ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES ON FIXED RETAINER ADHESIVE TOWARD TREPONEMA DENTICOLA
Objective: The objective of this study was to develop an antibacterial flowable composite containing silver nanoparticle (AgNP) for the prevention of
periodontal disease in fixed retainers.
Methods: About 1% AgNP was incorporated into a commercial composite (tetric flow). The experimental and control products were used to bond
fixed retainers to 28 extracted mandibular first premolars. The samples were randomly divided into four groups (n=7): Premolar bonded with
fiber-reinforced composites and tetric flow (F1); premolar bonded with fiber-reinforced composites and AgNP-enhanced tetric flow (F2); premolar
bonded with multistranded wires (MW) and tetric flow (M1); and premolar bonded with MW and AgNP-enhanced tetric flow (M2). Each sample was
submerged in a test tube containing bacterial Treponema denticola solution and was incubated for 24 h and 37°temperature. The bacterial colony in
each group was counted and analyzed.
Results: This study showed that there was significant difference of T. denticola colony count between groups with and without AgNP-enhanced
composites in both types of retainers.
Conclusion: AgNP-enhanced flowable composites reduce the bacteria T. denticola colony count and possibly inhibit periodontal disease.
2. Geserick M, Ball J, Wichelhaus A. Bonding fiber-reinforced lingual
retainers with color-reactivating flowable composite. J Clin Orthod
3. Hegde N, Vinayak GR, Vinay P, Handa A. Bonded retainers in
orthodontics : A review. Int J Dent Clin 2011;3:53-4.
4. Tacken MP, Cosyn J, De Wilde P, Aerts J, Govaerts E, Vannet BV, et al.
Glass fibre reinforced versus multistranded bonded orthodontic retainers:
A 2 year prospective multi-centre study. Eur J Orthod 2010;32:117-23.
5. Ku?era J, Marek I. Unexpected complications associated with
mandibular fixed retainers: A retrospective study. Am J Orthod
Dentofacial Orthop 2016;149:202-11.
6. Morita Y, Imai S, Hanyuda A, Matin K, Hanada N, Nakamura Y, et al.
Effect of silver ion coating of fixed orthodontic retainers on the growth
of oral pathogenic bacteria. Dent Mater J 2014;33:268-74.
7. Pandis N, Vlahopoulos K, Madianos P, Eliades T. Long-term periodontal
status of patients with mandibular lingual fixed retention. Eur J Orthod
8. Oldenburg SJ. Silver Nanoparticles : Properties and Applications Silver
Nanoparticles for Nanotoxicology Research. No. 730815; 2008. p. 2.
9. Wijnhoven SW, Peijnenburg WJ, Herberts CA, Hagens WI, Oomen AG,
Heugens EH. Nano-silver: A review of available data and knowledge
gaps in human and environmental risk assessment. Nanotoxicology
10. Tayab T, Shetty A, Kayalvizhi G. The clinical applications of fiber
reinforced composites in all specialties of dentistry an overview. Int J
Compos Mater 2015;5:18-24.
11. Rivera MF, Lee JY, Aneja M, Goswami V, Liu L, Velsko IM, et al.
Polymicrobial infection with major periodontal pathogens induced
periodontal disease and aortic atherosclerosis in hyperlipidemic
apoE(null) mice. PLoS One 2013;8:e57178.
12. Dashper SG, Seers CA, Tan KH, Reynolds EC. Virulence factors of the
oral spirochete Treponema denticola. J Dent Res 2011;90:691-703.
13. Gaibani P. Role of Treponema denticola in the Pathogenesis and
Progression of Periodontal Disease. Dottorato Di Ricerca Oncologia e
Patologia Sperimentale (Progetto n. 2 Patologia Sperimentale). Vol. 41.
Italy: Università di Bologna; 2010. p. 120.
14. Chukkapalli SS, Rivera MF, Velsko IM, Lee JY, Chen H, Zheng D,
et al. Invasion of oral and aortic tissues by oral spirochete Treponema
denticola in apoE(-/-) mice causally links periodontal disease and
atherosclerosis. Infect Immun 2014;82:1959-67.
15. Sela MN. Role of Treponema denticola in periodontal diseases. Crit
Rev Oral Biol Med 2001;12:399-413.
16. Batra P, Miglani R. Antibacterial properties of retainers with silver
nanoparticles. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 2016;150:208-9.
17. Durán N, Durán M, de Jesus MB, Seabra AB, Fávaro WJ, Nakazato G,
et al. Silver nanoparticles: A new view on mechanistic aspects on
antimicrobial activity. Nanomedicine 2016;12:789-99.
18. Farhadian N, Usefi Mashoof R, Khanizadeh S, Ghaderi E, Farhadian M,
Miresmaeili A, et al. Streptococcus mutans counts in patients wearing
removable retainers with silver nanoparticles vs those wearing
conventional retainers: A randomized clinical trial. Am J Orthod
Dentofacial Orthop 2016;149:155-60.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.