APPLICATION OF NOVEL NATURAL MUCOADHESIVE POLYMER IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF PENTOXIFYLLINE MUCOADHESIVE TABLETS
The present study was planned to develop a mucoadhesive tablet formulation of the drug pentoxifylline using natural mucoadhesive polymer from the plant Ocimum basilicum Linn. The isolated polymer was used to formulate the mucoadhesive tablets with 3 different concentrations and evaluated for various parameters such as thickness, friability, weight variation, hardness, mucoadhesive strength, swelling index, and the in-vitro drug release. The swelling index was indirectly proportional to the polymer concentration and the tablets with a high concentration of polymer showed better mucoadhesive strength. The in-vitro drug release showed that the drug release was indirectly proportional to the polymer concentration. The mechanism of drug release was found to be Fickian diffusion and followed the zero-order kinetics.
2. Good RJ. Definition on Adhesion. J Adhes. 1976;8:1–9.
3. Peppas NA, Buri PA. Surface, interfacial and molecular aspects of polymer bioadhesion on soft tissues. J Control Rel. 1985;2:257–75.
4. Longer M, Robinson J. Fundamental aspects of bioadhesion. Pharm Int. 1986;7(5):114–7.
5. Ahuja A, Khar RK Ali J. Mucoadhesive drug delivery systems. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 1997;23:489–515.
6. Nagai T, Machida Y. Advances in Drug Delivery, Mucosal Adhesive Dosage Forms. Pharm Int. 1985;6:196–200.
7. Gayot A. Bioadhesive polymers. J Pharm Belg. 1985;40:332–8.
8. Cilurzo F, Minghetti P, Selmin F, Casiraghi A Montanari L. Polymethacrylate salts as new low-swellable mucoadhesive materials. J Control Release. 2000;88:43–53.
9. Miyazaki S, Kawasaki N, Nakamura T Iwatsu M, Hayashi T, Hou WM, Attwood D. Oral mucosal bioadhesive tablets of pectin and HPMC: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Int J Pharm. 2000;204:127–32.
10. Han-Gon C, Jac-Hee J, Chul Soon Y, Chong-Dal R, Mi-Kyung L, Jeong-Hee H, Kyung-mi P Chong Kook K. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of omeperazole buccal adhesive tablet. J Control Release. 2000;68:405–12.
11. Sang-Chl S J-YK. Enhanced permeation of triamcinolone acetonide through the buccal mucosa. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2000;40:217–20.
12. Shah HP, Prajapati ST, Patel C. Gastroretentive drug delivery systems: from conception to commercial success. J Crit Rev. 2017;4:10–21.
13. Prakash V. Leafy spices. CRC Press; 1990. 114 p.
14. Simon J, Quinn J, Murray R. Basil: A source of essential oil. In: Advances in new crops. J Janick, Simon J, editors. Timloer Press, Portland, OR; 1990. 484–489 p.
15. Marotti M, Piccaglia R, Giovanelli E. Differences in essential oil composition of basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) Italian cultivars related to morphological characteristics. J Agric Food Chemo. 1996;44:3926–29.
16. Mathews S. Ocimum basilicum: A new non-conventional source of fibre. Food Chem. 1993;47:399–401.
17. Bhosale A, Hardikar S, Pathak A, Sable R. Investigation of Hydrogel Isolated from Seeds of Ocimum basilicum as Binder. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2009;71:320–22.
18. Khazaei N, Esmaiili M, Djomeh Z, Ghasemlou M, Jouki M. Characterization of new biodegradable edible film made from basil seed (Ocimum basilicum L.) gum. Carbohydr Polym. 2014;102:199–206.
19. Akbari I, Ghoreishi S, Habibi N. Supercritical CO2 generation of nanometric structure from Ocimum basilicum mucilage prepared for pharmaceutical applications. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2015;16:428–34.
20. Naji-Tabasi S, Razavi S, Mehditabar H. Fabrication of basil seed gum nanoparticles as a novel oral delivery system of glutathione. Carbohydr Polym. 2017;157:1703–13.
21. Rayegan A, Allafchian A, Sarsari IA, Kameli P. Synthesis and characterization of basil seed mucilage coated Fe3O4 magnetic nanoparticles as a drug carrier for the controlled delivery of cephalexin. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018;113:317–28.
22. Rao PS Srivastava HC. Tamarind In: Industrial Gums. 2nd edn. RL W, editor. Academic Press, New York; 1973. 369–411 p.
23. Parodi B, Russo E, Caviglioli G, Cafaggi S, Bignardi G. Development and Characterization of a Buccoadhesive Dosage Form of Oxycodone Hydrochloride. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 1996;22:445–50.
24. Kshirsagar R, Vikas J, Wattamwar S. Effect of different viscosity grade HPMC polymers on gastro retentive drug delivery of metformin Hcl. Int J Appl Pharm. 2009;1:44–50.
25. Gnanasekaran J, Arul B, Kothai R. Development of mucoadhesive tablet of pentoxifylline using a natural polymer from Manilkara zapota Linn. Int J Appl Pharm. 2019;11:88–91.
26. Kashappa Goud, Desai H, Pramod Kumar TM. Preparation and Evaluation of a Novel Buccal Adhesive System. AAPS PharmSci Tech. 2004;5:35–8.
27. Bagul U, Gujar K, Dhat S, Aphale S, Bhavsar M. In vitro study of mucoadhesive strength of polymers for mucoadhesive drug delivery systems. Int J Curr Pharm Res. 2009;1:42–6.
28. Patil P, Kulkarni S V, Rao B S, Ammanage A, Surpur C. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive tablets of ofloxacin using natural gums. Int J ofCurrent Pharm Res. 2011;3:93–8.
29. Gupta S, Dev A. Formulation and characterization of mucoadhesive matrix tablet of nizatidine. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2018;11:277–83.
30. Hadjiioannou TP, Christian GD Koupparis MA. Quantitative calculations in pharmaceutical practices and research. New Delhi: NY- VCH publishers Inc; 1993. 345–348 p.
31. Higuchi T. Mechanism of sustained action of medication. Theoretical Analysis of rate of release of solid drugs dispersed in solid matrices. J Pharm Sci. 1963;52:1145–9.
32. Bourne DW. Pharmacokinetics. In: Modern Pharmaceutical. 4th ed. Banker GS, Rhodes CT E, editor. New York: Marcel. Dekker Inc.; 2002. 67–92 p.
33. Korsmeyer RW, Gurny R, Doelker E, Buri P, Peppas NA. Mechanisms of solute release from porous hydrophilic polymers. Int J Pharm. 1983;15:25–36.
34. Mithal B, Kasid J. Evaluation of suspending properties of Plantago ovata (Ispaghula) seed husk. Indian J Pharm Sci. 1965;27:331–5.
35. Baveja S, Gupta B. Rheology of Aqueous dispersions of Plantago ovata seed husk-I. Indian J Pharm Sci. 1968;30:187–94.
36. Ilango R, Kavimani S, Mullaicharam AR JB. In vitro studies on buccal strips of glibenclamide using chitosan. Indian J Pharm Sci. 1997;59:232–5.
37. Saraswathi B, Balaji A, Umashankar M. Polymers in mucoadhesive drug delivery system-latest updates. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2013;5:423–30.
38. Park H, Robinson JR. Mechanisms of mucoadhesion of poly(acrylic acid) hydrogels. Pharm Res. 1987;4:457–64.
39. Peppas NA. Analysis of Fickian and non-Fickian drug release from polymers. Pharm Acta Helv. 1985;60:110–1.
40. Kumar BP, Kavitha P, Devi KJ. Formulation design and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablets of nitroglycerin. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2014;6:251–9.
41. Sood A, Panchagnula R. Drug Release Evaluation of Diltiazem CR Preparations. Int J Pharm. 1998;175:95–107.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.