DEVELOPMENT OF MUCOADHESIVE TABLET OF PENTOXIFYLLINE USING A NATURAL POLYMER FROM MANILKARA ZAPOTA LINN
Objective: The present study was designed to develop a mucoadhesive tablet of pentoxifylline using the mucoadhesive natural polymer from the plant Manilkara zapota Linn.
Methods: The tablets were formulated with three different concentrations of the isolated polymer and evaluated for thickness, weight variation, friability, hardness, swelling index, mucoadhesive strength and in vitro drug release. The swelling index was indirectly proportional to the mucoadhesive polymer of Manilkara zapota (MAPMZ) concentration.
Results: The tablets formulated with a high concentration of MAPMZ showed good mucoadhesion strength in 5 min contact time. The in vitro drug release studies indicated that the drug release was directly proportional to MAPMZ concentration. The release kinetics indicated that the drug release was followed the zero-order.
Conclusion: The MAPMZ showed the controlled release of pentoxifylline for a period of 12 h.
2. Ahuja A, Khar RK, Ali J. Mucoadhesive drug delivery systems. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 1997;23:489–515.
3. Nagai T, Machida Y. Advances in drug delivery, mucosal adhesive dosage forms. Pharm Int 1985;6:196–200.
4. Gayot A. Bioadhesive polymers. J Pharm Belg 1985;40:332–8.
5. Sang Chl S, Ja Young K. Enhanced permeation of triamcinolone acetonide through the buccal mucosa. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2000;40:217–20.
6. Cilurzo F, Minghetti P, Selmin F, Casiraghi A, Montanari L. Polymethacrylate salts as new low-swellable mucoadhesive material. J Controlled Release 2003;88:43–53.
7. Han Gon C, Jac Hee J, Chul Soon Y, Chong Dal R, Mi Kyung L, Jeong Hee H, et al. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of omeprazole buccal adhesive tablet. J Controlled Release 2000;68:405–12.
8. Miyazaki S, Kawasaki N, Nakamura T, Iwatsu M, Hayashi T, Hou WM, et al. Oral mucosal bioadhesive tablets of pectin and HPMC: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Int J Pharm 2000;204:127–32.
9. Shah HP, Prajapati ST, Patel C. Gastroretentive drug delivery systems: from conception to commercial success. J Crit Rev 2017;4:10–21.
10. Patricia LDM, Maria RAM, Luis COL, Jose DA, Ricardo EA, Jose DS. Cell wall biochemistry of sapodilla (Manilkara zapota) submitted to 1-methylcyclopropene. Braz J Plant Physiol 2008;20:85-94.
11. Abu Osman M, Mamunur Rashid M, Abdul Aziz M, Rowshahul Habib M, Rezaul Karim M. Inhibition of Ehrlich ascites carcinoma by Manilkara zapota L. stem bark in swiss albino mice. Asian Pac J Sauras Trop Biomed 2011;1:448-51.
12. Chanda SV, Nagani KV. Antioxidant capacity of Manilkara zapota L. leaves extracts evaluated by four in vitro methods. Nat Sci 2010;8:260-66.
13. Nair R, Chanda S. Antimicrobial activity of Terminalia catappa, Manilkara zapota and Piper betel leaf extract. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;70:390-3.
14. Kaneria M, Baravalia Y, Vaghasiya Y, Chanda S. Determination of antibacterial and antioxidant potential of some medicinal plants from Saurashtra region, India. Indian J Pharm Sci 2009;71:406-12.
15. Sudarshan Singh, Sunil B. Bothara Manilkara zapota (Linn.) seeds: a potential source of natural gum. ISRN Pharm 2014;1-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/647174
16. Rao PS, Srivastava HC. Tamarind. In: Industrial Gums. 2nd edn. Whistler RL (ed). Academic Press: New York; 1973. p. 369-411.
17. Parodi B, Russo E, Caviglioli G, Cafaggi S, Bignardi G. Development and characterization of a buccoadhesive dosage form of oxycodone hydrochloride. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 1996;22:445-50.
18. Kshirsagar R, Vikas J, Wattamwar S. Effect of different viscosity grade HPMC polymers on gastro retentive drug delivery of metformin Hcl. Int J Appl Pharm 2009;1:44-50.
19. Kashappa Goud, Desai H, Pramod Kumar TM. Preparation and evaluation of a Novel Buccal Adhesive System. AAPS PharmSciTech 2004;5:35.
20. Bagul U, Gujar K, Dhat S, Aphale S, Bhavsar M. In vitro study of mucoadhesive strength of polymers for mucoadhesive drug delivery systems. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2009;1:42–6.
21. Patil P, Kulkarni SV, Rao BS, Ammanage A, Surpur C. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive tablets of ofloxacin using natural gums. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2011;3:93–8.
22. Gupta S, Dev A. Formulation and characterization of mucoadhesive matrix tablet of nizatidine. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:277–83.
23. Hadjiioannou TP, Christian GD, Koupparis MA. Quantitative calculations in pharmaceutical practice and research. New York, NY: VCH Publishers Inc; 1993. p. 345-8.
24. Higuchi T. Mechanism of sustained action medication. Theoretical analysis of the rate of release of solid drugs dispersed in solid matrices. J Pharm Sci 1963;52:1145-9.
25. Bourne DW. Pharmacokinetics. In: Modern Pharmaceutics. 4th edn. Banker GS, Rhodes CT. eds. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker Inc; 2002. p. 67-92.
26. Korsmeyer RW, Gurny R, Doelker E, Buri P, Peppas NA. Mechanisms of solute release from porous hydrophilic polymers. Int J Pharm 1983;15:25-36.
27. Ilango R, Kavimani S, Mullaicharam AR, Jayakar B. In vitro studies on buccal strips of glibenclamide using chitosan. Indian J Pharm Sci 1997;59:232-5.
28. Saraswathi B, Balaji A, Umashankar M. Polymers in mucoadhesive drug delivery system-latest updates. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:423–30.
29. Park H, Robinson JR. Mechanisms of mucoadhesion of poly (acrylic acid) hydrogels. Pharm Res 1987;4:457-64.
30. Peppas NA. Analysis of fickian and non-fickian drug release from polymers. Pharm Acta Helv 1985;60:110-1.
31. Kumar BP, Kavitha P, Devi KJ. Formulation design and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablets of nitroglycerin. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:251–9.
32. Sood A, Panchagnula R. Drug release evaluation of diltiazem CR preparations. Int J Pharm 1998;175:95-107.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.