RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN DURATION OF USING ANTIPSYCHOTICS DRUGS WITH CARIES STATUS ON SKIZOFRENIA PATIENTS IN SPECIAL HOSPITAL PROVINCE SOUTH SULAWESI, 2017
Objective: To provide an overview of the use of antipsychotic drugs with caries status in schizophrenic patients in Makassar.
Methods: This was an analytic observational with cross-sectional study design. Sampling method was done with non-probability sampling with 74 samples. This research was conducted at the Regional Special Hospital of South Sulawesi Province on 19-23 April 2017. The data is presented in a table and analyzed by Spearman’s correlation test.
Results: The study showed that the distribution of the average value of DMF-T in each sex group, age, and the duration of medicine use with 8.61±5.51. There is a significant relationship between the duration of antipsychotic medicine use and dental caries status and is also found r-value at 0.359 which denotes a positive correlation.
Conclusion: There is a relationship between the duration of using antipsychotic drugs with dental caries status of schizophrenic patients as a result of the side effects of antipsychotic drugs.
2. Velasco Ortega, Guil L Monsalve, Garcia I Ortis, Guerra A Jimenez, Lopez, Egea J Segura. Dental caries status of patients with schizophrenia in seville, spain: a case-control study. Spain: Faculty of Dentistry, Dpto. De Estamotologia, University of Sevilla; 2017. p. 1-7.
3. Jovanovic S, Milovanovic SD, Gajic I, Mandic J, Latas M, Jankovic L. Oral health status of psychiatric in-patients in serbia and implications for their dental care. Croat Med J 2010;51:443-50.
4. Yadav K dan Prakash S. Dental caries: a review. Asian J Biomed Pharma Sci 2016;6:1-7.
5. Quock Ryan L. Dental caries: a current understanding and implications. USA: J Nature Sci 2015;1:1-4.
6. Nasir, Munith. Basics mental care; an introduction and theory. Jakarta: Salemba Medika; 2011. p. 41-5.
7. Velasco O, Segura EJJ, Cordoba AJ, Jimenez G, Monsalve G, Lopez. A comparison of dental status and treatment needs of older adults with and without chronic mental illness in sevilla, spain. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2013;18:71-5.
8. Arnalz A, Zumarraga M, Diez AI, Urlarte JJ, Moro J, Perez AMA. Oral health and the symptoms of schizophrenia. Psychiatr Res 2011;188:24-48.
9. Chu KY, Yang NP, Chou P, Chiu HJ, Chi LY. Comparison of oral health between in patients with schizophrenia and disabled people or the general population. J Tormos Med Assoc 2012;111:214-9.
10. Andayani Ridha, Nasution Abdillah Imroon, Qadri Muhammad. A comparison the number of colony of Streptococcus sp, Lactobacillus sp dan candida sp in schizophrenia patient’s oral cavity in mental hospital of banda aceh. Cakradonya Dent J 2014;6:645-54.
11. Gurbuz O, Alatas G, Kurt EH, Issever H, Dogan F. Oral health and treatment needs of institutionalized chronic psychiatric patients in istambul, turkey. Community Dent Health 2010;27:151-7.
12. Tani H, Uchida H, Zuzuki T, Shibuya Y, Shimanuki H, Watanabe K, et al. Dental condition in inpatients with schizophrenia; a large-scale multisite srvey. BMC Oral Health 2012;12:32-7.
13. Marya CM. A textbook of public health dentistry. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher; 2011. p. 204-6.
14. Veiga N, Pereira C, Amaral O. Prevalence and determinants of dental caries in a simple of schoolchildren of satao, portugal. Rev Port Estomatol Med Cir Maxilifac 2014;54:215-6.
15. Gines AC. Developmental psychology, a textbook for college students in psychology and teacher education. Philipines: REX Book Store; 2007. p. 19.
16. Davison GC, Neale JM, Kring AM. Abnormal psychology. 9th Edition. Jakarta: PT Raja Grafindo Perkasa; 2012. p. 444.
17. Djordjevic V, Jovanovic M, Milicik B, Stevanovic V, Dejanovic SD. Prevalence of dental caries in hospitalized patients with schizophrenia. Vojnosanitetski Pregled 2016;73:1102-8.
18. Krunic J, Stojanovic N, Ivkovic N, Stojic D. Salivary flow rates and decayed, missing, and filled teeth (DMFT) in female patients with schizophrenia on chlorphomazine therapy. J Dent Sci 2013;8:419.
19. Christiani M, Sudarso, Sestiawan D. The safety of antipsychotic medicine for schizopherics in general hospital of banyumas region 2009. Pharmacy 2010;7:8-13.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.