ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT BAWANG DAYAK (ELEUTHERINE BULBOSA (MILL.) URB) IN CREAM AGAINST PROPIONIBACTERIUM ACNES
Objective: The aims of this present study were to formulate antiacne cream consisting ethanolic extract of bawang dayak and evaluate antibacterial
activity of cream on day 0 and day 7 to see stability activity and preparation.
Methods: Cream formula of bawang dayak was evaluated organoleptic characteristics, homogeneity, pH, adhesion test, dispersion test, and in vitro
antibacterial against Propionibacterium acnes.
Results: The results of evaluate cream homogeneity were F3 and F4 on day 7 separate and non-homogen but all formula pH suitable for topical
application. On day 0, F1 and F2 shown antibacterial activity in category weak activity, F3 and F4 in category moderate activity, while on day 7 all
formula have antibacterial activity in category weak activity.
Conclusion: All cream formula potentials inhibit against P. acnes but this research must be improved both of preparation and stability activity.
2. Waghmare PR, Kakade PG, Takdhat PL, Nagrale AM, Thakare SM, Parate MM. Turmeric as medicinal plant for the treatment of acne vulgaris. PharmaTutor 2017;5:19-27.
3. Nazliniwaty, Arianto A, Rizky AN. Formulation and anti-aging effect of cream containing breadfruit (Artocarpus altilis (Parkinson) Fosberg) leaf extract. Int J Pharm Res 2016;9:524-30.
4. Awad El-Gied AA, Abdelkareem AM, Hamedelniel EI. Investigation of cream and ointment on antimicrobial activity of Mangifera indica extract. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2015;6:53-7.
5. Safitri FW, Syahreza A, Farah HS, Satrio BM, Hadi SI. Antioxidant activities and antioxidant cream formulation of corn silk (Zea Mays L)
extract. Sains Medika 2016;7:64-9.
6. Mhatre J, Smita N, Shraddha K. Formulation and evaluation of antibacterial activity of a herbal ointment prepared from crude extracts of Aegle marmelos, (BAEL). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6 Suppl 2:575?9.
7. Bhalodia NR, Shukla VJ. Antibacterial and antifungal activities from leaf extracts of cassia fistula l.: An ethnomedicinal plant. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2011;2:104-9.
8. Mali AS, Karekar P, Yadav AV. Formulation and evaluation of multipurpose herbal cream. Int J Sci Res 2015;4:5-611.
9. Shahbazi Y. Antibacterial and antioxidant properties of methanolic extracts of apple (Malus pumila), Grape (Vitis vinifera), Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) and common Fig (Ficus carica L.) fruits. Pharm Sci 2017;23:308-15.
10. Ihsan EA. A chemotherapeutic efficacy of some antibiotics and Punica grantum L. Extracts againts Propionibacterium acnes isolated from acne vulgaris cases. Med J Islam World Acad Sci 2014;22:139-44.
11. Padhi L, Panda SK. Antibacterial activity of Eleutherine bulbosa against multidrug-resistant bacteria. J Acad Med 2015;5:53-61.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.