DISSOLUTION ENHANCEMENT OF TETRAHYDROCURCUMIN USING OPTIMIZED SELF-NANOEMULSIFYING DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM
Objective: The objective of this study was to optimize and enhance the dissolution of tetrahydrocurcumin (THC) using optimized self-nanoemulsifying
drug delivery system (SNEDDS).
Methods: The optimization was carried out with the D-optimal design using software design expert 7.15. The independent variables were the amount
of oil, surfactant, and cosurfactant. The dependent variables were the emulsification time, percentage transmittance, and dissolution efficiency at
minute 15 (DE15). The dissolution profile of the THC in optimum formulation compared with the unmodified THC.
Results: The optimum formulation of SNEDDS consists of 10% Labrafil, 80% Kolliphor:Labrasol (1:3), and 10% PEG 400. The DE15 was 49.45%,
significantly higher than the THC unmodified (p<0.05). The estimated responses were not significantly different from the experimental responses.
The droplet size of the optimum formula was 53.8 nm, the polydispersity index was 0.043 and the zeta value was -19.4 mV.
Conclusion: The D-optimal design was successfully determining the optimum formula of THC loaded SNEDDS. The SNEDDS formulation was
increased the dissolution of THC.
Maruyama W, et al. Tetrahydrocurcumin extends life span and inhibits
the oxidative stress response by regulating the FOXO forkhead
transcription factor. Aging (Albany NY) 2011;3:1098-109.
2. Kumar B, Garg V, Singh A, Pandey NK, Singh S, Panchal S, et al.
Investigation and optimization of formulation parameters for selfnanoemulsifying
delivery system of two lipophilic and gastrointestinal
labile drugs using box-behnken design. Asian J Pharm Clin Res
3. Caixia W, Jianhua X, Xiaojuan W, Xiuwang H. Tetrahydrocurcumin
Solid Dispersion and Preparation Method Thereof. China Patent No.
4. Thongyai S, Kaewnopparat N, Songkro S. Influence of
polyvinylpyrollidone K30 on the complexation of tetrahydrocurcumin
with hydroxyprolyl ?-cyclodextrin. Naresuan Univ J Sci Technol
5. Xue X, Cao M, Ren L, Qian Y, Chen G. Preparation and optimization
of rivaroxaban by self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system
(SNEDDS) for enhanced oral bioavailability and no food effect. AAPS
6. Ganugapati J, Babu R, Ahuja SJ, Mukundan M, Vutukuru SS. Screening
and molecular docking studies of curcumin and its derivatives as
inhibitors of amyloid-b protein: A key protein in Alzheimer’s disease.
Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:98-101.
7. Astuti IY, Marchaban M, Martien R, Nugroho AE. Physical
characterization and dissolution study of pentagamavunon-0 loaded
self nano-emulsifying drug delivery system. Indones J Pharm
8. Montgomery DC. Design and Analysis of Experiments. 8th ed. New
York: John Wiley and Sons; 2012.
9. Khedekar K, Mittal S. Self emulsifying drug delivery system: A review.
Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4:14.
10. Mohamed IA, Sultan AS, Hussein IA, Al-Muntasheri GA. Influence
of surfactant structure on the stability of water-in-oil emulsions under
high-temperature high-salinity conditions. J Chem 2017;2017:1-11.
11. Lo JT, Lee TM, Chen BH. Nonionic microemulsions as solubilizers
of hydrophobic drugs: Solubilization of paclitaxel. Materials (Basel)
12. Eid AM, El-Enshasy HA, Aziz R, Elmarzugi NA. The preparation and
evaluation of self-nanoemulsifying systems containing Swietenia oil
and an examination of its anti-inflammatory effects. Int J Nanomedicine
13. Rowe RC, editor. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Eexcipients. 6th ed.
London: APhA, (PhP) Pharmaceutical Press; 2009.
14. Fawzia H, Mona EM, Shaheer M. Ocular drug delivery and the
importance of microemulsion as a potential delivery system. Int J
Pharm Chem Sci 2012;1:723-37.
15. Resende KX, Corrêa MA, de Oliveira AG, Scarpa MV. Effect of
cosurfactant on the supramolecular structure and physicochemical
properties of non-ionic biocompatible microemulsions. Rev Bras Ciênc
16. Dash RN, Mohammed M, Humaira T, Ramesh D. Design,
optimization and evaluation of glipizide solid self-nanoemulsifying
drug delivery for enhanced solubility and dissolution. Saudi Pharm J
17. Basalious EB, Shawky N, Badr-Eldin SM. SNEDDS containing
bioenhancers for improvement of dissolution and oral absorption
of lacidipine. I: Development and optimization. Int J Pharm
18. Marasini N, Yan YD, Poudel BK, Choi HG, Yong CS, Kim JO, et al.
Development and optimization of self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery
system with enhanced bioavailability by box-behnken design and
desirability function. J Pharm Sci 2012;101:4584-96.
19. Mohd AB, Sanka K, Bandi S, Diwan PV, Shastri N. Solid selfnanoemulsifying
drug delivery system (S-SNEDDS) for oral delivery
of glimepiride: Development and antidiabetic activity in albino rabbits.
Drug Deliv 2015;22:499-508.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.