A REVIEW: FLOATING DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM AS A TOOL TO IMPROVE DISSOLUTION RATE IN GASTRIC
Floating drugs are an effective way to lift the absorption of the drug in the stomach. Drugs made drugs last longer in the stomach so that the solubility process will occur effectively in the stomach. This review-journal was created by extracting indexed journals with the floating drug as journal keywords of 40 journals. This assessment of a floating drug for a new drug delivery system (NDDS) is established to elucidate the floating drugs delivery system (FDDS) based on existing literature. The most recent progress of FDDS includes the formulation and physiological variables that could affect gastric retention and formulation are dealt with in detail. This review also summarizes some approaches to prepare a floating system, evaluation methods and characterization for FDDS pharmaceutical dosage form and also its classification.
2. Rajesh K, Usharani E, Nagaraju R, Haribabu R, Siva RPV. Design and evaluation of sustained-release floating tablets for the treatment of gastric ulcers. J Pharm Sci Res 2009;1:81-7.
3. Brahma NS, Kwon HK. Floating drug delivery systems: an approach to oral controlled drug delivery via gastric retention. J Controlled Release 2000;63:35–259.
4. Kumaresh S Soppimath, Anandrao R Kulkarni, Walter ER, Tejraj MA. Systems to increase gastric microspheres as floating drug delivery retention of drugs. Drug Metab Rev 2001;33:149–60.
5. Bardonnet PL, Faivre V, Pugh WJ, Piffaretti JC, Falson F. Gastroretentive dosage forms: overview and special case of helicobacter pylori. J Controlled Release 2006;111:8.
6. Meka L, Bhaskar K, Krishna MC, Venkateswarlu V, Madhusudan RY. Preparation of a matrix type multiple-unit gastro retentive floating drug delivery system for captopril based on gas formation technique: in vitro evaluation. AAPS PharmSciTech 2008;9:2.
7. Desai S, Bolton S. A floating controlled-release drug delivery systems: in vitro–in vivo evaluation. Pharm Res 1993;10:1321–5.
8. Umamaheshwari B, Jain S, Bhadra D, Jain NK. Floating microspheres bearing acetohydroxamic acid for the treatment of helicobacter pylori. J Pharm Pharmacol 2003;55:1607–13.
9. Jain SK, Awasthi AM, Jain NK, Agrawal GP. Calcium silicate based microspheres of repaglinide for gastroretentive floating drug delivery: preparation and in vitro characterization. J Controlled Release 2005;107:300–9.
10. Soybel D. Anatomy and physiology of the stomach. Surg Clin North Am 2005;85:875-94.
11. Yie WC. Novel drug delivery system 2nd ed. New York: Marcel jekker Inc;1993. p. 21-3.
12. Garg S, Sharma S. Gastroretentive drug delivery system. Business Briefing Pharmatech 2003;203:160-6.
13. Vedha H, Chaudhary J. The recent developments on gastric floating drug delivery systems: an overveiwint. J Pharmtech Res 2010;2:524-34.
14. Jahnberg T, Abrahamsson H, Jansson G. Vagal gastric relaxation in the dog. Scand J Gastroenterol 1997;12:221–4.
15. Arakawa T, Uno H, Fukuda T. New aspects of gastric adaptive relaxation, reflex after food intake for more food: involvement of capsaicin-sensitive sensory nerves and nitric oxide. J Smooth Muscle Res 1997;33:81–8.
16. Arunachalam. Floating drug delivery systems: a review. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2011;2:76-83.
17. Shweta A. Floating drug delivery systems: a review. AAPS PharmSciTech 2005;6:372-9018.
18. Gangadharappa HV, Pramod KTM, Shiva KHG. Gastric floating drug delivery systems. Indian J Pharm Educ Res 2007;41:295-306.
19. Jose GR, Hosen O, Khalid S. Progresses in gastroretentive drug delivery systems, Pharmatech; 2013. p. 152-6.
20. Saritha D, Sathish D, Madhusudan RY. Formulation and evaluation of gastroretentive floating tablets of domperidone maleate. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:68-73.
21. Sharma N, Dilip A, Gupta MK, Mahaveer PK. A comprehensive review on the floating drug delivery system. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2011;2:428–41.
22. Avinash K, Dwivedi A, Praween K, Abhinav G. Floating drug delivery system a significant tool for stomach specific release of cardiovascular drugs. Int J Drug Dev Res 2014;4:116-29.
23. Sarawade A, Ratnaparkhi MP, Chaudhari S. An overview floating drug delivery system. Int J Res Dev Pharm Life Sci 2014;3:1106-15.
24. Mayavanshi AV, Gajjar SS. Floating drug delivery systems to increase gastric retention of drugs: a review. Res J Pharm Tech 2008;1:345-8.
25. Sharma M, Chaturvedi AK, Singh UK, Gupta RD, Gulati A, Sehgal P. Floating drug delivery system: an approach to oral controlled drug delivery. Pharm Res 2007;7:1-14.
26. Bhavjit K, Shivani S, Geetika S, Rupinder S, Sukhdev S, Meenu N, et al. A review on floating drug delivery system. Asian J Biomed Pharm Sci 2013;3:1-6.
27. Ziayur R, Mushir A, Khar RK. Design and evaluation of bilayer floating tablets of captopril. Acta Pharm 2006;56:49-57.
28. Khavare NB. A review on key parameters and components in designing of osmotic controlled oral drug delivery systems. Indian J Novel Drug Delivery 2010;2:122-31.
29. Shila V Devtalu, Ashwini EP, Manoj M Bari, Shashikant DB. A novel approach of bilayer tablet technology. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;21:46-52.
30. Nayak AK, Ruma M, Biswarup D. Gastroretentive drug delivery systems. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010;3:2-10.
31. Purnima T, Ubaidulla U, Roop KK, Vishwavibhuti. A review on floating drug delivery system. Int J Res Dev Pharm Life Sci 2012;1:1-10.
32. Meenakshi J, Ujjwal N, Jyotsana K, Devendra S. A review: gastroretentive drug delivery system (GRDDS). Indian J Pharm Biol Res 2015;3:82-92.
33. Uddin M, Rathi PB, Siddiqui AR, Sonawane AR, Gadade DD. Recent development in floating delivery systems for gastric retention of drugs an overview. Asian J Biomed Pharm Sci 2011;1:26-42.
34. Sameer S, Prajapai K, Pathak AK, Mishra A. Formulation and evaluation of floating tablet of captopril. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2011;3:333-41.
35. Rahman Z, Ali M, Khar RK. Design and evaluation floating labeled. Act Pharm 2006;56:49-57.
36. Yuvarej ST, Pushpendra SN, Garima RO. Devolpment and evaluation of floating microsperes of verapamil hydrochloride. Brazilian J Pharm Sci 2007;43:529-34.
37. Daisy CKS, Vengatesh S, Elango KR, Devi D, Deattu N, Christina P. Formulation and evaluation of floating tablets of ondansetron hydrochloride. Int J Drug Dev Res 2012;4:265-74.
38. Budaya UD, Surini S. Development of coproses excipient of xanthan gum and acacia gum as control release matrices for famotidin floating tabalet. Int J Appl Pharm 2020;23:192–6.
39. Chowdary KPR, Areefulla HS. Formulation and evaluation of floating tablets of gliclazide employing HPMC and carbopol. Int J Chem Sci 2012;10:1213-20.
40. Jassim ZE. Formulation and evaluation of furosemid liquid solid compact. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;8:39–48.
41. Muchtaridi M, Yuliani E, Sopyan I. Application off-line SPE-HPLC/UV methods in analysis of ofloxacin in human urine (in vitro). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;8:255–61.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.