SOLID STATE CHARACTERIZATION OF A NOVEL PHYSICAL INTERACTION (PARACETAMOL-CHLORPHENIRAMINE MALEATE)
Objective: Interactions of active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) as well as pharmaceutical excipients donâ€™t occur in a pharmaceutical dosage form. Base on structures of paracetamol (PCT) and chlorphenamine maleate (CTM), its combination is possible to give a physical interaction in the solid state. This study was conducted to investigate the physical interaction of PCT and CTM in the solid state.
Methods: Characterization used the polarization microscope, solubility test, powder x-ray diffraction (PXRD) to observe peak shifting in 2ÆŸ angle, and fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR) to examine wavenumber shifting.
Results: Results of solubility exhibited an increased solubility percentage with increasing concentration. Polarization microscope analysis presented a combination of crystal morphology after the two substances were mixed in an equimolar ratio. The result of melting point determination of each pure substance was 172 Â°C for PCT, 132 Â°C for CTM, and 170 Â°C for the mixture of the two substances in various ratios. Diffractogram showed the shifting at angle 2ÆŸ: 20.715, 19.355-23.500 and 21.840, 26.455-20.330 for concentration ratio of PCT: CTM in (132:0.5) and (330:1) respectively and any change in the functional group was observed from infrared spectrum.
Conclusion: All evaluation of PCT and CTM in the solid state has exhibited the interaction in solid condition.
2. Airaksinen S, Karjalainen M, Kivikero N, Westermarck S, Shevchenko A, Rantanen J, et al. Excipient selection can significantly affect solid-state phase transformation in formulation during wet granulation. AAPS PharmSciTech 2005;6:11â€“22.
3. LÃ¶bmann K, Strachan C, Grohganz H, Rades T, Korhonen O, Laitinen R. Co-amorphous simvastatin and glipizide combinations show improved physical stability without evidence of intermolecular interactions. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2012;81:159â€“69.
4. Hiendrawan S, Hartanti AW, Veriansyah B, Widjojokusumo E, Tjandrawinata RR. Solubility enhancement of ketoconazole via salt and cocrystal formation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;21:160â€“4.
5. Nugrahani I, Asyarie S, Soewandhi SN, Ibrahim S. Solid state interaction between amoxicillin trihydrate and potassium Clavulanate. Malays J Pharm Sci 2007;5:45â€“57.
6. Putra OD, Nugrahani I, Ibrahim S, Uekusa H. Pembentukan padatan semi kristalin dan ko-kristal parasetamol. J Mat Sains 2013;17:83â€“8.
7. Maeno Y, Fukami T, Kawahata M, Yamaguchi K, Tagami T, Ozeki T, et al. Novel pharmaceutical cocrystal consisting of paracetamol and trimethylglycine, a new promising cocrystal former. Int J Pharm 2014;473:179â€“86.
8. Sopyan I, Fudholi A, Muchtaridi M, Puspitasari I. A simple effort to enhance solubility and dissolution rate of simvastatin using co-crystallization. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:342â€“6.
9. S MB, Dengale SJ, Shenoy GG, Bhat K. Preparation, solid-state characterisation of paclitaxel and naringen cocrystals with improved solubility. Int J Appl Pharm 2016;8:32â€“7.
10. Nugrahani I, Ibrahim S, Puspita DD. Kristal biru2, 3 dimetil-N-fenilalanin (DNF) hasil interaksi kimia padatan asam mefenamat dengan asam oksalat. J Mat Sains 2013;17:98â€“104.
11. Departemen Kesehatan RI. Farmakope Indonesia Edisi IV. IV. Jakarta: Depertementkesehatan RI; 1995. p. 63,210,649.
12. Naid T, Kasim S, Pakaya M. Penetapan kadar parasetamoldalam tablet kombinasi parasetamoldengan kofein secaraspektofotometri ultraviolet sinar tampak. Univ Hasanudin Makasar 2011;15:77â€“82.
13. Sopyan I, Fudhloli A, Muchtaridi M, Sari IP, Permatasari D. A novel of derivative spectrophotometry as rapid and accurate method in application of simvastatin co-crystal assay. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2017;20:301â€“6.
14. Sopyan I, Fudholi A, Muchtaridi M, Sari IP. Simvastatin-nicotinamide co-crystal: design, preparation and preliminary characterization. Trop J Pharm Res 2017;16:297-302.
15. Lin HL, Zhang GC, Lin SY. Real-time co-crystal screening and formation between indomethacin and saccharin via DSC analytical technique or DSCâ€“FTIR microspectroscopy. J Therm Anal Calorim 2014;120:679â€“87.
16. Zaini E, Halim A, Sundani NS, Setyawan D. Peningkatan laju pelarutan trimetropim melalui metode ko-kristalisasidengan nikotinamida. J Farm Indones 2011;5:205â€“12.
17. Good DJ, RodrÃguez-Hornedo N. Solubility advantage of pharmaceutical cocrystals. Cryst Growth Des 2009;9:2252â€“64.
18. Delori A, Galek PTA, Pidcock E, Patni M, Jones W. Knowledge-based hydrogen bond prediction and the synthesis of salts and cocrystals of the anti-malarial drug pyrimethamine with various drug and GRAS molecules. Cryst Eng Comm 2013; 15:2916â€“28.
19. KarpiÅ„ska J. Derivative spectrophotometryâ€”recent applications and directions of developments. Talanta 2004;64:801â€“22.
20. Chadha R, Saini A, Arora P, Jain DS, Dasgupta A, Row TNG. Multicomponent solids of lamotrigine with some selected coformers and their characterization by thermoanalytical, spectroscopic and X-ray diffraction methods. Cryst Eng Comm 2011;13:6271â€“84.
21. Caira MR, Nassimbeni LR, Van Oudtshoorn B. X-ray structural characterization of anhydrous metronidazole benzoate and metronidazole benzoate monohydrate. J Pharm Sci 1993; 82:1006â€“9.
22. Alam MS, Lee DU. Spectral (FT-IR, FT-Raman, UV, and fluorescence), DFT, and solidstate interaction analyses of (E)-4-(3,4-dimethoxybenzylideneamino)-1,5-dimethyl-2-phenyl-1H-pyrazol-3(2H)-one. J Mol Struct 2017;1128:174â€“85.
23. Brittain HG. Vibrational spectroscopic studies of co-crystals and salts. 3. cocrystal products formed by benzene carboxylic acids and their sodium salts. Cryst Growth Des 2010;10:373-90.