DEVELOPMENT AND CHARACTERIZATION OF TOPICAL NANOPARTICULATE ANTIPSORIATIC POLYHERBAL CREAM
Objective: Psoriasis is an autoimmune skin disease that causes scaling and inflammation of the skin and occurs when the immune system sends out faulty signals that speed up the growth cycle of skin cells than normal. The lack of possible cure and associated disadvantages of allopathic medicines in the topical treatment of psoriasis has led to extensive research for anti-psoriatic activities of plant-based drugs. In our previous work, the potential of Nanostructured Lipid Carriers (NLCs) enriched with the powdered leaves extracts of Azadirachta indica (AE), Lawsonia inermis (LE) and fruit extract of Mallotus philippensis (ME) respectively was investigated for antipsoriatic activity. In the present study, the authors have focused on the topical cream formulation containing the NLCs of AE, LE and ME and assessing the antipsoriatic activity of prepared cream formulation.
Methods: The Drug loaded NLCs were prepared via hot homogenization technique and incorporated into water in oil (w/o) cream base that was prepared by emulsification method.
Results: Inspite of the low amount of the drug loading in NLCs their potency was much higher as displayed in Advanced Preclinical studies, cell line and immunomodulatory studies for psoriasis indicating the suitability of NLCs loaded creams for skin applications due to their various desirable effects on the skin. Occlusive properties of the prepared NLC on the skin provide an increase in drug penetration particularly via skin moisturization. The in vitro drug diffusion studies suggest the prolonged and almost complete release of AE, LE and ME from NLC based cream up to 24 h that was found to be 81.24±0.51%, 74.31±0.25% and 70.43±0.78% respectively. The literature survey supports the novelty of such topical anti-psoriatic polyherbal nanoparticulate cream.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that the AE, LE and ME loaded NLC based cream can be used for prolonged topical delivery of drugs for managemet of Psoriasis.
KEYWORDS: Herbal Anti-psoriatic Nanoparticulate Cream, Cell line study, Advanced Preclinical Trials.
2. Tejinder Kaur Marwaha. Formulation Development of Anti-psoriatic Topical Babchi Oil Emulgel. Research & Reviews: Journal of Herbal Science 2013; 2:1-10.
3. Gazi Shaikh, Sadath Ali, S Y Talmale, Ulhas.S.Surwase, Kadam Bhalchandra, Shaikh Luqman. Alternative Medicine for Psoriasis – Natural Herbal Ayurvedic Treatment-A Review. International Journal of Ayurvedic And Herbal Medicine 2012; 2: 455–463.
4. Kaur T. Formulation Development of Anti-psoriatic Topical Babchi Oil Emulgel Formulation Development of Anti-psoriatic Topical Babchi Oil Emulgel. Research & Reviews: Journal of Herbal Science 2017; 2: 1-14.
5. Chandrasekar R, Sivagami B. Alternative Treatment for Psoriasis -A Review. Int J Res Dev Pharm Life Sci 2016; 5: 2188–97.
6. Ghazanavi, Khaklid. Amraz-e-Jildaur Ilaj-e-Nabvi. Farid Book Pvt Ltd; 2004. P. 123-136, 214-217, 257, 276.
7. Shashank Kumar and Pandey AK. Chemistry and biological activities of flavonoids: an overview. The Scientific World Journal 2013: 1-16.
8. R. Chaibi,M. Romdhane, A. Ferchichi, J. Bouajila. Assessment of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cholinesterase and cytotoxic activities of Henna (Lawsonia inermis) flowers. Journal of Natural Products 2015; 8: 85-92.
9. Mayank Gangwar, R. K. Goel, Gopal Nath. Mallotus philippinensis Muell. Arg (Euphorbiaceae): Ethnopharmacology and Phytochemistry Review. BioMed Research International 2014: 1-13.
10. Li B, Ge ZQ. Nanostructured lipid carriers improve skin permeation and chemical stability of idebenone. AAPS PharmSciTech 2012; 13: 276-83.
11. Leelapornpisid P, Chansakaow S, Na-boon long S, Jantrawut P. Development of cream containing nanostructured lipid carriers loaded marigold flowers extract for anti-wrinkle application. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2014; 6: 5–9.
12. Musallam Almousallam, Claudia Moia, Huijun Zhu. Development of nanostructured lipid carrier for dacarbazine delivery. International Nano Letters 2015; 5: 241–248.
13. Shadab Khan , Ghazala Mulla , Kiran Bhise. Antipsoriatic Potential of Polyherbal Paste. Research & Reviews: Journal of Herbal Science 2013; 8: 20-32.
14. Shadab Khan , Ghazala Mulla , Kiran Bhise. Topical anti-psoriatic nanoparticulate drug delivery system. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics article reference no: IJAP 36536. UNDER REVIEW.
15. K P Rao, Khaliq K, Kharat SS, Sagare P, Sk P. Preparation and evaluation of o/w cream for skin psoriasis. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences 2010 ; 1.
16. Mahapatra Annada Prasad, Mishra Dipak Kumar, Panda Prabhudutta. Formulation and evaluation of cream prepared from corton spardiflorus morong and their wounf healing activity. IJRAP 2012; 3: 803-7.
17. Shankar R, Sarangi B, Gupta R, Pathak K. Formulation and Characterization of Polyherbal Cream for Skin Manifestations. J Asian Assocation of Schools of Pharmacy 2016; 5: 360–366.
18. Razi M, Khan U, Hussain M, Masood S, Ur S, Nazir R. Formulation Design and In Vitro Characterization of Etoricoxib Cream for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2014;10: 93–104.
19. Divya Pingili, Deepa Amminbavi , Archana Awasthi, Faisal Mohd Shamim Khan. Formulation, evaluation and in votro antibacterial screening of herbal gel containing manilkara hexandra (roxb) dubard leaf extract. International journal of
pharmaceutical sciences and research 2018; 9: 702–7.
20. Kotta Ktanthi Kumar, K. Sasikanth, M. Sabareesh, N. Dorabu, Formulation and evaluation of Diacerien Cream. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2011; 4: 93-98.
21. Helal DA, El-rhman DABD, Abdel-halim SA, El-nabarawi MA. Formulation and evaluation of fluconazole topical gel. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences 2012; 4: 12–4.
22. Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 1979; 95: 351-8.
23. Panasenko OM, Evgina SA, Driomina ES, et al. Hypochlorite induces lipid peroxidation in blood lipoproteins and phospholipid liposomes. Free Radic Biol Med 1995; 19: 133-40.
24. Yokozawa T., Wang S.T., Chen P.C, Hattori M. Inhibition of Nitric oxide release by an aqueous extract of Tinospora tuberculata. Phytother Res 2000; 14: 51-53.
25. T. Mosmann. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. Journal of Immunological Methods 1983: 12-16.
26. Colombo I, Sangiovanni E, Maggio R, Mattozzi C, Zava S, Corbett Y. HaCaT Cells as a Reliable In Vitro Differentiation Model to Dissect the Inflammatory / Repair Response of Human Keratinocytes. Medistors of Inflammation 2017: 1–12.
27. Li Z, Yu J, Liu L, Wei Z, Ehrlich ES. Coxsackie virus A16 Infection Induces Neural Cell and Non-Neural Cell Apoptosis In Vitro. PLOS One 2014; 9: 1-10.
28. Takada M, Noguchi A, Sayama Y, Kurohane Kaneko Y, Ishikawa T. Inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor-mediated initial Ca(2+) mobilization constitutes a triggering signal for hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis in INS-1 ?-cells. Biol Pharm Bull 2011; 34: 954-8.
29. Singhal M, Kansara N. Cassia tora Linn Cream Inhibits Psoriasis in Mouse Tail Model. Pharmaceutical Crops 2012; 3: 1-6.
30. Manmohan Singhal and Niraj Kansara. Cassia tora Linn Cream Inhibits Ultraviolet-B-Induced Psoriasis in Rats. ISRN Dermatol 2012: 16.
31. Nakaguma H, Kambara T, Yamamoto T. Rat ultraviolet ray B photodermatitis: an experimental model of psoriasis vulgaris. Int J Exp Pathol 1995; 76: 65–73.
32. Nagamani M, Prahaladu P, Vijayababu PVSS, Ashalata K, Kusuma Kumari P, Kumari KL. Lipid Peroxidation Product As A Marker of Oxidative Stress In Psoriasis -A Case Control Study In North Coastal Andhra Pradesh. IOSR J Dent Med Sci 2015;14 : 2279–861.
33. Ignacio N.R.S., Ferreira P.L.J., Almeida B.M., Kubelka F.C. Nitric oxide production by murine peritoneal macrophages in vitro and in vivo treated with Phyllanthus tenellus extracts, J. Ethnopharmacol 2001; 74: 181-187.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.