MESOPOROUS AEROGEL OF ARENGA PINNATA ENDOSPERM AND THEIR APPLICATION TO ADSORB VITAMIN E FROM PALM FATTY ACID DISTILLATE
Objective: The mesoporous aerogel (MA) has been produced from Arenga pinnata endosperm (APE) and was used to adsorb vitamin E from palm fatty acid distillate (PFAD).
Methods: The adsorption process was carried out through the alcogel stage, followed by drying under dry air and reduced pressure. In the present work response surface methodology based on Box-Benhken design experiment was used to investigate the effect of dry APE types (1–3), the concentration of APE (1–1.5%, wt./v) and solvent exchange time (12–36 h).
Results: Based on the result, the optimum parameter to produce aerogel with low-density value are as follows: APE type of 1 with a concentration of 1.5% (wt./v) and 48 h solvent exchange time. The MA occurred from this parameters has diameter of 3.142–3.212 nm. The surface morphology of MA had changed from roughly hollowed to smooth and the amorf intensity decreased after vitamin E adsorption process.
Conclusion: The APE aerogels could adsorb vitamin E because the pores of aerogels and the galactomannan as the main component contains the branches galactose, which have hydrophilic phase and mannose which have hydrophobic phase, therefore, hydrophobic vitamin E are easy adsorbed on aerogels.
2. Garcia Gonzalez CA, Alnaief M, Smirnova I. Polysaccharide-based aerogels-promising biodegradable carriers for drug delivery systems. Carbohydr Polym 2011;86:1425-38.
3. Smirnova I, Mamic J, Arlt W. Adsorption of drugs on silica aerogels. Langmuir 2003;19:8521-5.
4. Jin H, Nishiyama Y, Wada M, Kuga S. Nanofibrillar cellulose aerogels. Colloids Surf A 2004;240:63-7.
5. Glenn GM, Irving DW. Starch-based microcellular foams. Cereal Chem 1995;72:155-61.
6. Tarigan JB, Purba D, Zuhra CF. Incorporation of vitamin E onto cross-linked galactomannan phosphate matrix and in vitro study. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:355-8.
7. Nesaretnam K, Ambra R, Selvaduray KR. Tocotrienol-rich fraction from palm oil affects gene expression in tumors resulting from MCF-7 cell inoculation in athymic mice. Lipids 2004;39:459.
8. Abdelbaset Taher A, Nuruddin Mohammed N, Sherif M, Abdelnasser I. Cardioprotective effect of vitamin E against myocardial infarction induced by isoprenaline in albino rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:273-6.
9. Musalmah M, Nizrana M, Fairuz A. Comparative effects of palm vitamin E and ?-tocopherol on healing and wound tissue antioxidant enzyme levels in diabetic rats. Lipids 2005;40:575-80.
10. Rimm EB, Stampfer MJ, Ascherio A. Vitamin E consumption and the risk of coronary heart disease in men. New England J Med 1993;328:1450-6.
11. Grace AC, Prabha T, Jagadeeswaran M. Analytical method development for simulataneous determination of ubidecarenone and vitamin E acetate in capsule dosage form by HPLC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;11:79-84.
12. Evans JC, Kodali DR, Addis PB. Optimal tocopherol concentrations to inhibit soybean oil oxidation. J Am Oil Chem Soc 2002;79:47-51.
13. Desai KGH, Jin Park H. Recent developments in microencapsulation of food ingredients. Drying Tech 2005;23:1361-94.
14. Wandrey C, Bartkowiak A, Harding SE. Materials for encapsulation. In: Zuidam NJ, Nedovic V. eds. Encapsulation technologies for active food ingredients and food processing. New York, NY: Springer New York; 2010. p. 31-100.
15. Orwa C, Mutua A, Kindt R. Agroforestree database: a tree species reference and selection guide version 4.0. World Agroforestry Centre ICRAF, Nairobi, KE; 2009.
16. Tarigan J, Barus D, Dalimunthe A. Physicochemical properties of Arenga pinnata Merr. endosperm and its antidiabetic activity for nutraceutical application. J Adv Pharm Tech Res 2020;11:1-5.
17. Schauss A. Voon WFK, inventors; palm fiber-based dietary supplements; 2006.
18. Rao CVN, Choudhury D, Bagchi P. A water-soluble galactomannan from coconut (Cocos nucifera): part I. Methylation studies. Canadian J Chem 1961;39:375-81.
19. De Marco I, Reverchon E. Starch aerogel loaded with poorly water-soluble vitamins through supercritical CO2 adsorption. Chem Eng Res Des 2017;119:221-30.
20. Buriti FCA, dos Santos KMO, Sombra VG. Characterisation of partially hydrolyzed galactomannan from caesalpinia pulcherrima seeds as a potential dietary fibre. Food Hydrocoll 2014;35:512-21.
21. Cerqueira MA, Souza BWS, Simoes J. Structural and thermal characterization of galactomannans from non-conventional sources. Carbohydr Polym 2011;83:179-85.
22. Hu C, Kong Q, Yang D, Pan Y. Isolation and structural characterization of a novel galactomannan from Eremurus anisopterus (Ker. et Kir) regel roots. Carbohydr Polym 2011;84:402-6.
23. Tarigan JB, Kaban J, Zulmi R. Microencapsulation of vitamin e from palm fatty acid distillate with galactomannan and gum acacia using spray drying method. IOP Conference Series: Materials Sci Eng 2018;309:012095.
24. Prosapio V, Reverchon E, De Marco I. Incorporation of liposoluble vitamins within PVP microparticles using supercritical antisolvent precipitation. J CO2 Util 2017;19:230-7.
25. Mehling T, Smirnova I, Guenther U, Neubert RHH. Polysaccharide-based aerogels as drug carriers. J Non-Cryst Solids 2009;355:2472-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.