SOMES: A REVIEW ON COMPOSITION, FORMULATION METHODS AND EVALUATIONS OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF “SOMES” DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM
SOMES DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM
Many drugs are available in market for several diseases, disorder or even for a condition, but it is difficult to select a suitable carrier to attain maximum bioavailability and potential for a potent drug. Attaining a controlled and sustained release of a drug is purely focussed on selection of a carrier (natural, synthetic and hybrid) like nanosomes. Nanosomes have become a prominent tool in the field of pharmacy. Nanosomes are small uniform structures which delivers the drug to the specific targeted site, which mainly depends upon presence of ligands, shape, size and surface chemistry. Nanosomes are available in various types which include Niosomes, Liposomes, Electrosomes, Aquasomes, Transfersomes, Phytosomes, Enzymosomes, Ethosomes, Invasome and Sphingosomes. In general, all these nanosomes are quite similar in nature with minute differences in their vesicular characteristics and composition. This review traces various ‘somes’ composition and their role in the formulation, applications, advantages, disadvantages, common formulation procedures and evaluation parameters.
2. Kaur Dhanvir, Kumar Sandeep. Niosomes: present scenario and future aspects, Journal of drug delivery therapeutics, 2018; 8 (5): 35-43.
3. Saeid Moghassemi, Afra hadjizadeh. Nano-niosomes as nanoscale drug delivery systems: an illustrated review, Journal of controlled release, 2014; 185: 22-36.
4. Amarnath Sharma, Uma Sharma S. Liposomes in drug delivery: progress and limitations, International journal of pharmaceutics, 1997; 154:123-140.
5. Sanjay Saha, Anupam Sarma, Pranjal Saikia, Tapash Chakraborty.Phytosomes: a brief overview, Scholars academic journal of pharmacy, 2013; 2 (1): 12-20.
6. Inde Virbhadra V, Jangme CM, Chavan DV. A review on transferosome: is a boon to human life, International research journal of pharmaceutical and application sciences, 2013; 3 (2):174-179.
7. Mohd. Kamran, Abdul Ahad, Mohd. Aqil, Syed Sarim Imam, Yasmin Sultana, Asgar Ali. Design, formulation and optimization of novel soft nano-carriers for transdermal olmesartan medoxomil delivery; Invitro characterization and in vivo pharmacokinetic assessment, International journal of pharmaceutics, 2016; 505 (1-2): 147-158.
8. Lakshmi PK, Kalpana B, Prasanthi D.Invasomes-novel vesicular carriers for enhanced permeation; Systematic reviews in pharmacy, 2013; 3(1): 26-30.
9. Surendra Tripathy, Dilip K Patel, Lipika Baro, Suresh K Nair, A review on phytosomes, their characterization, advancement and potential for transdermal application; Journal of drug delivery and therapeutics, 2013; 3 (3):147-152.
10. Yallappamaharaj R Hundekar, Basavaraj Nanjwade.K, Anas Mohameid S, Nagi Idris F, Teerapol Srichana, Azam Sharif Md shafloul. Nanomedicine to tumor by enzymosomes, Journal of Nanotechnology, Nano medicine & Nanobiotechnology, 2015; 2(1): 004.
11. Shefrin S, Sreelaxmi CS, Vishnu Vijayan, Sreeja C Nair.Enzymosomes: a rising effectual tool for targeted drug delivery sytem, International journal of applied pharmaceutics 2017; 9: 1-9.
12. Swarnalata Saraf, Paliwal S, Shailendra Saraf. Sphingosomes a novel approach to vesicular drug delivery; International journal of current scientific research, 2011; 1(2): 63-68.
13. Divya Aggarwal, Ujjwal Nautiyal. Ethosomes: A review, International journal of pharmaceutical and medicinal research, 2016; 4(4): 354-363.
14. Alon Szczupak, Dror Aizik, Sarah Morais, Yael Vazana, Yoav Barak, Edward A. Bayer and Lital Alfonta. The electrosomes: a surface-displayed enzymatic cascade in a biofuel cell’s anode and a high density surface-displayed biocathodic enzyme; Nanomaterials, 2017; 7:153.
15. Chinmaya Keshari Sahoo, Venkata Ramana D, Satyanarayana K, Dibyalochan mohanty. Drug delivery through Aquasomes, Journal of advanced research, 2018;1 (3): 156-162.
16. Kulkarni PR, Yadav JD, Vaidya KA ,Gandhi PP. Transfersomes: an emerging tool for transdermal drug delivery, International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research 2011;2(4):735-741.
17. Dharmendra Solanki, Lalit Kushwah, Mohit motiwale, Vicky Chouhan. Transferosomes- a review, World journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences, 2016; 5(10): 435-449.
18. Inde Virbhadra, Jangme CM, Dr.Patil SS, Inde GS, Chavan DV,Yedale AD, Makne PD. A review on aquasomes: a potential drug delivery carrier, International journal of pharmaceutical and applied sciences, 2013, 3 (2), 124-129.
19. Soraya Babaie, Aziizeh Rahmani Del Bakshshayesh, Ji Won Ha, Hamed Hamishekar, Ki Hyun Kim. Invasome: A novel nanocarrier for transdermal drug delivery, Nanomaterials 2020; 10: 341.
20. Shuo Chen, Sara Hanning, James Falconer, Michelle Locke, Jingyuan wen. Recent advances in non ionic surfactant vesicles niosomes: fabrication, characterization, pharmaceutical and cosmetic applications, European journal of pharmaceutics and bio pharmaceutics, 2019;144:18-39.
21. Maherani B, Arab-tehrany E, Mozafari MR, Gaiani C, Linder M. Liposomes: a review of manufacturing techniques and targeting strategies, Current nanoscience, 2011; 7: 436-452.
22. Harshal Ashok Pawar, Bhagyashree Dilip Bhangale. Phytosomes as a novel biomedicine: a micro encapsulated drug delivery system, Journal of bio analysis and bio medicine; 2015: 7(1), 006-012.
23. Pranshu Tangri, Shaffi Khurana. Niosomes: formulation and evaluation, International journal of bio pharmaceutics, 2011; 2 (1): 47-53.
24. Nina Dragicevic-Curic, Dietrich Scheglmann, Volker Albrecht, Alfred Fahr. Development of different temporfin-loaded invasmes-novel nanocarriers of temoporfin: Characterization, Stability and in vitro skin penetration, Colloids and surfaces B: Biointerface, 2009;70:198-206.
25. Sriram vemuri, Rhodes CT. Preparation and characterization of liposomes as therapeutic delivery systems, A review; pharmaceutics acta helvetiae, 1995;70:95-111.
26. Sanjib Bhattacharya.Phytosomes: the new technology for enhancement of bio availability of botanicals and neutraceuticals; International journal of health research, 2009;2(3): 225-232.
27. El-Ridy MS, Abd Elrahman AA, Awad GM, Khalil R M,Younis MM. Invitro and in vivo evaluation of niosomes containing celecoxib, International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research, 2014; 5(11): 4677-4688.
28. Louise A Meure, Neil R Fariba and Fariba Dehgani. Conventional and dense gas techniques for the production of liposomes, Review article, 2008; 9 (3): 798-809.
29. Ashok K, Rajendra Kumar A, Sreekanth Nama, Brahmaiah B, Prasanna kumar Desu, Chandu Babu Rao; Sphingosomes: a novel vesicular drug delivery system; International journal of pharmaceutical research and bio-science, 2013; 2 (2): 305-312.
30. Jessy Shaji, Rinki Bajaj; Transethosomes: a new prospect for enhanced transdermal delivery, International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research, 2018; 9(7): 2681-2685.
31. Biswal S, Murthy PN, Sahu J, Sahoo P, Amir F. Vesicles of non-ionic surfactants (niosomes) and drug delivery potential, International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and nanotechnology, 2008; 1(1):1-9.
32. Peeyush Bhardwaj, Purnima Tripathi, Rishikesh Guptha, Sonia Pandey. A review of niosomal research in the last decade, Journal of drug delivery sciences and technology, 2020; 56:101581.
33. Kumar Abhinav, Pal Jogender lal, Jaiswal Amit, Singh Vishwabhan. Review of niosomes as novel drug delivery system, International research journal of pharmacy, 2011;202 (5): 61-65.
34. Roopesh Sachan, Tarun Parashar, Soniya, Gaurav Singh, Vishal Singh, Satyanand Tyagi, Chirag Patel, Anil Gupta. Drug carrier transferosomes: a novel tool for transdermal drug delivery system, International journal of research and development in pharmacy and life sciences, 2013; 2: 309-316.
35. Modi CD, Bharadia PD. Transfersomes: new dominants for transdermal drug delivery, American journal of pharmaceutics, 2012; 2 (3): 71-91.
36. Shahabade Gururaj S, Bhosale Ashok V, Mutha swati S, Bhosale Nilesh R, Khade Prashant H, Bhadane Nishant P, Shinde Sagar T. An overview on nanocarrier technology-Aquasomes, Journal of pharmacy research 2009; 2 (7): 1174-1177.
37. Marakanam S, Umashankar, Rajesh K.Sachdeva, Monica Gulati. Aquasomes: a promising carrier for peptides and protein delivery, Nanomedicine; nanotechnology, biology and medicine, 2016; 6: 419-426.
38. Kataria Sahil, Sandhu Premjeet, Bilandi Ajay, Akanksha Midha, Kapoor Bhawna. Stealth liposomes: a review, International journal of research in ayurveda and pharmacy; 2011: 2 (5) 1534-1538.
39. Sharma Shailesh, Sharma Neelam, Kumar Sandeep, Guptha GD. Liposomes: a review, Journal of pharmacy research, 2009; 2 (7): 1163-1167.
40. Samad A, Suktana Y, Aqil M. Liposomal drug delivery sytems: an update review, Current drug delivery, 2007; 4: 297-305.
41. Merve Karpuz, Mine Silindir Gunay, yekta Ozer A. Liposomes and phytosomes for phyto constituents, Advances in the development of novel carriers for bio activities and biological agents, 2020;18:525-553.
42. Arun Kumar, Bimlesh kumar, Sachin Kumar Singh, Barinder Kaur, Saurabh singh. A review on phytosomes: novel approach for herbal phytochemicals, Asian journal of pharmaceutical and clinical research, 2017;10(10):41-47.
43. Shirsand SB, Para MS, Nagendra Kumar D, Kanani KM, Keerthy D. Formulation and evaluation of ketoconazole niosomal gel drug delivery system, International journal of pharmaceutical investigation. 2012;2(4):201.
44. Akshay Singha Roy, Sudipta Das, Arnab Samanta. Design, formulation and evaluation of liposome containing Isoniazid, International journal of applied pharmaceutics. 2018;10:(2), 52-56.
45. Tawheed Amin, Suman Vikas Bhat. A review on phytosome technology as a novel approach to improve the bio availability of neutraceuticals, International journal of advancements in research and technology, 2012;1(3):1-5.
46. Neha Narang. Aquasomes: self assembled systems for the delivery of bio active molecules, Asian journal of pharmaceutics 2012;6:95-100.
47. Srinivas S, Anand Kumar Y, Hemanth A, Anitha M. Preparation and evaluation of niosomes containing Aceclofenac, Digest journal of nanomaterials and bio structures, 2010; 5(1): 249-254.
48. Lorena Tavano, Luigi Gentile, Cesaro Oliviero Rossi, Rita Muzzalupo. Novel gel-niosomes formulations as multicomponent systems for transdermal drug delivery, Colloids and surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2013; 110: 281-288.
49. Mukul Ashtikar, Kalpa Nagarsekar, Alfred Fahr. Transdermal delivery from liposomal formulations-evolution of the technology over the last three decades, Journal of controlled release, 2016; 242: 126-140.
50. Emeline Rideau, Rumiana Dimova, Petra Schwille, Frederick R.Wurm, Katharina landfester. Liposomes and polymerosomes: a comparative review towards cell mimicking, Royal society of chemistry, 2018;47:8572-8610.
51. Sameh Hosam Abd El-Alim, Ahmed Alaa kaseem, Mona Basha, Abeer salama Comparative study of liposomes, ethosomes and transferosomes as carriers for enhancing the transdermal delivery of diflunsial: invitro and invivo evaluation, International journal of pharmaceutics, 2019; 563: 293-303.
52. Suna Erdogan, Yekta Ozer A, Hasan Bilgili. Invivo behaviour of vesicular urokinase, International journal of pharmaceutics, 2005;295:1-6.
53. Vishal Sutariya, Parth Patel. Aquasomes: a novel carrier for drug delivery, International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research, 2012;3 (3): 688-694.
54. Mohammad Houshmand, Francesca Garello, Paola Circosta, Rachele Stefania, Silvio Aime, Giuseppe Saglio, Claudia Giachino. Nano carriers as magic bullets in the treatment of leukemia, Nanomaterials, 2020;10(276):1-29.
55. Rathapon Asasutjari, Chittima Managit, Teva Phanaksri, Worapapar Treeesuppharat, Asira fuongfuchat. Formulation development and invivo evaluation of transferin-conjugated liposomes as a carrier of ganciclovir targeting the retina, Journal of pre-proofs, 2020; 577: 119084.
56. Sritoma Banerjee, Kalyan Kumar Sen. Aquasomes; A novel nanoparticulate drug carrier, Journal of drug delivery science and technology, 2018;43:446-452.
57. Sanjay S Jain, Pramod S. Jagtap, Neha MD, Kisan R.Jadhav,Vilasarao J Kadam. Aquasomes: a novel drug carrier, Journal of applied pharmaceutical science, 2012;02(01): 184-192.
58. Ainbinder D, Paolin D, Fresta M, Touitou E. Drug delivery applications with Ethosomes, Journal of biomedical nanotechnology, 2010; 6(5): 558-568.
59. Rudra Pratap Singh, Gangadharappa HV, Mruthunjaya K. Phytosomes complexed with chitosan for gingerol delivery in the treatment of respiratory infection: invitro and invivo evaluation, European journal of pharmaceutical sciences, 2018; 214-229.
60. Ascenso A, Raposo S, Batista C, Cardoso P, Mendes T, Praca F, Bentley, Simoes S. Development, characterization and skin delivery studies of related ultradeformable vesicles: Transfersomes, ethosomes and transethosomes, International journal of nanomedicine, 2015; 10(1):5837-5851.
61. Aman parashar.Literature review on aquasomes-a drug carrier system, Indian journal of medical research and pharmaceutical sciences, 2017; 4 (11): 27-30.
62. Srinivas Lankalapalli, Madhupriya Damuluri, Sphingosomes: Applications in targeted drug delivery, International journal of pharmaceutical, chemical and biological sciences, 2012;2(4):507-516.
63. Fathima KM, Antony Nitheesh, Asha Paul, Sreeja C Nair. Sphingosome vesicular system, International journal of pharmaceutical sciences, 2016;39:208-213.
64. Mahale NB, Thakkar PD, Mali RG, Walunj DR, Chaudhari SR, Niosomes: novel sustained release non-ionic stable vesicular systems-an overview, Advances in colloid and interface science, 2012; 183-184: 46-54.
65. Manivannam Rangaswamy, Balasubramanian Ayyaswamy, Senthil Kumar Raju, Sandeep Gummadevelly, Sanaullah Shaik. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of niosome encapsulated acyclovir, Journal of pharmacy research, 2008; 1(2): 163-166.
66. Maral Mazloumi Tabrizi, Seyed Ahmad Hosseini, Azim Akbarzadeh khiyavi. Composition and structure of protein bodies and spherosomes isolated from ungerminated seeds of sorghum bicolour (Linn.) Moench, Plant Physiol.1975;55(1):1-6.
67. Uhumwangho MU, Okor RS. Current trends in the production and biomedical applications of liposomes: a review, Journal of biomedical sciences, 2005; 4: 9-21.
68. Mirna Sherry, Catherine Charcosset, Hatem Fessi and Helene Greige-Gerges. Essential oils encapsulated in liposomes: A review, Journal of liposome research, 2013; 23 (4): 268-275.
69. Rita Muzzalupo, Lorena Tavano, Roberta Cassano, Sonia trombino, Teresa Ferrarelli, Nevio Picci. A new approach for the evaluation of niosomes as effective transdermal drug delivery systems, European journal of pharmaceutics and bio pharmaceutics, 2011;79(1): 28-35.
70. Priya Hanu, Singh Harmanpreet. Formulation and evaluation of niosomes containing punicalagin from peels of Punica granatum, Journal of drug delivery and therapeutics, 2012; 2(6):56-67.
71. Shymala Bhaskaran, Panigrahi L. Formulation and evaluation of niosomes using different non-ionic surfactants, Indian journal of pharmaceutics, 2002; 64 (1): 63-65.
72. Sepideh Khoee, Morteza Yaghoobian.Niosomes: A novel approach in modern drug delivery systems 2017;207-237.
73. Agarwal R, Katare OP, Vyas SP. Preparation and in vivo evaluation of niosomal delivery systems for antipsoriatic drug dithranol, International journal of pharmaceutics, 2001; 228 (1-2):43-52.
74. Alemayehu Tarekegn, Nisha M joseph, Palani S, Anish Zacharia, Zelalem Ayenew.Niosomes in targeted drug delivery: some recent advances, International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research, 2010; 1(9): 1-8
75. Madhav NVS, Saini. Niosomes: A novel drug delivery system, International journal of research in pharmacy and chemistry, 2011;1(3): 498-511.
76. Xingli Zhou, Ying Hao, Liping Yuan, Sushmita Pradhan, Krista Shrestha, Ojaswi Pradhan, Hongjie Liu, Wei li. Nano-formulations for transdermal drug delivery: a review, Chinese Chemical Letters, 2018; 29(12):1713-1724.
77. Irina Gheorghe, Crina Saviuc, Bianca Ciubuca, Veronica Lazar, Mariana Carmen Chifiriuc. Nanodrug delivery systems for transdermal drug delivery, Nano materials for drug delivery and therapy, 2019; 8: 225-244.
78. Nina Dragicevic, Howard Maibach, Combined use of nanocarriers and physical methods for percutaneous penetration enhancement, Adv Drug Deliv Rev, 2018; 1(127): 58-84.
79. Heather AE Benson. Transfersomes for transdermal drug delivery, Expert opinion drug delivery, 2006; 3(6); 727-737.
80. Bhuwanendra Singh, Rajendra Awasthi, Arshad Ahmad, Asif Saifi. Phytosomes: most significant tool for herbal drug delivery to enhance the therapeutic benefits of phyto constituents, Journal of drug delivery and therapeutics, 2018; 8(1): 98-102.
81. Abdul Azeez N, Sudarshana Deepa V, Sivapriya V. Phytosomes: emergent promising nano vesicular drug delivery system for targeted tumor therapy, Advances in natural sciences: nanoscience and nanotechnology, 2018; 9:1-7.
82. Ajay Semalty, Mona Semalty, Rawat MSM. The phyto-phospholipid complexes-phytosomes: a potential therapeutic approach for herbal hepatoprotective drug delivery, Pharmacognosy review, 2007;1(2): 369-374.
83. Babak Ghanbarzadeh, Afshin Babazadeh, Hamed Hamishehkar. Nano-phytosome as a potential food-grade delivery system, Food bioscience, 2016;15:126-135.
84. Theresa M Allen, Pieter R Cullis. Liposomal drug delivery systems: from concept to clinical applications, Advanced drug delivery systems, 2012;65(1):36-48.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.