GREEN SYNTHESIS OF MAGNETIC IRON NANOPARTICLES USING MEDICINAL PLANT TRIDAX PROCUMBENS LEAF EXTRACTS AND ITS APPLICATION AS AN ANTIMICROBIAL AGENT AGAINST E. COLI
Objective: The present study was aimed at the biological synthesis of magnetic iron nanoparticles by using the plant extract of Tridax procumbens and also to study their antimicrobial property against gram-negative bacteria (Escherichia coli).
Methods: The synthesis of magnetic iron nanoparticles was carried out by the co-precipitation method using biological methods like plant extract as reducing agent and capping agents are biocompatible and non-hazardous. These nanoparticles were characterized by UV-Visible spectroscopy, XRD (X-Ray Diffraction), and SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope). As well as antibacterial activity of the nanoparticles was carried out by agar well diffusion method and Most Probable Number (MPN) method against gram-negative E. coli (Escherichia coli) bacteria.
Results: The average crystallite size of Magnetic Nanoparticles (MNPs) was found to be 72 nm by X-ray diffraction. The optical absorption band at wavelengths of 240 nm and 402 nm was obtained from the UV Visible spectrum. Spherical shape morphology was observed in SEM studies. The antibacterial assay clearly expressed that E. coli showed a maximum zone of inhibition (15±0.15 mm) at 2 mg/ml and 1 mg/ml concentration was found for Magnetic Nanoparticles. In the Most Probable Number (MPN) test it is seen that the bacterial count is reduced after adding synthesized NPs into the water sample.
Conclusion: The results of the present study conclude that the Magnetic Nanoparticles synthesized using Tridax procumbens leaf extracts is found to be stable and show good antibacterial activity against gram-negative (Escherichia coli) bacteria.
2. Weile Yan A, Andrew A Herzing, Christopher J Kiely, Wei Xian Zhang. Nanoscale zero-valent iron (nZVI): aspects of the core-shell structure and reactions with inorganic species in water. J Contaminant Hydrology 2010;118:96–104.
3. Wan Zuhairi Wan Yaacob, Noraznida Kamaruzaman, Abdul Rahim Samsudin. Development of nano-zero valent iron for the remediation of contaminated water. Chemiical Engiineeriing Transactiions 2012:25-30. DOI:10.3303/CET1228005
4. Kuen Song Lin, Ni-Bin Chang, Tien Deng Chuang. Fine structure characterization of zero-valent iron nanoparticles for decontamination of nitrites and nitrates in wastewater and groundwater. Sci Technol Adv Mater 2008:025015. DOI:10.1088/1468-6996/9/2/025015
5. Sadia Saif, Arifa Tahir, Yongsheng Chen. Green synthesis of iron nanoparticles and their environmental applications and implications. Nanomaterials 2016:209. https://doi.org/10.3390/nano6110209
6. A P Tiwari, SJ Ghosh, SH Pawar. Biomedical applications based on magnetic nanoparticles: DNA interactions, Analytical Methods; 2015. p. 10109-20.
7. P Tiwari, SJ Ghosh, SH Pawar. Synthesis and characterization of functionalized superparamagnetic nanoparticles for isolation of DNA. Int J Pharma Bio Sci 2014;5:533–42.
8. C. Ikewuch Jude, C Ikewuchi Catherine, Ighoh Ngozi. Chemical profile of tridax procumbens linn. Pakistan Jl of nutrition 2009;8:548-50.
9. Sneha Shah, Sumita Dasgupta, Mousumi Chakraborty, Raji Vadakkekara, Murtaza Hajoori. Green synthesis of iron nanoparticles using plant extracts. Int J Biol Pharm Res 2014;6:549-52.
10. YY Patil, PD Raut. Studies on status of open wells in Kolhapur city. J Adv Sci Technol 2010;13:1-6.
11. Chitra Pai, Ujjwala Kulkarni, Manjusha Borde, Sowmya Murali, P Mrudula, Yashwant Deshmukh. Antibacterial activity of Tridax procumbens with special reference to nosocomial pathogens. Br J Pharm Res 2011;1:164-73.
12. APHA: Standard Methods for the examination of water and wastewater. 20th edition: Published by 1015 Fifteenth Street, NW; 1998.
13. Md Shariful Islama, Yoshihumi Kusumotoa, Md Abdulla-Al-Mamuna, Hirotaka Manakab, Yuji Horieb. Synthesis, characterization and application of dumbbell-shaped magnetic (Fe3O4 and-Fe2O3) nanoparticles against HeLa (Cancer) cells. Curr Nanosci 2012;8:811-8.
14. Mahnaz Mahdavi, Farideh Namvar, Mansor Bin Ahmad, Rosfarizan Mohamad. Green biosynthesis and characterization of magnetic iron oxide (Fe3O4) nanoparticles using seaweed (Sargassummuticum) aqueous extract, molecules; 2013.
15. R Haul, T Schoon. Zur Struktur des ferromagnetischen Eisen(Ill)-Oxyds y-Fe2O3. Z Phys Chem 1939;44:216.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.