COMPARATIVE ANTIOXIDANT PROPERTIES OF METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF RED AND WHITE DRAGON FRUITS
Objective: Dragon fruits, comes in two varieties; Hylocereus undatus (white dragon fruit) and Hylocereus polyrhizus (red dragon fruit). This fruit is also called as pitahaya and can be found naturally in Malaysia, Vietnam, Central America, Colombia and Nicaragua.
Methods: In the present study we carry out the comparative antioxidant activity of methanolic extract of both dragon fruits by using DPPH method.
Results: The results showed that the methanolic extract of red dragon fruits showed better antioxidant activity than the methanolic extract of white dragon fruits.
Conclusion: In conclusion, the red dragon fruit is a good candidate for further investigation.Keywords: Hylocereus undatus, Hylocereous polyrhizus, Pitaya, Dragonfruit, Antioxidant
2. Lobo V, Patil A, Chandra N. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional foods: impact on human health. Pharmacogn Rev 2010;4:118-26.
3. Nurliyana R, Syed Zahir I, Mustapha Suleiman K, Aisyah MR, Kamarul Rahim K. Antioxidant study of pulps and peels of dragon fruits: a comparative study. Int Food Res J 2010;17:367-75.
4. Mohd adzim Khalili R, Che Abdullah AB, Abdul Manaf A. Total antioxidant activity, total phenolic content and radical scavenging activity both flesh and peel of red pitaya, white pitaya and papaya. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2011;4:113-22.
5. Harborne JB. Phytochemical methods. Chapman and Hall, New York; 1984. p. 123â€“75.
6. Kokate CK. Practical Pharmacognosy, New Delhi: Vallabh Prakashan; 1997. p. 107-11.