ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITES OF COW DUNG EXTRACTS AGAINST HUMAN PATHOGENS
Objective: For control of microbial infections and diseases, various synthetic drugs and chemical formulations are currently in use. But due to the problem of microbial drug resistance, new alternative synthetic drugs have been explored. Similarly, antimicrobial activities of so many natural products have also been explored.
Methods: In this various study extracts of cow dung possessed antimicrobial property against human pathogens like Klebsiella pneumonia and Escherichia coli.
Results: The Indian cow dung extracted possessed superior antimicrobial activity than other cow dung types and showed antimicrobial property against all the test microorganisms. Since cow dung and buffalo dung are abundant in nature, which make the process cost effective with processing ease and thus are a promising solution for a variety of health problems in the near future.Conclusion: The medicinal properties of these cow dung and buffalo dung can be exploited to formulate drugs for several diseases caused by antibiotic resistant pathogenic microorganisms.
2. Jonker JS, Kohn RA. Using milk urea nitrogen to evaluate diet formulation and environmental impact on dairy farms. Sci World J 2001;1:852-9.
3. Dhamaâ€‰K,â€‰Rathoreâ€‰Rajesh,â€‰Chauhanâ€‰RS,â€‰Tomarâ€‰Simmi. Panchgavya (Cowpathy): an overview. Int J Cow Sci 2005;1:20-2.
4. Chauhan RS, Lokesh Singhal. Harmful effects of pesticides and their control through Cowpathy. Int J Cow Sci 2006;2:61-70.
5. Bharti Sharma, Maneesha Singh. Isolation and characterization of bacteria from cow dung of desi cow breed on different morpho-biochemical parameters in Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. Int J Adv Pharm Biol Chem 2015;4:276-81.
6. Garg SK, Anita Bhatnagar. Effect of different doses of organic fertilizer (cow dung) on pond productivity and fish biomass in still water ponds. J Appl Ichthyol 1999;15:10-8.
7. Singhâ€‰Chandra Shekhar,â€‰AK Sinhaâ€‰,â€‰Singhâ€‰Balraj,â€‰ MP Sinha. Effect of cow urine distillate (CUD) on fertility, hatchability and quality of desi poultry eggs. Int J Cow Sci 2007;3:11-3.
8. Muthukumaravel K, A Amsath, M Sukumaran. Vermicomposting of vegetable wastes using cow dung. E J Chem 2008;5:810-3.
9. Ravi Kant Upadhyay, Pratibha Dwivedi, Shoeb Ahmad. Antimicrobial activity of photo-activated cow urine against certain pathogenic bacterial strains. Afr J Biotechnol 2010;9:518-22.
10. Nargis Akhter, Most Ferdousi Begum, Shahidul Alam, Md Shah Alam. Inhibitory effect of different plant extracts, cow dung and cow urine on conidial germination of Bipolaris sorokiniana. J Bio-Sci 2006;14:87-92.
11. Arunkumar Sathasivam, M Muthuselvam, Rajasekran Rajendran. Antimicrobial activities of cow urine distillate against some clinical pathogens. Global J Pharmacol 2010;4:41-4.
12. WB Sounders. London, Evans. WC Tease. Evans Pharmacognosy. 15th Edition; 2000. p. 3-4, 488-491.
13. Harborne JB. Phytochemical methods; a guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. 2nd Edition. London New York; 1973.
14. Swati H Patel, Jigar V Suthar, Rajesh K Patel, Urvi S Zankharia, Vishakha R Jani, Kanagee N Gajjar. Antimicrobial activity investigation of Aegle marmelos, Couroupita guianesis, Manilkara hexandra, Cow Urine and Dung. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2015;6:1014-22.
15. K Rajapandiyan, S Shanthi, AM Murugan, G Alagu Muthu, AJA Ranjit Singh. Azadirachta indica-cow urine extract, a novel controlling agent towards clinically significant multi-drug resistant pathogens. J Appl Pharm Sci 2011;1:107-13.
16. M Waziri, JS Suleiman. Analysis of some elements and antimicrobial activity of evaporated extract of cow dung against some pathogens. J Sci Res 2013;5:135-41.