DEVELOPMENT OF EXTRACTIVE SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR THE DETERMINATION OF IRON (III) WITH SCHIFF BASE 2-[(2-HYDROXYPHENYLIMINO) METHYL]-4-NITROPHENOL
Objective: A simple spectrophotometric method has been developed for the determination of Iron (III) by using Schiff base 2-[(2-hydroxyphenylimino) methyl]-4-nitrophenol [HPIMNP].
Methods: HPIMNP extracts Fe (III) quantitatively (99.95%) into chloroform from an aqueous solution of pH range 4.0-6.0.
Results: The chloroform extracts show maximum absorption at 510 nm (Î» max). Beerâ€™s Law is obeyed over the Fe (III) concentration range of 0.5 to 20.0 Âµg/ml. The Molar absorptivity and Sandellâ€™s sensitivity for Feâ€“HPIMNP system is 5000 L mol Ë‰1 cmË‰1 and 0.011 Âµg cmË‰2respectively. The composition of extracted species is found to be 1: 3 [Fe-HPIMNP] by Jobâ€™s continuous variation and Mole-ratio method. Interference by various ions has been studied.
Conclusion: The proposed method is rapid, sensitive, reproducible and accurate and it has been satisfactory applied for the determination of Iron in Pharmaceutical Samples.
2. Nath R, Nautiyal SC, Singh H. Determination of metal ions with organic reagent part1-studies on some nitro substituted ortho hydroxy ketoximes. Labdev J Sci Technol Part A: Phys Sci 1974;12A(2):53-8.
3. Scott WW. â€œStandard methods of chemical Analysisâ€. Von nostrand company, Inc; 1939. p. 182.
4. Fasina TM, Ejiah FN, Dueke-Eze CU, Idika N. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of Schiff bases derived from substituted salicylaldehyde with 2-aminophenol and 2-aminothiophenol. J Sci Res Dev 2013;14:95-8.
5. Vogel AI. â€œPractical organic chemistry.â€ 5th Ed. London: Longman group limited; 1989.
6. Vogel AI. â€œTextbook of Quantitative inorganic analysisâ€. 4th Ed. London: Longman group limited; 1978.