DEVELOPMENT OF BILAYER TABLETS FOR IMMEDIATE AND CONTROLLED RELEASE OF ALLICIN
Objective: The purpose of this study was to develop and evaluate bilayer tablet for the immediate and controlled release of Allicin (Garlic Extract) for effective treatment of Hypertension.
Methods: The immediate release layer was prepared by using super disintegrants-sodium starch glycolate and binder used xantham gum and the sustained release layer was prepared by using hydrophilic polymer like HPMC K 100 and PVP. Before preparation of the tablets, all the pre-formulation parameters were checked and the tablet of Allicin were prepared by direct compression method and was evaluated for physical characteristics like hardness, weight variation, drug content and friability. In vitro release of drug was performed USP type II dissolution test apparatus using phosphate buffer (pH 7.4) as dissolution media and dissolution was continued for 8 hrs for the sustained release layer.
Results: It was found that all the formulations were within the limit of the standard. The drug release of the tablet was in the range of 66%-83% in 8 h.Conclusion: It was concluded that the F4 formulation showed the optimum result as a bilayer tablet for the effective treatment of hypertension.
2. Motarwar SS, Jadhav SB, Kadam VS, Muttepawar SS, Bharkad VB, Zamiruddin M. Review on-bilayer tablet. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;3:2693-709.
3. Barthwal P, Ganarajan P, Kothiyal P. Review on bilayer tablet. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2013;2:1788-97.
4. Neeraj B, Kumar A, Choudhary A, Choudhary R, Bala R. A review on immediate release drug delivery system. Int Res J Pharm Appl Sci 2014;4:78-87.
5. Bhowmik D, Gopinath H, Kumar BP, Duraivel S, Kumar KPS. Controlled release drug delivery systems. Pharma Innovation 2012;1:24-32.
6. Patel M, Ganesh, Nanjan S. Challenges in the formulation of bilayer tablets; a review. Int J Pharma Res Dev 2010;4:974â€“9446.
7. Panchal HA, Tiwari AKA. Novel approach of bi-layer tablet technology a review. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:44-9.
8. Deshpande RD, Gowd DV, Nawaz M, Maramwar DN. Bi-layer tablets an emerging trend a review. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:2534-44.
9. Singh KP, Kumar S, Bilayer and floating bioadhesive tablets: innovative approach to gastroretention. J Drug Delivery Ther 2011;1:32-5.
10. Gopinath C, Hima Bindu V, Nischala M. An overview on bilayer tablet technology. J Global Trends Pharm Sci 2013;4:1077-85.
11. Madhura TK. Miracle of allicin, a case report. Int J Sci Res 2015;5:1-3.
12. Katare C, Shrivastava Y, Saxena S. Neutraceutical potential of organosulfur compounds in fresh garlic and garlic preparations. Int J Pharma Bio Sci 2014;5:112-26.
13. Rashmin N, Praful D. Formulation and evaluation of dual component tablets of metoprolol tartrate. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2012;1:514-22.