FORMULATION EVALUATION AND OPTIMIZATION OF IMMEDIATE RELEASE TABLET OF ACECLOFENAC BY DIRECT COMPRESSION METHOD
Objective: The objective of present work is to formulate and evaluate immediate release tablets of aceclofenac. Aceclofenac is effectively acting as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) of the phenylacetic acid group, which has properties such as anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic when given orally.
Methods: First Pre-formulation studies were carried out such as FTIR, solubility, bulk and tapped density, hounars ratio, Carr's index, the angle of repose etc. Then the tablets were prepared by direct compression using super disintegrating agents (sodium starch glycolate). To obtain the desired optimum formulation several formulations had been performed with different excipients and their ration. For each formulation, post formulation parameters are determined including hardness, weight variation, friability, disintegration and in vitro dissolution, wetting time, water absorption ratio etc.
Results: From the test performed it is found that the formulation F8 is best and satisfies all the criteria as immediate release tablet.
Conclusion: From the result, it can be concluded that using Sodium Starch Glycolate at 4% will give the best in vitro drug release.
2. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of albendazole. Int Curr Pharm J 2012;1:311-6.
3. RaoNGR, Kumar M, Reddy MS, Kistayya C, Reddy BM. Development and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of fosinopril by a sublimation method. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2012;4:230-5.
4. Pimple S, Joshi A, Maurya P, Swami A, Digge M, Singh R. Formulation development and optimisation of olmesartan medoxomil immediate release tablets. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2015;7:395-400.
5. Sonje A, Yadav A, Chandra A, Jain DA. Formulation and evaluation of immediate release tablet of antihypertensive drugs according to bcs system. Int J Thera Appl 2012;7:18-24.
6. Sharma A, Jain A, Purohit A, Jatav R, Sheorey RV. Formulation and evaluation of aceclofenac fast dissolving tablets. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2011;2:681-6.
7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3217689/. [Last accessed on 20 Feb 2017]
8. Yadav IK, Singh HP, Singh RP, Tiwari PK, Chandra D, Jaiswal D, et al. Formulation, evaluation and optimisation of aceclofenac sustained release matrix tablets. Int J PharmTech Res 2010; 1:592-8.
9. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aceclofenac. [Last accessed on 20 Feb 2017]
10. Patel KS, Junagade MS. Formulation and evaluation of immediate release tablet of mefenamic acid and dicyclomine hydrochloride by direct compression method. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2016;6:738-49.