A REVIEW ON FORMULATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF HERBOSOME COMPLEX
The major amount of active constituents comprises in herbal drugs with excellent bioactivity in vitro but less in vivo because of their poor lipid solubility and improper size of the molecules. This results in poor absorption and bioavailability of active constituents from the herbal extract. Herbosome technology enhances the bioavailability of herbal extracts. Herbosome act as the bridge between the novel delivery system and conventional delivery system. It is a complex of natural active ingredients and phospholipids (phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylserine etc.) which increases absorption of herbal extract. Herbosome is the novel emerging technique applied to phytopharmaceuticals for the enhancement of bioavailability of herbal extract for medicinal applications. This article overviews about herbosome technology, recent advance, their application for various standardized herbal extracts and aims to provide complete scientific information, characterization about herbosomes as a promising drug delivery system.
2. Kumari P, Singh N, Cheriyan P, Neelam. Phytosome: a noval approach for phytomedicine. Int J Institutional Pharm Life Sci 2011;1:89-100.
3. Kumar VS. Herbosome, novel carrier for herbal drug delivery. Curr Pharm Res 2007;3:24-27.
4. Patel J, Patel R, Khambholja K. An overview of phytosomes as an advanced herbal drug delivery system. Asian J Pharm Sci 2009;4:363-71.
5. Khan A, Alexander J, Ajazuddin A. Recent advances and future prospects of phytophospholipidcomplexation technique for improving the pharmacokinetic profile of plant actives. Int J Health Res 2013;168:50-60.
6. Bhattacharya S. Phytosomes: the new technology for enhancement of bioavailability of botanicals and nutraceuticals. Int J Health Res 2009;2:225-32.
7. Rudra PS, Ramakant N. Preparation and evaluation of phytosome of lawsone. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;12:5217-26.
8. Prachi U, Omprakash B. Phyto-phospholipid complex vesicles for phytoconstituents and herbal extracts: a promising drug delivery system. Int J Herbal Med 2016;4:14-20.
9. U Citernesi, M Sciacchitano. Phospholipids active ingredient complexes. Cosm Toil 1995;110:57-68.
10. Ravi GS, Chandur V, Shabaraya ARK. Phytosomes: an advanced herbal drug delivery system. IJPRBS 2015;4:415-32.
11. Bombardelli E, Mustich G. Bilobalide phospholipid complex, their uses and formulation containing them, U. S. Patent; 1991.
12. Kidd PM. Phosphatidylcholine: a superior protectant against liver disease. Alternative Med Rev 1996;1:258-74.
13. Valenzuela A, Aspillaga M, Guerra R. Selectivity of silamarin on the increase of glutathione containing in different tissues of Rat. Plant Med 1989;55:42.
14. Maiti K, Kakali M, Arunava G, Bishnu PS, Pulok KM. Curcumine phospholipid complex: Preparation,therapeutic evaluation and pharmacokinetic study in rats. Int J Pharm 2007;330:155-63.
15. Singh RP, Parpani S, Narke R, Chavan R. Phytosome: recent advance research for novel drug delivery system. Asian J Pharm Res Dev 2014;2:15-29.
16. Tedesco D, Steidler S, Galletti S, Tameni M, Sonzogni O, Ravarotto L. Efficacy of silymarin-phospholipid complex in reducing the toxicity of aflatoxin B1 in broiler chicks. Poult Sci 2004;83:1839-43.
17. Hikino H, Kiso Y, Wagner H, Fiebig M. Antihepatotoxic actions of flavonolignans from silybummarianum fruits. Planta Med 1984;50:248-50.
18. Acharya NS, Parihar GV, Acharya SR. Phytosomes: a novel approach for delivering herbal extract with improved bioavailability. Int J Pharm Sci 2011;2:144-60.
19. Pallav Kaushik Deshpande, Anupam Kumar Pathak, Ragini Gothalwal. Phytosomes: a noval drug delivery system for phytoconstituents. J New Biol Reports 2014;3:212-20.
20. Nayyer Karimi, Babak Ghanbarzadeh, Hamed Hamishehkar, Akram Pezeshki, Hadi Mostafayi, Mohammad Mahdi Gholian. Phytosome as novel delivery system for nutraceutical materials. Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci 2015;4:152-9.
21. Sandeep Arora. Preparation and characterization of phytosomal-phospholipid complex of P. amarus and its tablet formulation. J Pharm Technol Res Management 2013;1:1-18.
22. Bhupen Kalita, Malay K Das. Resveratrol-phospholipid complexes (phytosomes) with improved physicochemical properties favorable for drug delivery via the skin. World J Pharm Res 2015;4:1497-517.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.