PRELIMINARY PHYTOCHEMICAL, ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTIMICROBIAL STUDIES OF FLACOURTIA JANGOMAS FRUITS
Objective: To determine phytochemical, antimicrobial and in vitro antioxidant activity of Flacourtia jangomas (Family: Flacourtiaceae)
Methods: The fruit extracts of the plant was taken for the phytochemical screening to identify the phytochemicals present in it. The extracts of the fruits were evaluated for antimicrobial activity against S. aureus and Escherichia coli by disc diffusion method. In vitro, antioxidant activity was performed by reducing power method, TBA method.
Results: The n-butanol extracts showed significant antimicrobial activity against all the strains as compared to the standard drug. The extracts also showed antioxidant activity against the standard ascorbic acid.
Conclusion: The extracts showed a high amount of antimicrobial activity and antioxidant activity.
2. Ahmed J, Wizarat K, Shamsuddin KM, Zaman A, Connolly JD. Jangomolide, a novel limonoid from Flacourtia jangomas. Phytochemistry 1984;6:1269-70.
3. KS Krishnan Marg. Flacourtia comm. (Flacourtiaceae). In the Wealth of India: Raw Materials, CSIR, New Delhi; 1956;4:42-4.
4. Quiner Y, Zmarzty S. Flora of China. Available from; http://www.EFloras.org.St.Louis, MO and Harvard University Herbaria, Cambridge, MA: Missouri Botanical Garden Press; 2007. p. 118-21.
5. Talukdar C, Saha S, Adhikari S, Mondal HK, Islam MDK, Anisuzzman MD. Evaluation of antioxidant, analgesic, and antidiarrhoeal activity of Flacourtia jangomas (Lour.) raeusch leaves. Pharmacologyonline 2012;3:20-8.
6. Trease GE, Evans MC. Textbook of pharmacognosy. 12th ed. London: Bailier Tindall; 2002. p. 343-82.
7. Harborne JB. Phytochemical methods. A guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. India: Springer; 1998. p. 49-120.
8. Maisarah AM, Nurul Amira B, Asmah R, Fauziah O. Antioxidant analysis of different parts of Carica papaya. Int Food Res J 2013;20:1043-8.
9. Kikuzaki H, Nakatani N. Antioxidant effects of some ginger constituents. J Food Sci 1993;58:1407-10.
10. Bors W, Michel C. Antioxidant capacity of flavanols and gallate esters: pulse radiolysis studies. Free Radical Biol Med 1999;27:1413-26.