PRELIMINARY PHYTOCHEMICAL SCREENING AND IN VITRO ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY OF THE LEAF EXTRACT OF THUNBERGIA COCCINEA (FAMILY-ACANTHACEAE)
Objective: To estimate the antimicrobial activity of the leaf extract of Thunbergia coccinea in association with phytochemical analysis.
Methods: The extraction of the leaves of Thunbergia coccinea was done by using a various solvent like petroleum ether, chloroform and methanol. The phytochemical constitutes are investigated by using standard methods. Antimicrobial activity of leave extract was carried out against gram positive bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus) and one gram negative bacteria (Escherichia coli). The anti-fungal activity of the plant extract was evaluated on Candida albicans. The testing was done by using disc diffusion method. The zone of inhibition was compared with standard Amikacin for anti-bacterial activity and fluconazole for anti-fungal activity.
Results: The present investigation shows the phytochemical analysis which revealed the presence of alkaloid, flavonoid, cardiac glycoside, saponin glycoside, tannin and phenolics. The antimicrobial activity of plant extract is showed significant result against all three of the test organism.
Conclusion: The present study concluded that the leaf extract of Thunbergia coccinea contain various phytochemicals and possess promising antimicrobial activity when compared with the standards.
2. Awaad, Amani S, Soliman GA, El-Sayed, Dalia F, El-Gindi, et al. Hepatoprotective activity of Cyperus alternifolius on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Pharm Biol 2012;50:155–61.
3. Medina AL, Lucero ME, Holguin FO. Composition and antimicrobial activity of anemopsis californica leaf oil. J Agric Food Chem 2005;53:8694-8.
4. Romero CD, Chopin SF, Buck G, Martinez E, Garcia M, Bixby L. Antibacterial properties of common herbal remedies of the southwest. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;99:253-7.
5. Duraipandiyan V, Ayyanar M, Ignacimuthu S. Antimicrobial activity of some ethnomedicional plants used by paliyar tribe from Tamil Nadu, India. BMC Complement Altern Med 2006;6:50-4.
6. Djeussi DE, Noumedem JA, Seukep JA. Antibacterial activities of selected edible plant extracts against multidrug resistant gram negative bacteria. BMC Complement Altern Med 2013;13:130-4.
7. Sultana KW, Chatterjee S, Roy A, Chandra I. An overview on ethnopharmacological and phytochemical properties of Thunbergia species. Med Aromat Plants 2015;4:1-6.
8. Tiwari P, Kumar B, Kaur M, Kaur G, Kaur H. Phytochemical screening and extraction: a review. Int Pharm Sci 2011;1:98-106.
9. Ibironke AA, Sarah ON, Adewale A. Anti-microbial activity and phytochemical screening of five selected seeds from Nigeria. Int J Biomed Pharm Sci 2010;4:104-6.
10. Chetan PS, Murugananthan G, Komaleeswari K. Evaluation of anti-microbial activity of methanolic extract fractions of Delonix elata bark. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2012;3:425-7.
11. Gayathri G, Saraswathy A, Vijayalakshmi K. Anti-microbial activity of medicinal plant Bauhinia variegata linn. Int J Pharma Bio Sci 2011;1:400-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.