CARICA PAPAYA MEDIATED GREEN SYNTHESIZED SILVER NANOPARTICLES
Objective: The present study was designed to biosynthesize NPs from leaves to study the reducing Ag+ions and stabilizing the particles and confirm AgNP synthesis by using various spectroscopy and microscopic methods.
Methods: Bio-inspired AgNPs were rapidly synthesized at room temperature using fresh aqueous leaf extract of Carica papaya. A green and low-cost synthesis was effective in the formation of stable crystalline NPs in the solution. Amine, alkene and alkyl halides groups present in the Carica papaya leaf extract functioned as reducing as well as a stabilizing agent to produce shape controlled AgNPs.
Results: SPR confirmed the formation of AgNPs in UV-Visible spectra at 445.7 nm. The XRD result also showed the presence of elemental Ag+as a crystalline nature. Study the functional groups responsible for the bio reduction of Ag+. HE-TEM and FE-SEM with EDX image showed spherical crystalline AgNPs.
Conclusion: Hence, the plant-based bio AgNPs could be used in biomedical applications.
2. Meng H, Liong M, Xia T, Li Z, Ji Z. Engineered design of mesoporous silica NPs to deliver doxorubicin and P-glycoprotein siRNA to overcome drug resistance in a cancer cell line. ACS Nano 2010;4:4539-50.
3. Godin B, Sakamoto JH, Serda RE, Grattoni A, Bouamrani A, Ferrari M. Emerging applications of nanomedicine for the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular diseases. Trends Pharmacol Sci 2010;31:199-205.
4. Tian J, Wong KK, Ho CM, Lok CN, Yu WY, Che CM. Topical delivery of silver NPs promotes wound healing. Chem Med Chem 2007;2:129-36.
5. Rangari VK, Mohammad GM, Jeelani S, Hundley A, Vig K, Singh SR. Synthesis of Ag/CNT hybrid NPs and fabrication of their nylon-6 polymer nanocomposite fibers for antimicrobial applications. Nanotechnology 2010;21:95-102.
6. Yu DG. Formation of colloidal silver NPs stabilized by Na+â€“poly(Î³-glutamic acid)â€“silver nitrate complex via chemical reduction process. Colloids Surf B 2007;59:171-8.
7. Tan Y, Wang Y, Jiang L. Thiosalicylic acid-functionalized silver NPs synthesized in the one-phase system. J Colloid Interface Sci 2002;249:336-45.
8. Petit C, Lixon P, Pileni MP. In situ synthesis of silver nanocluster in AOT reverse micelles. Phys Chem 1993;97:12974-83.
9. Vorobyova SA, Lesnikovich AI, Sobal NS. Preparation of silver NPs by interphase reduction. Colloids Surf A 1999;152:375-9.
10. Saha S, Sarkar J, Chattopadhyay D, Patra S, Chakraborty A, Acharya K. Production of silver NPs by a phytopathogenic fungus Bipolaris nodulosa and its antimicrobial activity. Digest J Nanomaterials Biostructures 2010;5:887-95.
11. Sandmann G, Dietz H, Plieth W. Preparation of silver NPs on ITO surfaces by a double-pulse method. J Electroanal Chem 2000;491:78-86.
12. Mallick K, Witcombb MJ, Scurrella MS. Self-assembly of silver NPs in a polymer solvent: formation of a nanochain through nanoscale soldering. Mater Chem Phys 2005;90:221-4.
13. Bae CH, Nam SH, Park SM. Formation of silver NPs by laser ablation of a silver target in NaCl solution. Appl Surf Sci 2002;197:628-34.
14. Smetana AB, Klabunde KJ, Sorensen CM. Synthesis of spherical NPs. J Colloid Interface Sci 2005;284:521-6.
15. Saxena A, Tripathi RM, Singh RP. Biological synthesis of silver NPs by using onion (Allium cepa) extract and their antibacterial activity. Digest J Nanomaterials Biostructures 2010;5:427-32.
16. Priyadarshini S, Gopinath V, Meera Priyadarshini N, Mubarak Ali D, Velusamy P. Bio-inspired green NPs: synthesis, mechanism, and antibacterial application. Colloids Surf B 2013;102:232-7.
17. Fayaz AM, Girilal M, Rahman M, Venkatesan R, Kalaichelvan PT. Biogenic synthesis of silver NPs and their synergistic effect with antibiotics: a study against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Process Biochem 2011;46:1958-62.
18. Laldhas KP, Cheriyan VT, Puliappadamba VT, Bava SV, Unnithan RG, Vijayammal PL, et al. Green synthesis of silver NPs using herbal plants. J Cell Mol Med 2010;14:636-46.
19. Song JY, Kim BS, Rapid biological synthesis of silver NPs using plant leaf extracts. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 2008;32:79-84.
20. Murphy CJ. Sustainability as an emerging design criterion in nanoparticle synthesis and applications. J Mater Chem 2008;18:2173-6.
21. Mubarak Ali D, Thajuddin N, Jeganathan K, Gunasekaran M. Plant-mediated synthesis of silver and gold NPs and its antibacterial activity against the clinically isolated pathogen. Colloids Surf B 2011;85:360-5.
22. Kumar V, Yadav SK. Plant-mediated synthesis of silver and gold NPs and their applications. J Chem Technol Biotechnol 2009;84:151-7.
23. Akhila S, Vijayalakshmi NG. Phytochemical studies on Carica papaya leaf juice. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;6:880-3.
24. Aravind G, Debjit B, Duraivel S, Harish G. Traditional and medicinal uses of Carica papaya. J Med Plants Studies 2013;1:7-15.
25. Jaime AT, Zinia R, Duong TN, Dharini S, Abed G, Manoel TS, et al. Papaya: biology and biotechnology. Tree Forestry Sci Biotechnol 2007;1:47-73.
26. Natarajan S, Vidhya RM. Potential medicinal properties of Carica papaya Linn-a mini review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:1-4.
27. Parle M, Guruditta. Basketful benefits of papaya. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:6-12.
28. Harborne JB. In: â€œPhytochemical Methodsâ€. Ed. 1st Edn. Chapman and Hall Ltd., London; 1973. p. 49-188.
29. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65:55-63.
30. Rajesh S, Sivakumari K, Ashok K, Abitha AR. Anticancer activity of Cardiospermum helicacacabum leaf extracts against hepatocellular carcinoma cell line (HepG-2). World J Pharm Sci 2016;5:1133-54.
31. Saad A, Siddiqui MMH, Aleem S, Jafri SAH. Effect of namak chirchita (Achyranthes aspera Linn.) in zeeq-un-nafs shoâ€™bi (Bronchial Asthma). Hamdard Medicus 2002;45:37-40.
32. Shah GB, Parmar NS. Antiasthmatic property of polyherbal preparation E-721. Phytother Res 2003;17:1092â€“7.
33. Goyal BR, Mahajan SG. The beneficial effect of Achyranthes apsera L. in Toluene-di-isocyanate induced occupational asthma in rats. Global J Pharmacol 2007;1:6-12.
34. Aswal BS, Goel AK, Kulshrestha DK, Mehrotra BN, Patnaik GK. Screening of Indian plants for biological activity. Ind J Exp Biol 1996;34:444-67.
35. Saha S, Sarkar J, Chattopadhyay D, Patra S, Chakraborty A, Acharya K. Production of silver nanoparticles by a phytopathogenic fungus Bipolaris nodulosa and its antimicrobial activity. Digest J Nanomaterials Biostructures 2010;5:887-95.
36. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65:55-63.
37. Manikandan R, Beulaja M, Arulvasu C, Sellamuthu S, Dinesh D, Prabhu D, et al. the Synergistic anticancer activity of Curcumin and Catechin: an in vitro study using human cancer cell lines. Microsc Res Tech 2012;75:112-6.
38. Rajesh S, Sivakumari K, Ashok K, Abitha AR. Anticancer activity of Cardiospermum helicacacabum leaf extracts against hepatocellular carcinoma cell line (HepG-2). World J Pharm Sci 2016;5:1133-54.
39. Asha Kanimozhi S, Johnson M, Renisheya Joy Jeba Malar T. Phytochemical composition of Sargassum polycystum C. agardh and Sargassum duplicatum J. agardh. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;7:393-7.
40. Rajeshkumar S, Malarkodi C, Vanaja M, Paulkumar K. Green-chemical fabrication of silver nanoparticles by marine macroalgae and its fungicidal activity. Int Res J Pharm Biosci 2014;1:1-7.
41. Suriya J, Bharathi Raja S, Sekar V, Rajasekaran R. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles and its antibacterial activity using seaweed Urospora sp. Afr J Biotechnol 2012;11:12192-8.
42. Huang J, Li Q, Sun D, Lu Y, Su Y, Yang X, et al. Biosynthesis of silver and gold NPs by novel sundried Cinnanonum camphora leaf. Nanotechnology 2007;18:105104-14.
43. Ankamwar B, Damle C, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Biosynthesis of Au and AgNPs using Emblica officinalis fruit extract, their phase transfer and transmetallation in an organic solution. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 2005;5:1665-7.