RADIOPROTECTION OF ALOE VERA AGAINST BIOCHEMICAL ALTERATIONS IN SWISS ALBINO MICE
Objective: In this study, radioprotection against radiation-induced hepatic damage in Swiss Albino Mice has been observed by Aloe vera. When individuals are exposed, the radiation energy is absorbed by the biological systems, which causes radiolysis of tissue water and generates free radicals.
Methods: Animals were given Aloe vera leaf extract orally 1000 mg/kg body weight/day for 15 consecutive days before radiation exposure 0.5, 3 and 5.5 Gy gamma radiation. Mice were autopsied at day Â¼, 1, 3, 5,10 and 20 after irradiation to evaluate the radio modulator effect in terms of LPO and GSH.
Results: Radiation treatment showed a decrease in GSH content and an increase of LPO in control set animals, however, the animals of experimental group i.e. Aloe vera and radiation combined group showed a significant increase in GSH content and decrease in LPO but values remained below normal.
Conclusion: The result of present study suggests that Aloe vera has a radioprotective effect due to their antioxidant and radical scavenging activity.
2. Kumar M, Samarth RM, Kumar K, Kumar M. Protective effect of Adhatoda vasica Nees against radiation-induced damage at the cellular, biochemical and chromosomal levels in Swiss albino mice. J Exp Biol 2007;4:343.
3. Saito M, Tanaka M, Misawa E, Nabeshima K, Yamauchi K, Abe F, et al. Oral administration of Aloe vera gel powder prevents UVB-induced decrease in skin elasticity via suppression of overexpression of MMPs in hairless mice. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 2016;80:7.
4. Chandan BK, Saxena AK, Shukla S, Sharma N, Gupta DK, Suri KA. Hepatoprotective potential of Aloe barbadensis mill. against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;1113:560.
5. Gupta R, Flora SJ. Protective value of Aloe vera against some toxic effects of arsenic in rats. Phytother Res 2005;19:23.
6. Wu J. Anti-inflammatory ingredients. J Drugs Dermatol 2008;77 Suppl:s13-6.
7. Gajendra M, Sharique A Ali. Recent update on the medicinal properties and use of Aloe vera in the treatment of various ailments. Biosci Biotech Res Comm 2016;92:273-88.
8. Ohkhawa H, Ohisi N, Yogi K. Assay for lipid peroxidation in animal tissue by thiobituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 1979;95:351.
9. Moron MS, Depierre JW, Mannervik B. Levels of GSH, GR and GST activities in rat lung and liver. Biocham Biophys Acta 1979;582:67.
10. Leyko W, Bartosz G. Membrane effects of ionizing radiation and hyperthermia. Int J Radiat Biol 1986;49:743.
11. Raeligh JA. Prostaglandin and lipid metabolism. In: â€œRadiation Injuryâ€, Walden Jr. T. C. and Huges Eds. Plennum Press: New York; 1987. p. 3.
12. Tsen CC, Collier HB. The protective action of tocopherol against hemolysis of rat erythrocytes by dialuric acid. Can J Biochem Physiol 1960;38:957.
13. Patil SL, Mallaiah SH, Patil RK. Antioxidative and radio-protective potential of rutin and quercetin in Swiss albino mice exposed to gamma radiation. J Med Phys 2013;38:87-92.
14. Jagetia GC, Rao SK. The isoquinoline alkaloid berberine augments radiation effect by enhancing the DNA damage at the molecular level in hela cells irradiated with various doses of Î³-radiation: correlation between DNA damage and clonogenicity. J Mol Genet Med 2016;10:235.
15. Sharma G, Sisodia R, Meghnani E. Radiation induced testicular injury and its amelioration by Prunus domestica in Swiss albino mice. Int J Radiat Res 2015;131:45-54.
16. Nagendra K, Ramachandran HD, Akshay Kumar R. Estimation of radioprotective effects of garcinia indica methanol extracts in swiss albino mice. Int J Res Dev Pharm Life Sci 2015; 4:1407-11.
17. Maharwal J. Radioprotective effect of certain plant extract on liver and intestine of swiss albino mice. Ph. D. thesis, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India; 2002.
18. Bhaya B. Prevention of radiation-induced cytogenetic changes in swiss albino mice by plant extract. Ph. D. thesis, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India; 2004.
19. Jagetia GC, Reddy TK. Modulation of radiation-induced an alteration in the antioxidant status of mice by naringin. Life Sci 2005;77:780.
20. Samarth RM, Saini MR, Maharwal J, Dhaka A, Kumar A. Mentha piperita Linn. leaf extract provides protection against radiation-induced alterations in intestinal mucosa of Swiss albino mice. Ind J Exp Biol 2007;40:1245.
21. Goyal PK, Gehlot P. Radioprotective effects of Aloe vera leaf extract on Swiss albino mice against whole-body gamma irradiation. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 2009;281:53-61.
22. Halliwell B, Gutteridge JMC. Lipid peroxidation: a radical chain reaction. In: â€œFree radicals in Biology and Medicine. Claredon Press: Oxford; 1989. p. 121.
23. Atherton P. Aloe vera: magic or medicine? Nurs Stand 1998; 12:49.
24. Sabeh F, Wright T, SJ Norton. Purification and characterization of a glutathione peroxidase from the Aloe vera plant. Enzyme Protein 1993;47:92.
25. Klein A, Penneys N. Aloe vera. J Am Acad Dermatol 1988;18:714.
26. Meister A, Anderson ME. Glutathione. Ann Rev Biochem 1983;52:711.
27. Sen CK. Nutritional biochemistry of cellular glutathione. J Nut Biochem 1997;8:660.
28. Droge W, Schulze-Osthoff K, Galter D, Schenk H, Eck H, Roth S, et al. Function of glutathione and glutathione disulphide immunity and immunopathology. FASEB J 1994;8:1131.
29. Sen CK, Ataly M, Hanninen O. Effects of radiophosphorus on glutathione in the liver of mice. J Appl Physiol 1994;77:2177.
30. Khanna S, Atalay M, Gul M, Rooy S, Sen CK. Effects of radiation on TBARS in rats. J Appl Physiol 1999;86:1191.
31. Samarth RM, Kumar A. Radioprotection of Swiss albino mice by plant extract Mentha piperita Linn. J Radiat Res 2003;44:101.
32. Sharma MK, Sharma A, Kumar K, Kumar M. Spirulina fusiformis provides protection against mercuric chloride induced oxidative stress in Swiss albino mice. Food Chem Toxicol 2007;28:177.
33. Soyal D, Jindal A, Singh I, Goyal PK. Modulation of radiation-induced biochemical alterations in mice liver by Rosemarinus officinalis extract. Phytother Res 2007;14:701-5.
34. Uhling S, Wendel A. The physiological consequence of glutathione variation. Life Sci 1992;51:1083.
35. Jagetia GC, Venkatesh P, Baliga MS. Fruit extract of Aegle marmelos protects mice against radiation-induced lethality. Int Cancer Ther 2004;3:323.
36. Shetty TK, Satav JG, Nair CKK. Radiation protection of DNA and membrane in vitro by an extract of Hemidesmus indicus. Phytother Res 2005;19:387.
37. Samarth RM, Samarth M, Matsumoto Y. â€œMedicinally Important Aromatic Plants with Radioprotective Activity. FSO247. PMC. Web; 2018.