RADIOPROTECTIVE EFFECTS OF ALOE VERA ON HEPATOSOMATIC INDEX OF SWISS ALBINO MICE
Keywords:Radiation, Hepatosomatic index, Aloe vera, Radioprotector
Objective: In the living organisms, deleterious effects produced by ionizing radiations. Human exposure to ionizing radiations increased enormously because of rapid technological advancements. There is a need to protect humans against such effects of ionizing radiation. Protection against the deleterious effects of ionizing radiations by radioprotectors was studied, which may be of great help for human application. Present study was conducted to evaluate the modulating efficacy of prolonged administration of Aloe vera extract against gamma irradiation-induced toxicity in mice.
Methods: Animals were given Aloe vera leaf extract orally 1000 mg/kg body weight/d for 15 consecutive days before radiation exposure (0.5, 3 and 5.5 Gy gamma radiation).
Results: Mice were autopsied at day ¼, 1, 3, 5, 10 and 20 after irradiation to evaluate the radio modulator effect in terms of the hepatosomatic index.
Conclusion: Aloe vera extract has a beneficial protective effect against radiation-induced oxidative stress.
2. Nair CK, Parida DK, Nomura T. Radioprotectors in radiotherapy. J Radiation Res 2001;42:21–37.
3. Copp RR, Peebles DD, Soref CM, Fahl WE. Radioprotective efficacy and toxicity of a new family of aminothiol analogs. Int J Radiation Biol 2013;89:485–92.
4. Pal S, Saha C, Dey SK. Studies on black tea (Camellia sinensis) extract as a potential antioxidant and a probable radioprotector. Radiat Environ Biophys 2013;52:269–78.
5. Atherton P. Aloe vera: magic or medicine? Nurs Stand 1998;12:49.
6. Suplee H, Weinman EO, Enteman C. Enlargement of the liver in sprague dewley rats following whole-body X-irradiation. Am J Physiol 1956;185:183.
7. Enesco M, Leblond CP. Increase in cell number as a factor in the organs and tissue of the young male rats. J Embryol Exptl Morphol 1962;10:530.
8. Iakovleva VI. Histological and histochemical study of the liver of the rats exposed on the cosmos-690 biosatellite. Kasm Biol Aviakosm Med 1978;12:24.
9. Purohit RK. Modification of radiation-induced changes in mammalian skin and liver by liv.52. Ph. D thesis, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India; 1996.
10. Jain M. Evaluation of antioxidative efficacy of certain plant extract: a study on mice liver. Ph D. thesis, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India; 2002.
11. Maharwal J. Radioprotective effect of certain plant extract on liver and intestine of swiss albino mice. Ph. D. thesis, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India; 2002.
12. Kaware MK. Changes in liver and body weight of mice exposed to the toxicant. Int Res J Sci Eng 2013;1:92-5.
13. Agung JS, Sri I, Siti MM. Effect of ethanolic neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf extract as an herb contraceptive on the hepato-somatic index of the male mice (Mus musculus). J Physics: Conf Series 2018;1025:1-6.