COMPARISON OF AMINO ACIDS IN 8 DIFFERENT BOILED TROPICAL FRUITS
Objective: To determine the protein quality, especially the amino acid content of 8 tropical fruits both raw and boiled samples. Eight different tropical fruits were used in the study (Apricot, Jamun, Dragonfruit, Pomegranate, Mangustan, Litchi, Jackfruit, and Kiwi.
Methods: Ninhydrin method was used for the estimation of the concentration of amino acids present in the above fruits. Raw and boiled fruits were used for the study.
Results: Both raw and boiled forms which showed thats Jamun and Mangustan contained highest concentration amino acids whereas apricot shows the lowest concentration of amino acids except in Jamun which showed higher values in the raw fruit whereas in others the boiled samples showed higher values.
Conclusion: It was evident that tropical fruits have a good balance of the essential amino acids (both raw and boiled fomr) which provide significant sources of protein in our diet.
2. Liu W, Li SY, Huang XE, Cui JJ, Zhao T, Zhang H. Inhibition of tumor growth in vitro by a combination of extracts from Rosa roxburghiitratt and Fagopyrum cymosum. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2012;13:2409-11.
3. Berry RE. Tropical fruits and vegetable as potential protein sources. J Food Technol 1981;10:45-9.
4. Gomez, Encarna, Craig A, Ledbetter. Development of volatile compounds during fruit maturation: characterization of apricot and plumÃ— apricot hybrids. J Sci Food Agric 1997;74:541-6.
5. Shahnawaz, Muhammad, Sheikh SA, Nizamani SM. Determination of nutritive values of Jamun fruit (Eugenia jambolana) products. Pak J Nutr 2009;8:1275-80.
6. Stintzing, Florian C, Schieber A, Carle R. Betacyanins in fruits from red-purple pitaya, Hylocereus polyrhizus (Weber) britton and rose. Food Chem 2002;77:101-6.
7. Khan N, Afaq F, Kweon MH, Kim K. Oral consumption of pomegranate fruit extract inhibits growth and progression of primary lung tumors in mice. Cancer Res 2007;67:3475-82.
8. Misra, Himanshu. Development and validation of high performance thin-layer chromatographic method for determination of [alpha]-mangostin in fruit pericarp of mangosteen plant (Garcinia mangostana L.) using ultraviolet-visible detection. Rec Nat 2009;3:178.
9. Zanariah J, Rehan NJ. Protein and amino acid profiles of some Malaysian fruits. MARDI Res Bull Malaysia 1987;15:1-7.
10. Mann K, Farias CM, DelSol FG, Santos CF. The aminoacid sequence of the glucose/mannose specific lectin isolated from Parkia platycephala seeds reveals three tandemly arranged jacalin related domains. Eur J Biochem 2001;268:4414-22.
11. D'avino R, Bernardi ML, Wallner M, Palazzo P. Kiwifruit act d 11 is the first member of the ripening related protein family identified as an allergen. Allergy 2011;66:870-7.
12. Asadpoor AM, Ansarin M, Nemati M. Amino acid profile as a feasible tool for determination of the authenticity of fruit juices. Pharm Bull 2014;4:359â€“62.
13. Noomrio MH, Dahot MU. Nutritive value of Emgenia jambosa fruit. J Islam Acad Sci 1996;9:9-12.
14. Mirdehghan SH, Rahemi M. Seasonal changes of mineral nutrients and phenolics in pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) fruit. Sci Hortic 2007;111:120-7.
15. Setiawan E. Amino acids content in mangosteen fruit as affected by tree ages. Agrovigor 2018;9:33-8.
16. Spencer PS, Palmer VS, Mazumder R. Probable toxic cause for suspected lychee-linked viral encephalitis. Emerg Infect Dis 2015;21:904â€“5.
17. Zanariah J, Rehan NJ. Protein and amino acid profiles of some Malaysian fruits. MARDI Res Bull Malaysia 1987;15:1-7.
18. Camardella L, Carratore V, Ciardiello MA, Servillo L. Kiwi protein inhibitor of pectin methylesterase amino-acid sequence and structural importance of two disulfide bridges. Eur J Biochem 2000;267:4561-5.