COMPARISON OF THREE HERBAL PLANTS FOR BEST FREE RADICAL SCAVENGING ACTIVITY
Objective: Excessive production of reactive oxygen species leads to oxidative stress. Antioxidants can prevent or retard the oxidation caused by free radicals and sufficient intake of antioxidants is supposed to protect against diseases. Candidate playÂ
Methods: The leaf extracts of these plants were exposed to a battery of free radical scavenging assays like DPPH, ABTS, hydrogen peroxide, superoxide and nitric oxide to determine the free radical scavenging activity.
Results: It was observed that the Majoranahortensis leaves in methanolic extract showed maximum scavenging activity.
Conclusion: Several plants with free radical scavenging activity have been identified, where Majoranahortensis is one such leave.
2. Athukorala Y, Nam K, Jeon Y. Antiproliferative and antioxidant properties of an enzymatic hydrolysate from brown alga Ecklonia cava. Food Chem Toxicol 2006;44:1065-74.
3. Ruikar AD, Khatiwora E, Ghayal NA, Misar AV, Mujumdar AM, Puanik VG, et al. Studies on aerial parts of Artemisia pallens wall for phenol, flavonoid and evaluation of antioxidant activity. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2011;3:302-5.
4. El Moursi A, Talaat IM, Balbaa LK. The physiological effect of some antioxidant polyphenols on sweet marjoram (Majroanahortensis) plants. Nusantra Biosci 2012;4:11-5.
5. Sarma A, Sarma H, Sarma TC, Handique AK. Screening of essential oil obtained from inflorescence of lemongrass (Cymbopogonflexuosus) accessions. Indian J Nat Prod Resour 2011;2:236-41.
6. Adhikari S, Priyadarsini IK, Mukherjee T. Physico-chemical studies on the evaluation of the antioxidant activity of herbal extracts and active principles of some Indian medicinal plants. J Clin Biochem Nutr 2007;40:174-83.
7. Lobo V, Patil A, Phatak A, Chandra N. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional foods: impact on human health. Pharmacogn Rev 2010;4:118-26.
8. Mensor CC, Menezes FS, Leitao GG, Reis AS, Dos Santos TC, Coube CS, et al. Screening of Brazilian plant extracts for antioxidant activity by the use of DPPH free radical method. Phytother Res 2001;15:127-30.
9. Shirwaikar A, Rajendran K, Kumar CD. In vitro antioxidant studies of Annona squamosaLinn. leaves. Indian J Exp Biol 2004;42:803-7.
10. Ruch RJ, Cheng S, Klaunig JE. Prevention of cytotoxicity and inhibition of intercellular communication by antioxidant catechins isolated from Chinese green tea. Carcinogen 1998;10:1003-8.
11. Winterbourne CC, Hawkins RW, Brain M, Carrell RW. The estimation of red cell superoxide dismutase activity. J Lab Clin Med 1975;85:337-41.
12. Green LC, Wagner DA, Glogowski J, Skipper PL, Wishnok JS, Tannenbaum SR. Analysis of nitrate, nitrite and (15N), nitrate in a biological fluid. Anal Biochem 1982;126:131-8.
13. Hayet E, Maha M, Samia A, Ali MM, Souhir B, Abderaouf K, et al. Antibacterial, antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of extracts of Conyzacanadensis (L.) Cronquist growing in Tunisia. Med Chem Res 2009;18:447-54.
14. Liolios CC, Sotiroudis GT, Chinou I. Fatty acids, sterols, phenols and antioxidant activity of Phoenix theophrasti fruits growing in Crete, Greece. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 2009;64:52-61.
15. Mohana M, Padma PR. Free radical scavenging activity of bacoside fraction from Bacopamonnieri. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8:61-4.
16. Gao H, Shupe TF, Eberhardt TL, Hse CY. Antioxidant activity of extracts from the wood and bark of Port Orford cedar. J Wood Sci 2007;53:147-52.
17. Sivaprabha J, Sumathi S, Dharani B, Padma PR. Radical scavenging activity of leaves and rhizomes of Curcuma amada. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2011;3:167-74.
18. Chen Y, Miao Y, Huang L, Li J, Sun H, Zhao Y, et al. Antioxidant activities of saponins extracted from Radix trichosanthis: an in vivo and in-vitro evaluation. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2014;14:86-93.
19. Gulcin I, Elias R, Gepdiremen A, Boyer L, Koksal E. A comparative study on the antioxidant activity of fringe tree (Chionanthusrirgincus L.) extract. Afr J Biotech 2007;6:410-8.
20. Kaur P, Arora S. Superoxide anion radical scavenging activity of Cassia siamea and Cassia javanica. Med Chem Res 2009;20:9-15.
21. Lopez V, MartÄ±n S, Gomez-Serranillos MP, Carretero ME, Jager AK, Calvo MI. Neuroprotective and neurological properties of Melissa officinalis. Neurochem Res 2009;34:1955-61.
22. Wang BS, Chen JH, Liang YC, Duh PD. Effects of Welsh onion on oxidation of low-density lipoprotein and nitric oxide production in macrophage cell line RAW 264.7. Food Chem 2005;91:147.
23. Rao AS, Reddy SG, Babu PP, Reddy AR. The antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of methanolic extracts from Njavara rice bran. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2011;10:4-9.