PHYTOCHEMICAL SCREENING, IN VITRO ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTI PROTEASE ACTIVITIES OF METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF NILGIRIANTHUS HEYNEANUS NEES STEM
Keywords:Oxidative stress, Flavonoids, Free radicals, Niligirianthus heyneanus
Objective: The aim of this study was focussed on phytochemical screening, in vitro antioxidant and antiprotease activities of methanolic extract of Nilgirianthus heyneanus stem.
Methods: The stem of the plant was washed thoroughly, shade dried and coarsely powdered. The powdered material of Niligirianthus heyneanus stem was extracted with methanol using soxhlet apparatus. Preliminary phytochemical screening for carbohydrates, proteins, alkaloids, phytosteroids, flavonoids, glycosides, polyphenolics, saponins, tannins was done by following standard procedure. In vitro antioxidant activities of methanolic extract were assessed using DPPH, ABTS and total antioxidant capacity. In vitro anti-protease activity of the plant was analysed using trypsin as an enzyme and BAEE (N-benzoyl-L-arginine ethyl ester) as a substrate.
Results: The results showed that phytochemicals such as carbohydrates, proteins and amino acids, flavonoids, glycosides, tannins and polyphenolics are present in the methanolic extract of Niligirianthus heyneanus stem. The in vitro antioxidant and antiprotease activities of Niligirianthus heyneanus stem clearly showed that the plant has antioxidant and antiprotease activity.
Conclusion: From this work, it can be concluded that Niligirianthus heyneanus stem has the potential to be a strong antioxidant and protease inhibitor.
2. Gupta SS. Prospects and perspectives of natural plants products in medicine. Indian J Pharmacol 1994;26:1-12.
3. Pullaiah T. Encyclopaedia of world medicinal plants. Vol. 4. Regency Publications, New Delhi; 2006.
4. Sivarajan VV, Balachamdran I. Ayurvedic drugs and their plant sources. Oxford and IBH publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi; 1994. p. 402-11.
5. Nair RB, Ravisankar B, Vijayan NP, Saraswathy VN, Sasikala CK. Anti-inflammatory effect of Niligirianthus heyneanus (Sahachara)-biochemical study. Bull Medico-Ethno-Bot Res 1985;6:196-206.
6. Kumar A, Ilavarasan R, Jayachandran T, Deecaraman M, Aravindan P, Padmanabhan N, et al. Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effect of Niligirianthus heyneanus in alloxan induced diabetic rats. J Med Plants Res 2008;9:246-9.
7. Trease G, Evans SM. Pharmacognosy. 15th ed. London: Bailer Tindal; 2002. p. 23-67.
8. Harborne JB. Phytochemical methods-a guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. 2nd ed. London: Chapman and Hall; 1984. p. 14-6.
9. Tirzitis P, Bartosz G. Determination of antiradical and antioxidant activity: basic principles and new insights. Acta Biochimica Polonica 2010;57:139-42.
10. Thaipong K, Boonprakob U, Crosby K. Comparison of ABTS, DPPH, FRAP, and ORAC assays for estimating antioxidant activity from guava fruit extracts. J Food Composition Anal 2006;19:669-75.
11. Prieto P, Pineda M, Aguilar M. Spectrophotometric quantitation of antioxidant capacity through the formation of a phosphomolybdenum complex: specific application to the determination of vitamin E. Anal Biochem 1999;269:337–41.
12. Benedec D, Vlase L, Oniga I, Mot AC, Damian G, Hanganu D, et al. Polyphenolic composition, antioxidant and antibacterial activities for two romanian subspecies of Achillea distans waldst. e1t Kit. ex Wild. Molecules 2013;18:8725–39.
13. Charalampos P, Konstantina L, Olga KM, Panagiotis Z, Vassileia JS. Antioxidant capacity of selected plant extracts and their essential oils. Antioxidants 2013;2:11–22.
14. Paulsamy S, Jeeshna MV. Preliminary phytochemistry and antimicrobial studies of an endangered medicinal herb exacum bicolor Roxb. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2011;2:447–57.
15. Lu YR, Yeap Foo L. Antioxidant activities of polyphenols from sage (Salvia officinalis). Food Chem 2001;75:197–202.
16. Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice Evans C. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Rad Biol Med 1999;26:1231–7.
17. Gupta K, Maurya S, Agarwal S, Kushwaha A, Kumar R. Antioxidant assessment of extracts obtained through hot extraction process. Cell Mol Biol 2016;62:129.