STUDY OF VOLTAGE STRESSES INSIDE REGENERATIVE DRIVE
This paper investigates the effect of voltage stress on the voltage insulation components inside a regenerative active-front-end adjustable-speed drive (ASD). It shows that a high potential voltage insulation issue may exist on various components inside the ASD and cause earlier failures. A simplified system model to describe this phenomenon is described, and the voltage stresses of different components inside the ASD under different grounded conditions and filter capacitor are analyzed. It is concluded that among different grounding systems, a high-resistance grounded system gives minimum stress. Appropriately, designing the insulation components is critical to protect the drive.
2. Wei L, Liu Z, Skibinski G. DC Bus Voltage Clampmethod to Prevent Over-voltage Failures in Adjustable Speed Drives. Atlanta: IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition; 2010. p. 750-6.
3. Chen S, Lipo TA, Fitzgerald D. Source of induction motor bearing currents caused by PWM inverters. IEEE Trans Energy Convers 1996;11:25-32.
4. Busse D, Erdman J, Kerkman RJ, Schlegel D, Skibinski G. Bearing currents and their relationship to PWM drives. IEEE Trans Power Electron 1997;2:243-52.
5. Kerkman RJ, Leggate D, Skibinski G. Interaction of drive modulation and cable parameters on AC motor transients. IEEE Trans Ind Appl 1997;33:722-31.
6. Skibinski G, Leggate D, Kerkman RJ. Cable Characteristics and their Influence on Motor Over Voltage. Atlanta, GA: IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference; 1997. p. 114-21.
7. Skibinski G, Kerkman RJ, Leggate D, Schelgel D. EMI emissions of modern PWM AC drives. IEEE Ind Appl Mag 1999;5:47-81.
8. Ogasawara S, Ayano H, Akagi H. An active circuit for cancellation of common-mode voltage generated by a PWM inverter. IEEE Trans Power Electron 1998;13:835-41.
9. Julian A, Oriti G, Lipo T. Elimination of common-mode voltage in three phase sinusoidal power converters. IEEE Trans Power Electron 1999;14:982-9.
10. Swamy MM, Yamada K, Kume T. Common mode current attenuation techniques for use with PWM drives. IEEE Trans Power Electron 2001;16:248-55.
11. Son YC, Sul SK. A new active common-mode filter for PWM inverter. IEEE Trans Power Electron 2003;18:1309-14.
12. Hyypio D. Mitigation of bearing electro-erosion of inverter-fed motors through passive common-mode voltage suppression. IEEE Trans Ind Appl 2005;41:576-83.
13. Akagi H, Doumoto T. An approach to eliminating high-frequency shaft voltage and leakage current from an inverter-driven motor. IEEE Trans Ind Appl 2004;40:1162-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.