EVALUATION AND PATHOBIOLOGICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF ZINC, SELENIUM, AND PLATELET LEVELS IN SICKLE CELL ANEMIA
Objectives: The serum zinc and platelet statuses of sickle cell patients attending General Hospital, Owerri, Nigeria, were investigated.
Methods: Fifty confirmed sickle cell patients (hemoglobin [Hb]SS) age 10–30 years were selected. Fifty normal subjects (HbAA) age 10–30 years were used as control. The zinc and platelets were determined using standard methods.
Results: The levels of serum zinc, selenium, and platelet were significantly decreased in sickle cell anemia (p<0.05) when compared with the control.
Conclusion: The result suggests that supplementation of sickle cell patients with food and drug-containing zinc might be helpful, particularly in wound healing, as zinc positively correlates with platelet counts. These low zinc, selenium, and platelets could represent a risk for sickle cell anemia.
2. Nnodim JK, Meludu SC, Dioka CE, Onah C, Chilaka UJ, Obi PC. Altered membrane potential and electrolyte in sickle cell anemia. J Krishna Inst Med Sci Univ 2014;3:70-3.
3. Nnodim JK, Meludu SC, Dioka CE, Martin OI, Ukaibe N, Ihim A. Cytokine expression in homozygous sickle cell anaemia. J Krishna Inst Med Sci Univ 2015;4:34-7.
4. Nnodim JK, Meludu SC, Dioka CE, Ihim A, Onyemailoh OB, Obi PC. Antioxidant vitamins and glycated haemoglobin status in sickle cell anaemia. Al Ameen J Med Sci 2014;7:175-7.
5. Elshazly SA, Heiba NM, Abdelmageed WM. Plasma PTX3 levels in sickle cell disease patients, during vaso occlusion and acute chest syndrome (data from Saudi population). Hematology 2014;19:52-9.
6. Gardner K, Thein SL. Super-elevated LDH and thrombocytopenia are markers of a severe subtype of vaso-occlusive crisis in sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol 2015;90:E206-7.
7. Whelihan MF, Lim MY, Mooberry MJ, Piegore MG, Ilich A, Wogu A, et al. Thrombin generation and cell-dependent hypercoagulability in sickle cell disease. J Thromb Haemost 2016;14:1941-52.
8. Alsultan A, Alabdulaali MK, Griffin PJ, Alsuliman AM, Ghabbour HA, Sebastiani P, et al. Sickle cell disease in Saudi Arabia: The phenotype in adults with the Arab-Indian haplotype is not benign. Br J Haematol 2014;164:597-604.
9. Hess SY, Peerson JM, King JC, Brown KH. Use of serum zinc concentration as an indicator of population zinc status. Food Nutr Bull 2007;28:S403-29.
10. Prasad AS. Discovery of human zinc deficiency: 50 years later. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2012;26:66-9.
11. Stewart-Knox BJ, Simpson EE, Parr H, Rae G, Polito A, Intorre F, et al. Zinc status and taste acuity in older Europeans: The ZENITH study. Eur J Clin Nutr 2005;59 Suppl 2:S31-6.
12. Nnodim JK, Meludu SC, Dioka CE, Onah C, Ihim A, Atuegbu C. Trace elements deficiency in patients with homozygous sickle cell disease. Br J Med Med Res 2014;4:3879-88.
13. Buseri FI, Jeremiah ZA, Shokunbi WA. Plasma levels of some blood coagulation parameters in Nigerian homozygous sickle cell patients (HbSS) in steady state. Hematology 2006;11:375-9.
14. Anea CB, Lyon M, Lee IA, Gonzales JN, Adeyemi A, Falls G, et al. Pulmonary platelet thrombi and vascular pathology in acute chest syndrome in patients with sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol 2016;91:173-8.
15. Ochei J, Kolhatkar A. Medical Laboratory Science Theory and Practical. 7th ed. McGraw-Hill; Noida; 2008. p. 177-87.
16. Kuypers FA. Hemoglobin s polymerization and red cell membrane changes. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2014;28:155-79.
17. Foster M, Samman S. Zinc and regulation of inflammatory cytokines: Implications for cardiometabolic disease. Nutrients 2012;4:676-94.
18. Nnodim JK, Nwobodo E, Nwadike NN, Edward U, Aloy-Amadi O, Obi P. Evaluation of albumin zinc and Vitamin C in surgical wound patients. Med Sci Healthc Pract 2017;1:60-6.
19. Lazzerini M, Wanzira H. Oral zinc for treating diarrhoea in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016;12:CD005436.
20. Lassi ZS, Moin A, Bhutta ZA. Zinc supplementation for the prevention of pneumonia in children aged 2 months to 59 months. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016;12:CD005978.
21. Pakbaz Z, Wun T. Role of the hemostatic system on sickle cell disease pathophysiology and potential therapeutics. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2014;28:355-74.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.