THE RELEVANCE OF MEDICAL LABORATORY DIAGNOSIS IN CORONAVIRUS IN SUSPECTED HUMAN CASES
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are known to cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. Coronavirus disease (Covid-19) is an infectious disease caused by a new virus. It leads to respiratory illness with symptoms such as a cough, fever, and in more severe cases, difficulty breathing. One can be protected by washing hands regularly, avoiding touching your face, and avoiding close contact with individuals who are unhealthy. It is transmitted through contact with an infected individual when they cough or sneeze. It could be transmitted when an individual touches a surface or object that has the virus on it, then touches the eyes, nose, or mouth. Some laboratory test to diagnose covid-19 includes real-time RT-PCR primer and probe and CDC serology test. It is very necessary that covid-19 is diagnosed for accurate treatment and management.
2. Wang W, Tang J, Wei F. Updated understanding of the outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Wuhan, China. J Med Virol 2020;92:441-7.
3. Chughtai A, Malik A. Is coronavirus disease (COVID-19) case fatality ratio underestimated? Glob Biosecur 2020;1:2-7.
4. Yi-Chi W, Ching-Sung C, Yu-Jiun C. The outbreak of COVID-19: An overview. J Chin Med Assoc 2020;83:217-20.
5. Zhang L, Liu Y. Potential interventions for novel coronavirus in China: A systematic review. J Med Virol 2020;92:479-90.
6. Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X, Qu J, Gong F, Han Y, et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in 6.Wuhan, China: A descriptive study. Lancet 2020;395:507-13.
7. Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, Ren L, Zhao J, Hu Y. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet 2020;395:497-506.
8. Chih-Cheng L, Tzu-Ping S, Wen-Chien K, Hung-Jen T, Po-Ren H. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19): The epidemic and the challenges. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2020;55:105924.
9. Moriyama M, Hugentobler WJ, Iwasaki A. Seasonality of respiratory viral infections. Ann Rev Virol 2020;7:44-6.
10. Kampf G, Todt D, Pfaender S, Steinmann E. Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents. J Hosp Infect 2020;104:246-51.
11. Xu H, Zhong L, Deng J, Peng J, Dan H, Zeng X, et al. High expression of ACE2 receptor of 2019-nCoV on the epithelial cells of oral mucosa. Int J Oral Sci 2020;12:8.
12. Heymann DL, Shindo N, WHO Scientific and Technical Advisory Group for Infectious Hazards. COVID-19: What is next for public health? Lancet 2020;395:542-5.
13. Zhou F, Yu T, Du R, Fan G, Liu Y, Liu Z. Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: A retrospective cohort study. Lancet 2020;395:1054-62.
14. Cohen J, Normile D. New SARS-like virus in China triggers alarm. Science 2020;367:234-5.
15. Anderson RM, Heesterbeek H, Klinkenberg D, Hollingsworth TD. How will country-based mitigation measures influence the course of the COVID-19 epidemic? Lancet 2020;395:931-4.
16. Cheng ZJ, Shan J. 2019 Novel coronavirus: Where we are and what we know. Infection 2020;48:155-63.
17. Spackman E, Senne DA, Myers TJ. Development of a real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assay for type a influenza virus and the avian H5 and H7 hemagglutinin subtypes. J Clin Microbiol 2002;40:3256-60.
18. Bustin SA. Absolute quantification of mRNA using real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction assays. J Mol Endocrinol 2000;25:169.
19. Hierro N, Esteve-Zarzoso B, González A, Mas A, Guillamón JM. Real-time quantitative PCR (QPCR) and reverse transcription-QPCR for detection and enumeration of total yeasts in wine. Appl Environ Microbiol 2006;72:7148-55.
20. Slomka MJ, Pavlidis T, Coward VJ. Validated RealTime reverse transcriptase PCR methods for the diagnosis and pathotyping of Eurasian H7 avian influenza viruses. Influenza Other Respir Viruses 2009;3:151-64.
21. Lu H. Drug treatment options for the 2019-new coronavirus (2019- nCoV). Biosci Trends 2020;14:69-71.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.