RESPONSE OF HYPOTHYROIDISM TO HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT: A REPORT OF THREE CASES
Objectives:Hypothyroidism is a disease in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone.It is the second most common endocrine disorder among women.Common causes are autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, surgical removal of the thyroid and radiation therapy.Symptoms of Hypothyroidism include weight gain, alteration in cognition, fatigue, infertility and menstrual abnormalities.Thyroid stimulating hormone is highly sensitive to thyroid dysfunction and is used to evaluate thyroid disorders.Monotherapy with Levothyroxine is the standard for treating hypothyroidism in the conventional method.Apart from coventional method of treatment homoeopathy also has a scope in the treatment of hypothyroidism.
Methods: This is a series of three cases which presented with symptoms of Hypothyroidism thoroughly evaluated and treated with constitutional homoeopathic medicine in a variable period of time.Assesment of thyroid stimulating hormone was done to see the improvement in the cases .
Results: A marked improvement in the clinical symptoms as well as the pathological report was observed.
Conclusion: This case series shows that Homoeopathic intervention can be used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism.
2. Bagcchi S. Hypothyroidism in India: More to be done. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2014;2:779.
3. Sood A, Pandav CS, Anand K, Sankar R, Karmarkar MG. Relevance and importance of universal salt iodization in India. Natl Med J India 1997;10:290-3.
4. Kapil U, Saxena N, Ramachandran S, Balamurugan A, Nayar D, Prakash S.Assessment of iodine deficiency disorders using the 30 cluster approach in the national capital territory of Delhi. Indian Pediatr 1996;33:1017-3.
5. Sethi B, Barua S, Raghavendra MS, Gotur J, Khandelwal D, Vyas U. The thyroid registry: Clinical and hormonal characteristics of adult Indian patients with hypothyroidism. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2017;21:302-7.
6. Gutch M, Philip R, Philip R, Toms A, Saran S, Gupta KK. Skeletal manifestations of juvenile hypothyroidism and the impact of treatment on skeletal system. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2013;17:S181-3.
7. Brown BT, Bonello R, Pollard H, Graham P. The influence of a biopsychosocial-based treatment approach to primary overt hypothyroidism: A protocol for a pilot study. Trials 2010;11:106.
8. Eligar V, Taylor PN, Okosieme OE, Leese GP, Dayan CM. Thyroxine replacement: A clinical endocrinologist’s viewpoint. Ann Clin Biochem 2016;53:421-33.
9. Chauhan VK, Manchanda RK, Narangs A, Marwaha RK, Arora S, Nagpal L, et al. Efficacy of homeopathic intervention in subclinical hypothyroidism with or without autoimmune thyroiditis in children: An exploratory randomized control study. Homeopathy 2014;103:224-31.
10. Debbarma R, Nayak C, Chattopadhyay A. An open-label randomized pragmatic exploratory pilot trial to compare the effectiveness of Echinacea angustifolia 200cH against individualized homoeopathic medicines in hypothyroidism. Natl Homoeo Rec 2018;14:24-17.
11. Fisher P. International homoeopathy-science or sectarianism? Br Homeopath J 1996;85:55-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.