SYNTHESIS OF SOME NOVEL TRIAZOLE DERIVATIVES AS SCHIFF BASES AND THEIR ANTIMICROBIAL EVALUATION
Objective: This work involves the synthesis of some novel schiff base derivatives synthesized from p-amino benzoic acid.
Methods: A series of 4-[4-(arylidene amino-5-mercapto-4H-[1, 2, 4] triazol-3-yl]-benzoic acid complexes were synthesized from 4-(4-amino-5-mercapto-4H-[1, 2, 4] triazol-3-yl)-benzoic acid by reaction with different aromatic aldehydes. All the synthesized schiff base derivatives were characterized by using analytical techniques (FT-IR, 1H NMR and Mass spectroscopy). The title compounds were evaluated for antibacterial activity against Gram-positive bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pneumoniae) and Gram-negative bacteria (Escherichia coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa) and anti-fungal activity against (Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger).
Results: Schiff base derivatives 5(a-h) were synthesized in good yields and showed antimicrobial activity, among them, compounds 5c, 5d, 5e and 5f were significantly active against gram positive, gram negative bacterial and fungal strains and rest of compounds showed moderate to weak activity.
Conclusion: The Schiff base obtained showed variation in the antimicrobial and antifungal activity, based on the structure of the substituted aromatic aldehydes.
2. Nandi J, Sankar VK. Synthesis and docking of the schiff base derived from 4-aminopyridine. J Pharm Sci Innovation; 2012. p. 9-11.
3. Raman N, Raja JD, Sakthivel A. Synthesis, spectral characterization of Schiff base transition metal complexes: DNA cleavage and antimicrobial activity studies. J Chem Sci 2007;119:303â€“10.
4. Singh K, Kumar Y, Puri P, Sharma C, Aneja KR. Metal-based biologically active compounds: synthesis, spectral and antimicrobial studies of cobalt, nickel, copper, and zinc complexes of triazole-derived Schiff bases. Bioinorg Chem Appl 2011;1-10. Doi.org/10.1155/2011/901716.
5. Bhagyalakshmi N, Udupi RH, Niranjan MS. Design, synthesis, and evaluation of biological activity of certain novel triazole Schiff bases. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2012;1:287-94.
6. Wahi AK, Singh AK, Singh A. Design and synthesis of novel schiff bases having N-(4H-1,2,4-triazole-4-yl) benza-amide moiety as antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory agents. Pharm Chem 2011;3:146-54.
7. Chandramouli, Shivanand MR, Navinbhai TB, Bheem acharaya, Udupi RH. Synthesis and biological screening of certain new triazole Schiff bases and their derivatives bearing substituted benzothiazole moiety. J Chem Pharm Res 2012;4:1151-9.
8. Thai M, Webster ER, Wilson R, Nithinchandra, Kalluraya B, Aamir S, et al. Regioselective reaction: synthesis, characterization and pharmacological activity of some new Mannich and Schiff bases containing sydnone. Eur J Med Chem 2012;54:597-604.
9. Sondhi SM, Singh N, Kumar A, Lozachc O, Meijer L. Synthesis, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and kinase (CDK-1, CDK-5 and GSK-3) inhibition activity evaluation of benzimidazole/ benzoxazole derivatives and some Schiff bases. Bioorg Med Chem 2006;14:3758â€“65.
10. Bhandari VS, Bothara KG, Raut MK, Patil AA, Sarkate PA, Mokal VJ. Design, synthesis, and evaluation of anti-inflammatory, analgesic and ulcerogenicity studies of novel s-substituted phenacyl-1,3,4-oxadiazole-2-thiol and schiff bases of diclofenac acid as nonulcerogenic derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem 2008;16:1822â€“31.
11. Sondhi SM, Dinodia M, Kumar A. Synthesis, anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity evaluation of some amidine and hydrazone derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem 2006;14:4657â€“63.
12. Khedr AM, Marwani HM. Synthesis, spectral, thermal analyses and molcular modeling of bioactive Cu (II)-complexes with 1,3,4-thiadiazole Schiff base derivatives. Their catalytic effect on the cathodic reduction of oxygen. Int J Electrochem Sci 2012;7:10074-93.
13. Gupta AK, Prachand S, Patel A, Jain S. Synthesis of some 4-amino-5-(substituted-phenyl)-4H-[1, 2, 4] triazole-3-thiol derivatives and antifungal activity. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2012;3:1849-57.
14. Mehta D, Das R, Dua K. Synthesis, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial activity of some new 1,3,4-oxadiazoles and 1,3,4-oxadiazoles-2-thione derivatives as mannich bases containing furan moiety. Int J Chem Sci 2009;2:225-34.
15. Desai NC, Makwana AH, Senta RD. Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of some novel 4-(4-(arylamino)-6-(piperidin-1-yl)-1,3,5-triazine-2-ylamino)-N-(pyrimidin-2-yl) benzenesulfonamides. J Chem Soc 2015;1-9. Doi:10.1016/J.Jscs.2015.01.004.
16. Kumari G, Kumari D, Singh C, Kumari A, VBR. Synthesis, physical characterization and antimicrobial activity of trivalent metal Schiff base complexes. J Serb Chem Soc 2010;75:629â€“37.
17. Holla BS, Udupa KV. Synthesis, spectral studies and biological activities of some N-bridge heterocycles derived from 3-aryl aminomethyl-4-amino-5-mercapto-1,2,4-triazoles. Farmaco 1992;47:305-18.