ESSENTIAL OILS AND METHYLGLYOXAL: A POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT FOR ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANT BACTERIAL INFECTIONS
Objective: Essential oils are of significant interest in today's world of healthcare because these compounds have a variety of medicinal properties. In this study, we evaluated the in vitro antibiotic role of essential oils as a possible alternative treatment in combatting Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).
Methods: In conjunction with carrier oils, three essential oils (cassia, cinnamon bark, and thyme), as well as methylglyoxal were tested on MRSA using the Kirby-Bauer disc diffusion method.
Results: The minimum inhibitory concentration of each tested essential oil and methylglyoxal in carrier oil was determined to be 25% essential oil and 75% carrier oil mixture. This concentration worked much more effectively than the standard antibiotic, vancomycin, which is currently used to treat MRSA infections.
Conclusion: Antibacterial emollients made from naturally occurring products like essential oils can be cost-effective alternatives to antibiotics. The results of this research show that these emollients are more effective against MRSA than standard antibiotics in cell culture.
2. Davies J, Davies D. Origins and evolution of antibiotic resistance. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 2010;74:417-33.
3. Cui L, Iwamoto A, Lian JQ, Neoh HM, Maruyama T, Horikawa Y, et al. Novel mechanism of antibiotic resistance originating in vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2006;50:428-38.
4. Amoako D, Bester L, Somboro A, Baijnath S, Govind CN, Essack SY. Plasmid-mediated resistance and virulence mechanisms in the private health sector in Kwa Zulu-Natal, South Africa: an investigation of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) clinical isolates collected during a three-month period. Int J Infect Dis 2016;46:38-41.
5. The White House. National Strategy for Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria. Washington DC. The Center for Disease Control; 2014.
6. Lawless, Julia. The illustrated encyclopedia of essential oils: The complete guide to the use of oils in aromatherapy and herbalism. New York: Element Books Limited; 1995.
7. Sharma P, Mack J, Rojtman A. Ten highly effective essential oils inhibit the growth of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Methicillin Sensitive Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:52-4.
8. Qureshi W, Palayekar V, Dayan E, Mack J, Rojtman A. Combating the antibiotic resistance threat. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:68-72.
9. Bauer AW, Kirby WM, Sherris JC, Turck M. Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. Am J Clin Pathol 1966;45:493-6.
10. Liu C, Bayer A, Cosgrove SE, Daum RS, Fridkin SK, Gorwitz RJ, et al. Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in adults and children. Clin Infect Dis 2011;52:1-38.
11. Rutala W, Weber D. Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities. Chapel Hill (NC): The Center for Disease Control; 2008.