SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF LOPERAMIDE HYDROCHLORIDE AND TINIDAZOLE IN BULK AND FORMULATIONS BY REVERSE PHASE HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY
Objective: A new, rapid, selective, precise, accurate and economical, isocratic, reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography method has been developed for simultaneous estimation of loperamide hydrochloride and tinidazole in bulk and in tablet formulations.
Methods: The separation was achieved by using Lithosphere RP C-18, (250 x 4.6 mm, 5 Âµm) end capped column with a mobile phase containing sodium-1-octane sulfonate buffer: methanol: acetonitrile (40:30:30%v/v/v) pH adjusted to 4.0 (using dilute orthophosphoric acid). The flow rate was 1.0 ml/m and column effluent was monitored at 224 nm. The method was validated as per international conference on chemical harmonization (ICH) guidelines.
Results: Tinidazole and loperamide hydrochloride were eluted at about 3.1 and 5.4 min respectively, indicating the shorter analysis time. The proposed method was found to be accurate, precise and reproducible. The linearity was established in the concentration range of 10-50 Âµg/ml. Limit of detection (LOD) and Limit of quantification (LOQ) was found to be 0.001 Âµg/ml and 0.003 Âµg/ml for loperamide hydrochloride and 0.01 Âµg/ml and 0.03 Âµg/ml for tinidazole.
Conclusion: This method can be used for routine analysis of formulations containing any of the above drugs or combinations without any alteration in the chromatographic conditions.
2. http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00911. [Last accessed on 20 Dec 2014].
3. Sujatha T, Balamuralikrishna K, Rameshraju R. A validated RP-HPLC method for estimation of Loperamide hydrochloride in tablet dosage forms. Int J ChemTech Res 2014;6:1097-102.
4. Lokesh S, Sanju N. Validated spectrophotometric methods for estimation of Loperamide hydrochloride from tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharam Clin Res 2010;3:121-2.
5. Khaja P, Asgar A, Shanana B, Syed AH. Reverse phase-HPLC method for the analysis of Tinidazole in the pharmaceutical dosage form and bulk drug. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:46-7.
6. ICH Guidance. Validation of Analytical Methods: Definition and Terminology. Geneva: International Conference on Harmonization, Q2A; 2005.
7. ICH Guidance. Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology. Geneva: International Conference on Harmonization, Q2B; 2005.
8. Litovitz T, Clancy C, Korberly B, Temple AR, Mann KV. Surveillance of loperamide ingestions: an analysis of 216 poison center reports. J Clin Toxicol 1997;35:11â€“9.
9. Katzung BG. Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. 9th ed; 2004.
10. Ebel K, Koehler H, Gamer AO, JÃ¤ckh R. Imidazole, and Derivatives. In: Ullmannâ€™s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry: Wiley-VCH; 2002.
11. Edwards and David I. Nitroimidazole drugs-Mechanism of action and resistance mechanisms. J Antimicrob Chemother 1993;31:9-20.