REDUCED SUSCEPTIBILITY OF MRSA TO VANCOMYCIN
Objective: This study was conducted to observe the antibiogram, vancomycin MIC (Minimum Inhibitory Concentration), and inducible clindamycin resistance in clinical isolates of MRSA (Methicillin-Resistance Staphylococcus aureus).
Methods: Drug resistance pattern was studied by Kirby-Bauer disc diffusion methods. MIC of vancomycin was determined by agar dilution method.
Results: MRSA was found to be highly resistant to gentamicin (76%), erythromycin (67.03%) and ciprofloxacin (65.09%) while glycopeptides showed uniform susceptibility.Conclusion: Though there was no drug resistance observed against vancomycin and linezolid, itâ€™s wise to use these antibiotics safely as emerging resistance has been reported for these drugs from all over the world.
2. Hiramatsu K, Hanaki H, Ino T, Yabuta K, Oguri T, Tenover FC. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clinical strain with reduced vancomycin susceptibility. J Antimicrob Chemother 1997;40:135â€“46.
3. Rajaduraipandi K, Mani KR, Panneerselvam K, Mani M, Bhaskar M, Manikandan P. Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus: a multicentre study. Indian J Med Microbiol 2006;24:34-8.
4. Pulimood TB, Lalitha MK, Jesudason MV, Pandian R, Selwyn J, John TJ. The spectrum of antimicrobial resistance among methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in a tertiary care centre in India. Indian J Med Res 1996;103:212-5.
5. Deotale V, Mendiratta DK, Raut U, Narang P. Inducible clindamycin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus isolated from clinical samples. Indian J Med Microbiol 2010;28:124-6.
6. Assadullah S, Kakru DK, Thoker MA, Bhat FA, Hussain N, Shah A. Emergence of low-level vancomycin resistance in MRSA. Indian J Med Microbiol 2003;21:196â€“8.
7. Menezes GA, Harish BN, Sujatha S, Vinothini K, Parija SC. Emergence of vancomycin-intermediate staphylococcus species in southern India. J Med Microbiol 2008;57:911â€“2.
8. Bhateja P, Mathur T, Pandya M, Fatma T, Rattan A. Detection of vancomycin resistance staphylococcus aureus: a comparative study of three different phenotypic screening methods. Indian J Med Microbiol 2005;23:52â€“5.
9. Veer P, Chande C, Chavan S, Wabale V, Chopdekar K, Bade J, et al. Increasing levels of minimum inhibitory concentration vancomycin in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus alarming bell for vancomycin abusers. Indian J Med Microbiol 2010;28:413â€“4.
10. Dhawan B, Gadepalli R, Rao C, Kapil A, Sreenivas V. Decreased susceptibility to vancomycin in meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a 5 y study in an Indian tertiary hospital. J Med Microbiol 2010;59:375-6.