PICEATANNOL AMELIORATES CISPLATIN-INDUCED HISTOLOGICAL AND BIOCHEMICAL ALTERATIONS IN RATS KIDNEY
Objective: The present study was designed to investigate the effect of different doses of piceatannol (PIC) on cisplatin-induced biochemical and histological alterations in rat kidney.
Methods: Male Wistar rats received a single intraperitoneal (i. p.) injection of cisplatin (7 mg/kg). PIC was given in different daily doses (5, 10 and 20 mg/kg) i. p., for seven days, starting two days before cisplatin injection. Nephrotoxicity was evaluated by means of measurement of blood urea nitrogen (BUN), serum creatinine and histopathological examination of the kidney. We also investigated the antioxidant effect of the most effective dose of PIC by measuring reduced glutathione (GSH) and lipid peroxides levels. Moreover, the ability of PIC to affect nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kB) expression was determined by immunohistochemical analysis.
Results: A single dose of cisplatin (7 mg/kg) significantly increased BUN and creatinine levels, as well as relative kidney weight, compared to the control group. In addition, significant histopathological alterations including tubular necrosis, hemorrhage and casts formation were observed. PIC was given in different doses (5, 10 and 20 mg/kg) for 7 d, starting 2 d before cisplatin injection. PIC dose 10 mg/kg was the most effective in preventing these alterations. PIC significantly increased GSH level and decreased lipids peroxidation compared to cisplatin group. Moreover, PIC significantly mitigated cisplatin-induced expression of NF-kB.
Conclusion: PIC has the potential to ameliorate cisplatin-induced renal injury.Â
2. Santos NA, CatÃ£o CS, Martins NM, Curti C, Bianchi ML, Santos AC. Cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity is associated with oxidative stress, redox state unbalance, impairment of ener-getic metabolism and apoptosis in rat kidney mitochondria. Arch Toxicol 2007;81:495-504.
3. Arany I, Safirstein RL. Cisplatin nephrotoxicity. Semin Nephrol 2003;23:460-4.
4. Peres LA, da Cunha AD Jr. Acute nephrotoxicity of cisplatin: molecular mechanism. J Bras Nefrol 2013;35:332-40.
5. SÃ¡nchez-GonzÃ¡lez PD, LÃ³pez-HernÃ¡ndez FJ, LÃ³pez-Novoa JM, Morales AI. An integrative view of the pathophysiologiÂ¬cal events leading to cisplatin nephrotoxicity. Crit Rev Toxicol 2011;41:803-21.
6. Ozkok A, Edelstein CL. Pathophysiology of cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury. BioMed Res Int 2014;1:1-17.
7. Khan SA, Priyamvada S, Khan W, Khan S, Farooq N, Yusufi AN. Studies on the protective effect of green tea against cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity. Pharmacol Res 2009;60:382-91.
8. Sindhu G, Nishanthi E, Sharmila R. Nephroprotective effect of vanillic acid against cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity in wistar rats: a biochemical and molecular study. Env Toxicol Pharmacol 2015;39:392-404.
9. Piotrowska H, Kucinska M, Murias M. Biological activity of piceatannol: leaving the shadow of resveratrol. Mutat Res 2012;750:60-82.
10. Ferrigni NR, McLaughlin JL, Powell RG, Smith Jr CR. Use of potato disc and brine shrimp bioassays to detect activity and isolate piceatannol as the antileukemic principle from the seeds of Euphorbia lagascae. J Natural Prod 1984;47:347-52.
11. Tyagi S, Chirag JP, Raghvendra. Biological and clinical spectrum of piceatannol-a hydroxylated analogue of resveratrol: a phytochemical review. J Biomed Pharm Res 2012;1:1-5.
12. Kukreja A, Wadhwa N, Tiwari A. Therapeutic role of resveratrol and piceatannol in disease prevention. J Blood Disorders Transf 2014;5:1-6.
13. Rossi M, Caruso F, Opazo C, Salciccioli J. Crystal and molecular structure of piceatannol; scavenging features of resveratrol and piceatannol on hydroxyl and peroxyl radicals and docking with transthyretin. J Agric Food Chem 2008;56:10557-66.
14. Ashikawa K, Majumdar S, Banerjee S, Bharti AC, Shishodia S, Aggarwal BB. Piceatannol inhibits TNF-Induced NF-ÎºB activation and NF-ÎºB-mediated gene expression through suppression of I ÎºB Î± Kinase and p65 phosphorylation. J Immunol 2002;169:6490-7.
15. Youn J, Lee JS, Na HK, Kundu JK, Surh YJ. Resveratrol and piceatannol inhibit iNOS expression and NF-Îº B activation in dextran sulfate sodium-induced mouse colitis. Nutr Cancer 2009;61:847-54.
16. Kalariya NM, Shoebc M, Aramati BM, Reddy ABM, Sawhney R, Ramana KV. Piceatannol suppresses endotoxin-induced ocular inflammation in rats. Int Immpharmacol 2013;17:439â€“46.
17. Son PS, Park SA, Na HK, Jue DM, Kim S, Surh YJ. Piceatannol, a catechol-type polyphenol, inhibits phorbol ester-induced NF-kB activation and cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human breast epithelial cells: cysteine 179 of IKKb as a potential target. Carcinogenesis 2010;31:1442-9.
18. Farrand L, Byun S, Kim JY, Im-Aram A, Lee J, Lim S, et al. Piceatannol enhances cisplatin sensitivity in ovarian cancer via modulation of p53, X-linked Inhibitor of apoptosis protein (XIAP), and mitochondrial fission. J Biol Chem 2013;288:23740-50.
19. Butler AR. The JaffÃ© reaction. Part II. A kinetic study of the Janovsky complexes formed from creatinine (2-imino-1-methylimazolidin-4-one) and acetone. J Chem Soc Perkin Trans 1975;2:853-7.
20. Clark VL, Kruse JA. Clinical methods: the history, physical, and laboratory examinations. JAMA 1990;264:2808-9.
21. Banchroft JD, Stevens A, Turner DR. Theory and practice of histological techniques. 4th ed. Churchil Livingstone, New York; 1996.
22. Park JY, Choi P, Kim T, Ko H, Kim HK, Kang KS, et al. Protective effects of processed ginseng and its active ginsenosides on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity: in vitro and in vivo studies. J Agric Food Chem 2015;63:5964-9.
23. Taguchi T, Nazneen A, Abid MR, Razzaque MS. Cisplatin associated nephrotoxicity and pathological events. Contrib Nephrol Basel, Karger 2005;148:107-21.
24. Gautam RK, Singh RK, Ms K. Evaluation of nephroprotective activity of mentha arvensis in cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:188-91.
25. Saleh S, Ain-Shoka AA, El-Demerdash E, Khalef MM. Protective effects of the angiotensin II receptor blocker losartan on cisplatin-induced kidney injury. Chemotherapy 2009;55:399â€“406.
26. Arjumand W, Sultana S. Glycyrrhizic acid: a phytochemical with a protective role against cisplatin-induced genotoxicity and nephrotoxicity. Life Sci 2011;89:422â€“9.
27. Reddy UK, Kumar S. Protective effect of Abutilon indicum L. (Malvaceae) against cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Innovare J Life Sci 2013;17:35-9.
28. Yao X, Panichpisal K, Kurtzman N, Nugent K. Cisplatin nephrotoxicity: a review. Am J Med Sci 2007;334:115-24.
29. Huang Q, Dunn RT, Jayadev S, DiSorbo O, Pack FD, Farr SB, et al. Assessment of cisplatin induced nephrotoxocity by microarray technology. Toxicol Sci 2001;63:196-207.
30. Sahu BD, Kumar JM, Sistla R. Baicalein, a bioflavonoid, prevents cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury by up-regulating antioxidant defenses and down-regulating the MAPKs and NF-ÎºB pathways. PLoS One 2015;10:1-19.
31. Praharsheta AM, Samuel V, Nirmala P. Role of ebselen, a selenoorgano compound in cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity in wistar rats. Int J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:57-9.
32. Mondi S, Kvsrg P, Jhansi D, Vijay R. Prophylactic and curative effect of ethanolic extract of bassia malabarica bark against cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:143-6.
33. Rhayem Y, ThÃ©rond P, Camont L, Couturier M, Beaudeux JL, Legrand A, et al. Chain-breaking activity of resveratrol and piceatannol in a linoleate micellar model. Chem Phys Lipids 2008;155:48-56.
34. Woo A, Min B, Ryoo S. Piceatannol-3'-O-Î²-D-glucopyranoside as an active component of rhubarb activates endothelial nitric oxide synthase through inhibition of arginase activity. Exp Mol Med 2010;42:524-32.
35. Abraham E. Nuclear factor-ðœ…B and its role in sepsis-associated organ failure. J Infect Dis 2003;187 Suppl 2:364â€“9.
36. Oh GS, Kim HJ, Shen AH, Lee SB, Yang SH, Shim H, et al. New therapeutic concept of NAD redox balance for cisplatin nephrotoxicity. Biomed Res Int 2016;1:1-12.
37. Jin CY, Moon DO, Lee KJ, Kim MO, Lee JD, Choi YH. Piceatannol attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced NF-kappaB activation and NF-kappaB-related proinflammatory mediators in BV2 microglia. Pharmacol Res 2006;54:461-7.