FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF PROCHLORPERAZINE MALEATE SUSTAINED RELEASE FLOATING TABLET
Objective: The objective of this study was to formulate once daily sustained oral release floating tablet of prochlorperazine maleate, this floating tablet has many advantages like reduction in dosing frequency, increase bioavailability, enhance patient compliance, and improve drug solubility.
Methods: The prochlorperazine maleate floating tablets were formulated by using hydrophilic swellable polymer and gas generating agent. In this study, 15 formulas were prepared with many variables in order to achieve an optimum dissolution and floating behaviour for the floating tablet. The all prepared formulas were tested for bulk density, tap density, angle of repose, Carr's Index, thickness, weight variation, hardness, friability, drug content, in vitro dissolution test, in vitro buoyancy, and swelling index.
Results: Formula (F2) that contain 55% (w/w) hydroxypropyl methylcellulose k4M (HPMCK4M), 5 % (w/w) sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) have acceptable flow properties and compressibility index and good physical properties with floating lag time (16Â±0.57) seconds and total floating time (32Â±0.29) h with 100% release of prochlorperazine maleate at the end of 24 h. Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) study of optimum formula (F2) showed no chemical interaction between the drug and the excipients that used in the formula.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that that the selected formula (F2) can be a promising formula for the preparation of gastro retentive floating drug delivery systems of prochlorperazine maleate.
2. Meenakshi B, Santosh K, Annapurna O. Floating drug delivery system: a review. J Drug Delivery Ther 2014;4:130-4.
3. Ugurlu T, Karacgcek U. An overview on gastro retentive drug delivery systems. J Med Pharm Innovation 2014;1:5-11.
4. Shilpa BC, Vishnu P, Babu KN, Umamaheshwararao V, Sriyanka KS, Sravanii T. A brief review on floating drug delivery system. South Pacific J Pharma Bio Sci 2014;2:137-53.
5. Dwivedi S, Kumar V. Floating drug delivery systems a concept of gastro retention dosages form. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2011;2:1414-26.
6. Patil KK, Saptarshi D. A review on floating drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;21:276-83.
7. Narang N. An updated review on: floating drug delivery system (FDDS). Int J Appl Pharm 2011;3:1-7.
8. Sadiq AAK, Altaii RAJ, Tawfiq FA. Floating drug delivery systems using metronidazole as a model drug part i: by the effervescent method. Al-mustansiriyah. J Pharm Sci 2013;13:36-46.
9. Amit JK, Rammulrajsinh R, Sonali D, Kinal P, Pradeep A. Hydrodynamically balanced systems (HBS): the innovative approach of gastro retention: a review. Int J PharmTech Res 2011;3:1495-508.
10. Badshah A, Subhan F, Shah NH, Bukhari NI, Saeed M, Shah KU. Once daily controlled release matrix tablet of prochlorperazine maleate: influence of ethocelÂ® and/or methocelÂ® on in vitro drug release and bioavailability. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2012;38:190â€“9.
11. Rakesh K, Srilatha S, Srinivas N. Formulation and evaluation of prochlorperazine maleate oral dispersible tablets. Int J Adv Pharm Sci 2014;5:2472-7.
12. Madhuri KSN, Suresh SNV, Rao MS. Formulation and evaluation of extended release floating tablets of lamivudine employing different grades of HPMC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:7016-20.
13. Rahi FA, Thomas LM. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive antimicrobial vaginal tablets of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride. Al-mustansiriyah. J Pharm Sci 2012;12:200-13.
14. Elbary AA, Ramadan AA, Bendas IR, Mostafa DAE. Formulation and evaluation of taste masked rapidly disintegration tablet containing flupentixol dihydro chloride. Int J Pharm 2011;2:58-64.
15. Kumar S, Das M, Gupta KS, Kumar R, Chongdar A, Ghosh LK. Design, development, optimisation and evaluation of gastro-retentive floating tablets of atenolol. Scholars Res Library 2013;5:436-56.
16. Singh S, Prajapati K, Pathak AK, Mishra A. Formulation and evaluation of floating tablet of captopril. Int J PharmTech Res 2011;3:333-41.
17. Sharma VK. Meloxicam loaded floating sustained release matrix tablet. J Adv Pharm Edu Res 2012;2:18-24.
18. Allen, Loyd V, Popovich, Nicholas G, Ansel, Howard C. Ansel's pharmaceutical dosage forms and drug delivery systems. Ninth Edition. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2011.
19. Kavitha K, Puneeth KP, Tamizh Mani T. Development and evaluation of rosiglitazone maleate floating tablets. Int J Appl Pharm 2010;2:6-10.
20. Rao RK, Lakshmi R. Design, development and evaluation of clopidogrel bisulfate floating tablets. Int J Pharm Invest 2014;4:19-26.
21. Marie NK, Mohsen M, Neama M, Zuwar N. Few factors affecting the buoyancy and release of theophylline anhydrous from the hydrodynamically balanced delivery system. Int J Sci Technol 2011;6:85-96.
22. Reddy MNK, Hussain MA, Rao TR, Kishna TR, Pavani V. Formulation and evaluation of naproxen oral disintegrating tablets. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2012;2:303-16.
23. Amit P, Kumar JS, Harishanker P, Tarkeshwar S, Arpit S. Formulation development and evaluation of famotidine floating tablet. Int J Sci Technol 2010;4:224-9.
24. Narang N. An updated review on: floating drug delivery (FDDS). Int J Appl Pharm 2011;3:1-7.
25. Srilakshmi P, Koushik KN, Raju SD, Rao RN, Prasanna LJ, Deepthi B. Formulation and evaluation of gastro retentive floating tablets of an antipsychotic drug. Am J PharmTech Res 2014;4:470-6.
26. Iftequar S, Saifee M, Swaroop L, Zaheer Z, Meraj S, khan F, et al. Formulation and evaluation of floating drug delivery system of ramipril. J Innovations Pharm Biol Sci 2016;3:85-95.
27. Lakshmi AP, Kumar GA, Reddy TK, Kumar MA. Development and in-vitro evaluation of gastro retentive verapamil Hcl floating tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:360-3.
28. Toma NM, Khalil YI. Formulation and evaluation of bilayer tablets containing immediate release aspirin layer and floating clopidogrel layer. Iraqi J Pharm Sci 2013;22:40-9.
29. Krishnarajan D, Manivannan R, Nidhin C, Senthilkmar N. Design and characterisation of floating tablets of ranolazine. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:268-72.
30. Rahman M, Roy S, Das SC, Jha MK, Begum T, Ahsan Q, et al. Evaluation of various grades of hydroxypropylmethylcellulose matrix systems as oral sustained release drug delivery systems. J Pharm Sci Res 2011;3:930-8.
31. Nicole K, Owen IC. Swelling and erosion properties of hydroxypropyl-methylcellulose (Hypromellose) matricesâ€”inï¬‚uence of agitation rate and dissolution medium composition. Int J Pharm 2004;279:141-52.
32. Soniya C, Manojkumar P, Gorakhnath H, Audmbar M, Santosh J. Formulation and evaluation of floating tablets of nizatidine. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2015;6:290-8.
33. Tukaram NB, Rajagopalan LV, Shartchandra PSI. The effects of lactose, microcrystalline cellulose and dicalcium phosphate on swelling and erosion of compressed HPMC matrix tablets: texture analyser. Iranian J Pharm Res 2010;9:349-58.
34. Shirsand SB, Suresh S, Para MS, Swamy PV. The design of fast disintegrating tablets of prochlorperazine maleate by effervescence method. Indian J Pharm Sci 2009;71:447â€“51.