FOLIC ACID-CONJUGATED DOXORUBICIN-LOADED PHOTOSENSITIZING MANGANESE FERRITE NANOPARTICLES: SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION AND ANTICANCER ACTIVITY AGAINST HUMAN CERVICAL CARCINOMA CELL LINE (HELA)
Objective: On account of several complications and adverse effects associated with the use of conventional chemotherapeutic regimen, the advanced drug-targeted therapies have gained the remarkable attention of the researchers due to their fabulous pharmaceutical and therapeutic advantages. The present study was designed with the aim to synthesize manganese ferrite nanoparticles (MnFe2O4 NPs) and folic acid-conjugated doxorubicin (DOX)-loaded manganese ferrite bovine serum albumin NPs (FA-BSA-DOX-MnFe2O4 NPs) using desolvation cross-linking method.
Methods: Having assessed their physicochemical characteristics, the prepared NPs were evaluated for hem compatibility, photo-mediated cytotoxicity, and anti-cancer potential against human cervical carcinoma cell line (HeLa) using a range of in vitro assays which include hemolysis assay, sulforhodamine B (SRB) and MTT assays.
Results: Spectroscopic characterization revealed that MnFe2O4 NPs were spherical with an average size diameter of approx. 15 nm and a band gap of 1.4 eV. Another remarkable feature of FA-BSA-DOX conjugated MnFe2O4 NPs was high entrapment efficiency (approx. 95%). MTT assay demonstrated that MnFe2O4 NPs revealed potential photosensitizing ability upon exposure to sunlight. FA-BSA-DOX conjugated MnFe2O4 NPs showed promising cytotoxicity against human cervical epithelial malignant carcinoma cell line (HeLa). Interestingly, the cytotoxicity of these NPs was gradually increased with time of exposure to sunlight.Conclusion: These findings suggested that FA-BSA-DOX conjugated MnFe2O4NPs exhibit promising photosensitizing and anticancer potential against human cervical carcinoma and thus can be considered as an alternative targeted therapy against human cervical cancer.
2. Vijay M, Anu Y. Anticancer activity of camellia Sinensis mediated copper nanoparticles against HT-29, MCF-7, and MOLT-4 human cancer cell lines. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:82-8.
3. Lv R, Yang P, He F. A yolk-like multifunctional platform for multimodal imaging and synergistic therapy triggered by a single near-infrared light. ACS Nano 2015;9:1630-47.
4. Fang W, Yang J, Gong J, Zheng N. Photo-and pH-triggered release of anticancer drugs from mesoporous silica-coated Pd/Ag nanoparticles. Adv Funct Mater 2011;22:842-8.
5. Bano S, Nazir S, Munir S, Al Ajmi MF, Afzal M, Mazhar K. â€œSmart" nickel oxide based core-shell nanoparticles for combined chemo and photodynamic cancer therapy. Int J Nanomed 2016;12:3159-66.
6. Pankhurst QA, Thanh SQ, Jones SK, Dobson J. Progress in applications of magnetic nanoparticles in biomedicine. J Phys D Appl Phys 2009;42:1088-109.
7. Lee JH, Huh YM, Jun YW, Seo JW, Jang JT, Song HT, et al. Artificially engineered magnetic nanoparticles for ultra-sensitive molecular imaging. Nat Med 2007;13:95-9.
8. Lattuada M, Hatton TA. Functionalization of monodisperse magnetic nanoparticles. Langmuir 2007;23:2158-68.
9. Sanchez R, Sarry JE, Murphy K, Perry R, Secreto A, Keefer C, et al. Human acute myelogenous leukemia stem cells are rare and heterogeneous when assayed in NOD/SCID/IL2RÎ³c-deficient mice. J Clin Invest 2011;121:384-95.
10. Rupa Y, Makiful P, Haque R, Sireesha D, Vasudha B, Harshini S. Method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of doxycycline and ornidazole in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form by using the RP-HPLC method. Int J Med Nanotechnol: Medtechnano 2014;1:179-85.
11. Bellare J, Banerjee R, Das S. Aspirin loaded albumin nanoparticles by coacervation: implications in drug delivery. Trends Biochem 2005;18:203-11.
12. Hu H, Zhou H, Du J, Wang Z, Ann L, Yang H, et al. Biocompatible hollow silica microspheres as novel ultrasound contrast agents for in vivo imaging. J Mater Chem 2011;21:6576-83.
13. Skehan P, Storeng R, Scudiero D, Monks A, McMahon J, Vistica D, et al. New colorimetric cytotoxicity assay for anticancer-drug screening. J Natl Cancer Inst 1990;82:1107-12.
14. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65:55-63.
15. Yang H, Zhang C, Shi X, Hu H, Du X, Fang Y, et al. Water-soluble superparamagnetic manganese ferrite nanoparticles for magnetic resonance imaging. Biomaterials 2012;31:3667-73.
16. Goodarzi AA, Jonnalagadda JC, Pauline D, David Y, Ruiqiong Y, Greg BG, et al. Autophosphorylation of ataxia-telangiectasia mutated is regulated by protein phosphatase 2A. EMBO J 2004;23:4451-61.
17. Cheraghipour E, Javadpour S, Mehdizadeh AR. Citrate-capped superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles used for hyperthermia therapy. J Biomed Sci Eng 2012;5:715-9.
18. Lattuada M, Hatton TA. Functionalization of monodisperse magnetic nanoparticles. Langmuir 2007;23:2158-68.
19. Arooj S, Nazir S, Nadhman A, Ahmad N, Muhammad B, Ahmad I, et al. Novel ZnO: Ag nanocomposites induce significant oxidative stress in human fibroblast malignant melanoma (Ht144) cells. Beilstein J Nanotechnol 2015;26:570-82.
20. Koyama T, Ito Y, Yoshida K, Tsuji M, Ago H, Kishida H, et al. Near-infrared photoluminescence in the femtosecond time region in monolayer graphene on SiOâ‚‚. ACS Nano 2013;7:2335-43.
21. Choi J, Reipa V, Hitchins VM, Goering PL, Malinauskas RA. Physicochemical characterization and in vitro hemolysis evaluation of silver nanoparticles. Toxicol Sci 2011;123:133-43.
22. Mocan T. Hemolysis as an expression of nanoparticles-induced cytotoxicity in red blood cells. BMBN 2013;1:2330-45.
23. Arooj F, Ahmad N, Muhammad N. Pilot scale application of ozone to bleach raw cotton fabric using various additives. Ozone Sci Eng 2014;92:111-4.
24. Zamfirescu R, Tiberiu CS, Iulian G, Monica P, Alexandru S. Refining climate change projections for organisms with low dispersal abilities: a case study of the caspian whipsnake. PLoS One 2014;13:234-42.
25. Chen X, Mao SS. Titanium dioxide nanomaterials: synthesis, properties, modifications, and applications. Chem Rev 2007;107:2891-959.
26. Ozben T. Oxidative stress and apoptosis: Impact on cancer therapy. J Pharm Sci 2007;96:2181-96.
27. Namasivayam SKR, Robin ATG. Preparation, optimization and characterization of biocompatible nano albumin-ofloxacin (bsanp-of) conjugate and evaluation of control release, antibacterial activity against a clinical isolate of pseudomonas aeruginosa. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:235-9.
28. Rahimnejad MM, Jahanshahi M, Najafpour GD. Production of biological nanoparticles from bovine serum albumin for drug delivery. Afr J Biotechnol 2006;5:134-52.
29. Xiaolan Q, Chang Y, Jing Z, Nan D, Yao L, Lei H. In vitro evaluation of a folate-bovine serum albumin-doxorubicin conjugate. J Drug Target 2010;18:351-61.
30. Yang R, Yan L, Feng QM, Meng FL, Dang L, Sha T. Preparation of folic acid-conjugated, doxorubicin-loaded, magnetic bovine serum albumin nanospheres and their antitumor effects in vitro and in vivo. Int J Nanomed 2014;9:4231-43.