EFFECT OF EXTRACTS AQUEOUS OF PHRAGMITES AUSTRALIS ON CARBOHYDRATE METABOLISM, SOME ENZYME ACTIVITIES AND PANCREATIC ISLET TISSUE IN ALLOXAN-INDUCED DIABETIC RATS
Objective: The present study was aimed to investigate the effects of the aqueous extract of rhizome of phragmites australis on carbohydrate metabolism, some enzyme activities and pancreatic tissue in alloxan induced diabetic rats.
Methods: Wistar rats were divided into three groups (n=6) as control, diabetic group and test groups (Diabetic+AEPA). Diabetes in rats was induced by alloxane using a single peritoneal injection of 150 mg/kg dose. Aqueous extract of Phragmites australis was supplemented (200 mg/kg b. w) orally for three weeks. The aqueous extract of Phragmites australis was prepared and phytochemical were analyzed by using standard methods. Blood glucose level, pancreas histology and various biochemical parameters were assessed.
Results: The results of the phytochemical analysis of aqueous extract of Phragmites australis (AEPA) revealed the presence of tannin, terpenoids, glycosides and flavonoids. Compared with the control, a significant decrease in the body weight gain (p<0.01) and increase in food intake (p<0.001) were noticed in the diabetic group. The biochemical evaluation showed significantly higher values for glucose (p<0.001), lipid profile (p<0.05), transaminases (p<0.05), amylase and alkaline phosphatase (p<0.001) activities in diabetic group compared with the control. Histology of the pancreas showed congestion of vessels and focal area of necrosis in diabetic untreated rats. However, treatment with aqueous extract of Phragmites australis significantly normalized blood glucose, serum biochemical profile and pancreas histomorphology.
Conclusion: It is suggested that aqueous extract of Phragmites australis exhibits a benefic effect in rat to a great extent in attenuating and restoring the damage sustained by diabetes.
2. American Diabetes Association. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2009;32:62â€“7.
3. Huang THW, Peng G, Kota BP, Li GQ, Yamahara J, Roufogalis BD, et al. the Anti-diabetic action of Punica granatum flower extract: activation of PPAR-gamma and identification of an active component. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2005;207:160-9.
4. Grossman A, Johannsson G, Quinkler M, Zelissen P. Therapy of endocrine disease: Perspectives on the management of adrenal insufficiency: clinical insights from across Europe. Eur J Endocrinol 2013;169:165-75.
5. Mohammad HF, Ghodratollah N, Nassim L, SMH, Mehran H. Effects of aqueous extract of turnip leaf (Brassica rapa) in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Avicenna J Phytomed 2015;5:148â€“56.
6. Kesari AN, Gupta RK, Watal G. Hypoglycemic effects of Murra yakoenigii on normal and alloxan diabetic rabbits. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;11:223-31.
7. Bailey LJ, Day C. Traditional plant medicine as a treatment for diabetes. Diabetes Care 1989;12:553-64.
8. Gowri K, E lanchezhiyan C, Hemalatha S, Sartaj AA, Shoba V, Suhasini S, et al. Effect of Naringi crenulata extract on histopathological changes in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Asian J Sci Technol 2013;4:136-9.
9. Mamta A, Parminder K. Phytochemical screening of orange peel and pulp. Int J Res Eng Technol 2013;2:517-22.
10. Sasidharan S, Chen Y, Saravanan D, Sundram KM, Yoga LL. Extraction, isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds from plantsâ€™ extracts. Afr J Tradit Complementary Altern Med 2011;8:1-10.
11. Usman H, Abdulrahman FI, Usman A. Qualitative phytochemical screening and in vitro antimicrobial effects of methanol stem bark extract of Ficus thonningii (Moraceae). Afr J Tradit Complementary Altern Med 2009;6:289-95.
12. Derouiche S, Kechrid Z. Zinc supplementation overcomes effects of copper on zinc Status, carbohydrate metabolism and some enzyme activities in diabetic and non-diabetic rats. Can J Diabetes 2016;40:342-7.
13. Taiye RF, Blessing U, Ademola A, Oyagbemi T, Olutayo O, Temitayo OA. Antidiabetic and antioxidant effects of Croton lobatus L. in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 2016;5:364-71.
14. Friedwald TW, Fredrickson DS, Levy RJ. LDL-cholesterol estimation. Clin Chem 1972;18:499-501.
15. Aziz FM. Protective effects of the latex of Ficuscarica L. against lead acetate-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Jordan J Biol Sci 2012;5:175-82.
16. Derouiche S, Djermoune M, Abbas K. Beneficial effect of zinc on diabetes induced kidney damage and liver stress oxidative in rats. J Adv Biol 2017;10:2050-5.
17. Naziroglu M, Butterworth J, Sonmez T. Dietary vitamin C and E modulates antioxidants levels in blood, brain, liver, muscle, testes in diabetic aged rats. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 2011;81:347-57.
18. Barry EL, Deborah JC. Overweight and the metabolic syndrome. Springer 2006;26:83-103.
19. Mukherjee PK, Maiti K, Mukherjee K, Houghton PJ. Leads from Indian medicinal plants with hypoglycemic potentials. J Ethnopharmacol 2006;106:1-28.
20. Hikino H, Ishiyama M, Suzuki Y, Konno C. Mechanisms of hypoglycemic activity of Ganoderan B: a glycan of Ganoderma lucidum fruit bodies. Planta Med 1989;55:423-8.
21. Sakai N, Inada K, Okamoto M, Shizuri Y, Fukuyama Y, Portuloside A. A monoterpene glucoside, from Portulaca oleracea. Phytochem 1996;42:1625-31.
22. Peksel A, Arisan I, Yanarda G. Antioxidant activities of aqueous extracts of purslane (Portulaca oleracea Subsp. Sativa L.). Ital J Food Sci 2006;3:295-308.
23. Dwivedi C, Daspaul S. Antidiabetic herbal drugs and polyherbal formulation used for diabetes: a review. J Phytopharmacol 2013;2:1-7.
24. Imran M, Khan H, Shah M, Khan R, Khan F. Chemical composition and antioxidant activity of certain Morus species. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B (Biomed and Biotechnol) 2010;11:973-80.
25. Palsamy P, Subramanian S. Resveratrol a natural phytoalexin, normalizes hyperglycemia in streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced experimental diabetic rats. Biomed Pharmacother 2008;62:598-605.
26. Krishnaswami V. Treatment of dyslipidemia in patients with type 2 diabetes. Lipids Health Dis 2010;9:144-56.
27. RodiÃ±o-Janeiro BK, GonzÃ¡lez-Peteiro M, Ucieda-Somoza R, GonzÃ¡lez-Juanatey JR, Alvarez E. Glycated albumin, a precursor of advanced glycation end-products, upregulates NADPH oxidase and enhances oxidative stress in human endothelial cells: a molecular correlate of diabetic vasculopathy. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2010;26:550-8.
28. Gregus Z, Fekete T, HalÃ¡szi E, Klaassen CD. Lipoic acid impairs glycine conjugation of benzoic acid and renal excretion of benzoyl glycine. Drug Metab Dispos 1996;24:682-8.
29. Sharma SB, Nasir A, Prabhu KM, Murthy PS. Antihyperglycemic effect of the fruit pulp of Eugenia jambolana in experimental diabetes mellitus. J Ethnopharmacol 2006;104:367â€“73.
30. Ravi K, Rajasekaran S, Subramanian S. Antihyperlipidemic effect of Eugenia jambolana seed kernel on streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2005;43:1433-9.
31. Khanna K, Rizvi F, Chander R. Lipid lowering activity of Phyllanthus niruri in hyperlipidemic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2002;82:19-22.
32. Mc Carty MF. Inhibition of acetyl-CoA carboxylase by cystamine may mediate the hypotriglyceridemic activity of pantetheine. â€ŽMed Hypotheses 2001;56:314-7.
33. Hsueh CJ, Wang JH, Dai L, Liu CC. Determination of alanine aminotransferase with an electrochemical nano Ir-C biosensor for the screening of liver diseases. Biosens 2011;1:107-17.
34. Kechrid Z, EL-Hadjla D, Naima L. The beneficial effect of vitamin E supplementation on zinc status, carbohydrate metabolism, transaminases and alkaline phosphatase activities in alloxan-diabetic rats fed on zinc deficiency diet. Int J Diab Metab 2007;15:46â€“50.
35. Derouiche S, Abbas K, Djermoune M, Ben Amara S, Kechrid Z. The effects of copper supplement on zinc status, enzymes of zinc activities and antioxidant status in alloxan induced diabetic rats fed on zinc overdose diet. Int J Nutr Metab 2013;5:82-7.
36. Sharma B, Salunke R, Balomajumder C, Daniel S, Roy P. Antidiabetic potential of alkaloid-rich fraction from Capparis decidua on diabetic mice. J Ethnopharmacol 2010;127:457-62.
37. Modak MA, Parab PB, Ghaskadbi SS. Control of hyperglycemia significantly improves oxidative stress profile of pancreatic islets. Islets 2011;3:234-40.
38. Derouiche S, Djouadi A. An evaluation of stress oxidative and serum electrolytes in female hypothyroid patients. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;6:17-26.