EXTRACTION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF GELATIN: A FUNCTIONAL BIOPOLYMER
Objective: Gelatin is widely used biopolymer in various industries due to its excellent biocompatibility, biodegradability properties. In the present study, gelatin was extracted from fish wastes, as an alternative source.
Methods: This biopolymer was extracted from the scales of freshwater fish, Labeo rohita. After extraction, the proximate analysis and physico-chemical analysis of the fish scale gelatin were carried out. This functional polymer was also characterized using different analytical methods, such as UV-vis spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and X-ray diffraction (XRD) for the evaluation of crystalline and surface morphology, and fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) for structural determination.
Results: The scales of L. rohita yield 24% (dry weight basis) of gelatin, indicating this fish species as potential source of gelatin. The proximate analysis determined was low moisture content (4.2%), ash (1.4%) and high protein (90%) content. The result of the study confirms the effectiveness of extraction method used.Conclusion: The fish scales of L. rohita are found to be a sustainable and renewable source of gelatin with desirable functionalities and it is the best alternative for mammalian gelatin in food and other industries.
2. Shyni K, Hema GS, Ninan G, Mathew S, Joshy CG, Lakshmanan PT. Isolation and characterization of gelatin from the skins of skipjack tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis), dog shark (Scoliodon sorrakowah), and rohu (Labeo rohita). Food Hydrocolloid 2014;39:68â€“76.
3. Marfil PH, Anhe AC, Telis VR. Texture and microstructure of gelatin/corn starch-based gummy confections. Food Biophys 2012;7:236â€“43.
4. Bessho M, Furuta M, Kojima T, Okuda S, Hara M. Gelatin hydrogels cross-linked by c-ray irradiation: materials for absorption and release of dye. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 2005;16:715â€“24.
5. Wangtueai S, Noomhorm A. Processing optimization and characterization of gelatin from lizardfish (Saurida spp.) scales. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2009;42:825â€“34.
6. Karim AA, Bhat R. Fish gelatin: properties, challenges, and prospects as an alternative to mammalian gelatins. Food Hydrocolloid 2009;23:563â€“76.
7. GÃ³mez-Guillen MC, Ihl M, Bifani V, Silva A, Montero P. Edible films made from tuna-fish gelatin with antioxidant extracts of two different murta ecotypes leaves. Food Hydrocolloid 2007;21:1133â€“43.
8. Baziwane D, He Q. Gelatin: the paramount food additive. Food Rev Int 2003;19:423â€“35.
9. Ruri Widyasari, Saroat Rawdkuen. Extraction and characterization of gelatin from chicken feet by acid and ultrasound assisted extraction. Food Appl Biosci J 2014;2:85â€“97.
10. Jamilah B, Harvinder KG. Properties of gelatins from skins of fishâ€“black tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) and red tilapia (Oreochromis nilotica). J Food Chem 2002;77:81â€“4.
11. Mejia-Saules JM, Waliszewski KN, Garcia MA, Cruz-Camarillo R. The use of crude shrimp shell powder for chitinase production by Serratia marcescens WF. Food Technol Biotechnol 2006;44:646â€“51.
12. Gildberg A, Stenberg EA. Utilisation of male arctic capelin and atlantic cod intestines for fish sauce production--evaluation of fermentation conditions. Process Biochem 2001;36:809â€“12.
13. Salamiah Zakaria, Nurul Hidayah, Abu Bakar. Extraction and characterization of gelatin from black telapia (Oreochromis niloticus) scales and bones. ICASETNR-15, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia; 2015.
14. Mehmet Tolga DinÃ§er, Ozlem YeÅŸim AgÃ§ay, HÃ¼lya Sargin, Huriye Bayram. Functional properties of gelatin recovered from scales of farmed sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Turk J Vet Anim Sci 2015;39:102â€“9.
15. Kaewruang P, Benjakul S, Prodpran T, Nalinanon S. Physicochemical and functional properties of gelatin from the skin of unicorn leatherjacket (Aluterus monoceros) as affected by extraction conditions. Food Biosci 2013;2:1â€“9.
16. Iran national standards, Gelatin Quality Test Methods; 1994. p. 3474, 1â€“8.
17. AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 17th Ed; 2000.
18. Choi SS, Regenstein JM. Physichochemical and sensory characteristics of fish gelatin. J Food Sci 2000;65:194â€“9.
19. Muyonga JH, Cole CGB, Duodu KG. Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopic study of acid soluble collagen and gelatin from skins and bones of young and adult Nile perch (Lates niloticus). Food Chem 2004;86:325â€“32.
20. Gelatin Manufacturers of Europe. Standardised methods for the testing of edible gelatine. In Gelatine monograph. 4, Avenue E. Van Nieuwenhuyse, B-1160 Bruxelles; 2005. p. 104.
21. Jones NR. Uses of gelatin in edible products. In: Ward AG, Courts A. Eds. The science and technology of gelatin. New York: Academic Press; 1977. p. 366â€“95.
22. Sandra Hermanto, La Ode Sumarlin, Widya Fatimah. Differentiation of bovine and porcine gelatin based on spectroscopic and electrophoretic analysis. J Food Pharm Sci 2013;1:68â€“73.
23. Kong J, Yu S. Fourier transform infrared spectroscopic analysis of protein secondary structures. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin 2007;39:549â€“59.
24. Nur Hanani ZA, Roos YH, Kerry JP. Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopic analysis of biodegradable gelatin films immersed in water. International Congress on Engineering and Food, Proceedings; 2011.
25. Suneeta kumari, Rath P, Sri Hari Kumar A. Chitosan from shrimp shell (crangon crangon) and fish scales (Labeo rohita) extraction and characterization. Afr J Biotechnol 2016;15:1258â€“68.
26. Hoque MS, Benjakul S, Prodpran T. Effect of heat treatment of film-forming solution on the properties of film from cuttlefish (Sepia pharaonis) skin gelatin. J Food Eng 2010;96:66â€“73.
27. Bergo P, Sobral PJA. Effects of platicizer on physical properties of pigskin gelatin films. Food Hydrocolloid 2007;21:1285â€“9.
28. Jakir Hossana Md, Gafurb MA, Kadirb MR, Mohammad Mainul Karima. Preparation and characterization of gelatin hydroxyapatite composite for bone tissue engineering. Int J Eng Technol 2014u;14:24â€“32.
29. Yakimets I, Wellner N, Smith A, Wilson R, Farhat I, Mitchell J. Mechanical properties with respect to water content of gelatin films in glassy state. Polymer 2005;46:12577â€“85.
30. Pena C, de la Caba K, Eceiza A, Ruseckaite R, Mondragon I. Enhancing water repellence and mechanical properties of gelatin films by tannin addition. Bioresour Technol 2010;101:6836â€“42.