V. NEGUNDO, L. CAMARA AND B. VARIEGATA PLANTS LEAF EXTRACT EXHIBIT CONSIDERABLE IN VITRO ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTICANCER ACTIVITIES
Objective: The study was planned to investigate antioxidant and anticancer activities with the preliminary phytochemical analysis of methanolic extracts of Vitex negundo (V. negundo), Lantana camara (L. camara) and Bauhania variegata (B. variegata) plants leaf extracts.
Methods: Phytochemical evaluation was performed for all the extracts, as per the standard methods. In vitro antioxidant activities were performed by using DPPH (2,2-Diphenyl-1-Picrylhydrazyl), ABTS (2,Â 2'-Azino-Bis-3-Ethylbenzothiazoline-6-SulfonicÂ Acid) and FRAP (Ferric reducing antioxidant power assay) method and compared with standard antioxidants. The anticancer activity of plant extract was assessed using MTT colorimetric assay.
Results: The study of preliminary phytochemical proved the existence of alkaloids, flavonoids and phenolic types of phytochemicals in high amount. Methanolic extract of L. camara shows minimum IC50 value for DPPH assay (48.75Â±2.34 Âµg/ml) and FRAP assay (274.66Â±3.65 Âµg/ml). In ABTS assay B. variegata extract exhibit minimum IC50 value (60.48Â±3.01 Âµg/ml). Lower the IC50 value of extract, higher the effectiveness of the plant. Methanolic extract of all plants methanolic extracts showed anticancer activity against SH-SY-5Y cells (human neuroblastoma cell) but V. negundo was more effective against SH-SY-5Y cells with IC50 value (209 Âµg/ml) compared to remaining extracts.
Conclusion: The current finding accomplished the in vitro activities, so that plant could be a superior source of antioxidant and anticancer drugs. But further in vivo assessment was needed before adding it into the pharma industry.
2. Pandey AK, Kumar S. Antioxidant, lipo-protective and antibacterial activities of phytoconstituents present in Solanum xanthocarpum root. Int Rev Biophysical Chem 2012;3:42-7.
3. Rice-Evans C. Flavonoids and isoflavones: absorption, metabolism, and bioactivity. Free Radical Biol Med 2004; 36:827-8.
4. Dave R. In vitro models for antioxidant activity evaluation and some medicinal plants possessing antioxidant properties: an overview. Afr J Microbiol Res 2009;3:981-96.
5. Cuzzocrea S, Riley DP, Caputi AP, Salvemini D. Antioxidant therapy: a new pharmacological approach in shock, inflammation, and ischemia/reperfusion injury. Pharmacol Rev 2001;53:135-59.
6. Kaufmann SH, Earnshaw WC. Induction of apoptosis by cancer chemotherapy. Exp Cell Res 2000;256:42-9.
7. Verma M, Singh SK, Bhushan S, Sharma V, Datt P, Kapahi B, et al. In vitro cytotoxic potential of Polyalthia longifolia on human cancer cell lines and induction of apoptosis through mitochondrial-dependent pathway in HL-60 cells. Chem Biol Interact 2008;171:45-56.
8. Aisha AF, Nassar ZD, Siddiqui MJ, Abu-Salah KM, Alrokayan SA, Ismail Z, et al. Evaluation of antiangiogenic, cytotoxic and antioxidant effects of Syzygium aromaticum L. extracts. Asian J Biol Sci 2011;4:282-90.
9. Patel J, Shah S, Deshpande S, Shah G. Evaluation of the antiasthmatic activity of leaves of Vitex negundo. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2009;5:81-6.
10. Tiwari OP, Tripathi YB. Antioxidant properties of different fractions of Vitex negundo Linn. Food Chem 2007;100:1170-6.
11. Basu S, Hazra B. Evaluation of nitric oxide scavenging activity, in vitro and ex vivo, of selected medicinal plants traditionally used in inflammatory diseases. Phytother Res 2006;20:896-900.
12. Valko M, Izakovic M, Mazur M, Rhodes CJ, Telser J. Role of oxygen radicals in DNA damage and cancer incidence. Mol Cell Biochem 2004;266:37-56.
13. Bondet V, Brand-Williams W, Berset C. Kinetics and mechanisms of antioxidant activity using the DPPH free radical method. LWT-Food Sci Technol 199;30:609-15.
14. Hussain M, Ghani A. Herbal remidies used for gastrointestinal disorders in Kaghan valley, NWFP, Pakistan. Pak J Weed Sci Res 2008;14:169-200.
15. Rao YK, Fang SH, Tzeng YM. Antiinflammatory activities of flavonoids and a triterpene caffeate isolated from Bauhinia variegata. Phytother Res 2008;22:957-62.
16. Mishra AK, Mishra A, Kehri H, Sharma B, Pandey AK. Inhibitory activity of Indian spice plant Cinnamomum zeylanicum extracts against Alternaria solani and Curvularia lunata, the pathogenic dematiaceous moulds. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 2009;8:1.
17. Arnao MB, Cano A, Acosta M. The hydrophilic and lipophilic contribution to total antioxidant activity. Food Chem 2001; 73:239-44.
18. Yusufoglu HS, Soliman GA, Abdel-Rahman RF, Abdel-Kader MS, Genaie MA, Bedir E. Antioxidant and antihyperglycemic effects of Ferula drudeana and Ferula huber-morathii in experimental diabetic rats. Int J Clin Pharmacol 2015;11:738-48.
19. Denizot F, Lang R. Rapid colorimetric assay for cell growth and survival: modifications to the tetrazolium dye procedure giving improved sensitivity and reliability. J Immunol Methods 1986;89:271-7.
20. Sowndhararajan K, Kang SC. Free radical scavenging activity from different extracts of leaves of Bauhinia vahlii Wight and Arn. Saudi J Biol Sci 2013;20:319-25.
21. Heinrich M, Bremner P. Ethnobotany and ethnopharmacy-their role for anti-cancer drug development. Curr Drug Targets 2006;7:239-45.
22. Havsteen BH. The biochemistry and medical significance of the flavonoids. Pharmacol Ther 2002;96:67-202.
23. Khatua S, Roy T, Acharya K. Antioxidant and free radicalscavenging capacity of phenolic extract from Russula laurocerasi. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:156-60.
24. Paloi S, Acharya K. Evaluation of antioxidative activity and chemicalcomposition of ethanolic extract from Amanita vaginata (Bull.) La. m.: an in vitro study. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:88-92.
25. B Usha, KC Pushpalatha. In vitro antioxidant activity and phytochemical screening of leaf extracts of grewia heterotricha mast. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8:68-72.
26. Rajkumar V, Guha G, Kumar RA, Mathew L. Evaluation of antioxidant activities of Bergenia ciliata rhizome. Rec Nat Prod 2010;4:38-48.
27. Nanjo F, Goto K, Seto R, Suzuki M, Sakai M, Hara Y. Scavenging effects of tea catechins and their derivatives on 1, 1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical. Free Radic Biol Med 1996;21:895-902.
28. Rawri R, Bharathi K, Jayaveera K, Asdaq S. In vitro antioxidant profile of alcoholic extract of Coccinia grandis leaves. Int J Pharm Technol 2013;5:5434-40.
29. Kala SMJ. HPTLC finger print analysis of phytocompounds and in vitro antioxidant activity of Eugenia singampattiana Bedd. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:112.
30. Kumar S, Sharma U, Sharma A, Pandey A. Protective efficacy of Solanum xanthocarpum root extracts against free radical damage: phytochemical analysis and antioxidant effect. Cell Mol Biol 2012;58:171-8.
31. Shimada K, Fujikawa K, Yahara K, Nakamura T. Antioxidative properties of xanthan on the autoxidation of soybean oil in cyclodextrin emulsion. J Agric Food Chem 1992;40:945-8.
32. Hajji M, Masmoudi O, Souissi N, Triki Y, Kammoun S, Nasri M. Chemical composition, angiotensin I-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the essential oil from Periploca laevigata root barks. Food Chem 2010;121:724-31.
33. Sudan R, Bhagat M, Gupta S, Singh J, Koul A. Iron (FeII) chelation, ferric reducing antioxidant power, and immune modulating potential of Arisaema jacquemontii(Himalayan Cobra Lily). Bio Med Res Int 2014. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1155/2014/179865
34. Akinola AA, Ahmad S, Maziah M. Total anti-oxidant capacity, flavonoid, phenolic acid and polyphenol content in ten selected species of Zingiberaceae rhizomes. Afr J Tradit Complementary Altern Med 2014;11:7-13.
35. Dewade D, Christina A, Chidambaranathan N, Bhajipale N, Tekade N. Antitumor activity of Vitex negundo Linn. against Daltonâ€™s ascitic lymphoma. Int J Pharmtech Res 2010; 2:1101-4.
36. Pour BM, Latha LY, Sasidharan S. Cytotoxicity and oral acute toxicity studies of Lantana camara leaf extract. Molecules 2011;16:3663-74.
37. Rajkapoor B, Murugesh N, Rama Krishna D. Cytotoxic activity of a flavanone from the stem of Bauhinia variegata Linn. Nat Prod Res 2009;23:1384-9.
38. Murray B, Carter R, Imrie C, Evans S, Oâ€™suilleabhain C. Diclofenac reduces the incidence of acute pancreatitis after endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. Gastro-enterology 2003;124:1786-91.