ELECTROCHEMICAL AND CHEMOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF DORZOLAMIDE AND TIMOLOL IN EYE DROPS USING MODIFIED MULTIWALL CARBON NANOTUBE ELECTRODE
Objective: This work is focused on the construction of simple and sensitiveÂ electrochemical sensor for quantitative determination of dorzolamide (DOR) and timolol maleate (TIM). This method is based on the incorporation of multiwall carbon nanotubes (MWCNT) into the carbon paste electrode which improve the characteristics of the electrode.
Methods: The electrochemical response of modified electrode was based on voltammetric oxidation, using cyclic voltammetry (CV) and impedance spectroscopy (EIS). The structural morphology of the surface modified electrode was characterized by scanning electron microscope (SEM). Quantitative analysis for each of the two compounds in a mixture has been examined by using of chemometric tools for resolving overlapping signals. The prediction performance of the chemometric method was analyzed by principal component regression (PCR) and partial least square (PLS).
Results: Fractional factorial design was constructed from set of synthetic mixtures of two drugs in concentration ranges of 0.05 to 1.6Âµg/ml for DOR and 1.5-20 Âµg/ml for TIM. Under optimum experimental conditions, DOR and TIM gave rectilinear response over the concentration range of 0.072-1.88 Âµg/ml and 1.16-20.84 Âµg/ml, respectively. The limit of detection (LOD) was found to be 0.098 and 1.025 Âµg/ml, for DOR and TIM, respectively. It found that the % of relative prediction error (RPE) was acceptable and satisfactory.
Conclusion: In these work, for the first time, a new voltammetric simultaneous method developed for a rapid and efficient determination of DOR and TIM from eye dropper sample at nano modified electrode with satisfactory results. These results indicate that MWCNT holds great promise in practical application.
2. The Merck Index. An encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs and Biological fourteen ed. Merck and Co., Inc; Whitehouse Station, NJ; 2006. p. 1623.
3. Constanzer M, Chavez C, Matuszewski B. Low-level determination of dorzolamide and its de-ethylated metabolite in human plasma by liquid chromatography with atmospheric pressure chemical ionization tandem mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1997;15:1001-8.
4. Maltese A, Bucolo C. Rapid highâ€performance liquid chromatographic assay of dorzolamide in rabbit aqueous humor. Biomed Chromatogr 2002;16:274-6.
5. Tim RC, Kautz RA, Karger BL. Ultratrace analysis of drugs in biological fluids using affinity probe capillary electrophoresis: Analysis of dorzolamide with fluorescently labeled carbonic anhydrase. Electrophoresis 2000;21:220-6.
6. Zammataro A, Saletti R, Civiale C, Muccilli V, Cunsolo V, Foti S. Simultaneous quantification of carteolol and dorzolamide in rabbit aqueous humor and ciliary body by liquid chromatography/atmospheric pressure chemical ionization mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B 2010;878:807-14.
7. Dovletoglou A, Thomas SM, Berwick L, Ellison DK, Tway PC. Development of practical HPLC methods for analysis and quality assessment of the novel carbonic anhydrase inhibitor MK-0507 and the acetamidosulfonamide intermediate. J Liq Chromatogr Related Technol 1995;18:2337-52.
8. Erk N. Rapid and sensitive HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of dorzolamide hydrochloride and timolol maleate in eye drops with diode-array and UV detection. Die Pharm Int J Pharm Sci 2003;58:491-3.
9. Kanchan R, Roy SM, Rane R. Simultaneous RP-HPLC determination of dorzolamide hydrochloride and timolol maleate in pharmaceutical preparations. Trade Sci Inc 2008;7:126-7.
10. Novak T, Berwick L. Determination of the enantiomeric composition of a novel topically active carbonic anhydrase inhibitor by HPLC. J Liq Chromatogr Related Technol 1998;21:1883-96.
11. Bebawy LI. Application of TLC-densitometry, first-derivative UV-spectrophotometry and ratio derivative spectrophotometry for the determination of dorzolamide hydrochloride and timolol maleate. J Pharma Biomed Anal 2002;27:737-46.
12. Erk N. Simultaneous determination of dorzolamide HCL and timolol maleate in eye drops by two different spectroscopic methods. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;28:391-7.
13. Lotfy HM, Hegazy MA, Rezk MR, Omran YR. Novel spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of timolol and dorzolamide in their binary mixture. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2014;126:197-207.
14. Palabiyik IM, Caglayan MG, Onur F. Multivariate optimization and validation of a CE method for simultaneous analysis of dorzolamide hydrochloride and timolol maleate in ophthalmic solution. Chromatographia 2011;73:541-8.
15. Erk N. Voltammetric and HPLC determination of dorzolamide hydrochloride in eye drops. Die Pharm Int J Pharm Sci 2003;58:870-3.
16. Sharath H, Jose GB, Channabasavaraj K, Modiya J. Development and validation of spectrophotometric methods for Estimation of dorzolamide HCL in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:948-53.
17. Geto A, Pita M, De Lacey AL, Tessema M, Admassie S. Electrochemical determination of berberine at a multiwalled carbon nanotubes-modified glassy carbon electrode. Sens Act B: Chem 2013;183:96-101.
18. Song D, Xia J, Zhang F, Bi S, Xiang W, Wang Z, et al. Multiwall carbon nanotubes-poly (diallyldimethylammonium chloride)-graphene hybrid composite film for simultaneous determination of catechol and hydroquinone. Sens Act B: Chem 2015;206:111-8.
19. Yanez-Sedeno P, Pingarron JM, Riu J, Rius FX. Electrochemical sensing based on carbon nanotubes. Trends Anal Chem 2010;29:939-53.
20. Wang JX, Li MX, Shi ZJ, Li NQ, Gu ZN. Investigation of the electrocatalytic behavior of single-wall carbon nanotube films on an au electrode. Microchem J 2002;733:25-33.
21. Zeng B, Huang F. Electrochemical behavior and determination of fluphenazine at multiwalled carbon nanotubes/(3-mercaptopropyl) trimethoxysilane bilayer modified gold electrodes. Talanta 2004;64:380-6.
22. Britto PJ, Santhanam KSV, Ajayan PM. Carbon nanotube electrode for oxidation of dopamine. Bioelectrochem Bioenerg 1996;41:121-5.
23. Rizk M, Abou Elâ€Alamin MM, Hendawy HA, Moawad MI. Highly sensitive differential pulse and square wave voltammetric methods for determination of strontium ranelate in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Electroanal 2016;4:770-7.
24. Shalaby A, Hassan WS, Hendawy HA, Ibrahim A. Electrochemical oxidation behavior of itraconazole at different electrodes and its anodic stripping determination in pharmaceuticals and biological fluids. J Electroanal Chem 2016;763:51-62.
25. Ni Y, Qiu P, Kokot S. Simultaneous determination of three organophosphorus pesticides by differential pulse stripping voltammetry and chemometrics. Anal Chim Acta 2004;516:7-17.
26. Asadollahi-Baboli M, Mani-Varnosfaderani A. Rapid and simultaneous determination of tetracycline and cefixime antibiotics by mean of gold nanoparticles-screen printed gold electrode and chemometrics tools. Measure 2014;47:145-9.
27. Gholivand MB, Jalalvand AR, Goicoechea HC, Gargallo R, Skov T. Chemometrics: an important tool for monitoring interactions of vitamin B7 with bovine serum albumin with the aim of developing an efficient biosensing system for the analysis of protein. Talanta 2015;132:354-65.
28. Britton HTS, Robinson RA. CXCVIII. Universal buffer solutions and the dissociation constant of veronal. J Chem Soc (Resumed) 1931;1456-62. Doi:10.1039/JR9310001456
29. Shehata M, Azab S, Fekry A, Ameer M. Nano-TiO2 modified carbon paste sensor for electrochemical nicotine detection using anionic surfactant. Biosens Bioelectron 2016;79:589-92.
30. Fekry AM. A new simple electrochemical moxifloxacin hydrochloride sensor built on carbon paste modified with silver nanoparticles. Biosens Bioelect 2017;87:1065-70.
31. Fekry AM. Electrochemical behavior of a novel nanocomposite coat on Ti alloy in phosphate buffer solution for biomedical applications. RSC Adv 2016;6:20276-85.
32. Fekry A, Ameer M. Electrochemical investigation on the corrosion and hydrogen evolution rate of mild steel in sulphuric acid solution. Int J Hydrog Energy 2011;36:11207-15.
33. Heakal FE-T, Fekry A. Experimental and theoretical study of uracil and adenine inhibitors in Sn-Ag alloy/nitric acid corroding system. J Electrochem Soc 2008;155:C534-C42.
34. Heakal FET, Fekry AM, Fatayerji MZ. Electrochemical behavior of AZ91D magnesium alloy in phosphate medium: part II. Induced passivation. J Appl Electrochem 2009;39:1633-42.
35. Fekry A. Impedance and hydrogen evolution studies on magnesium alloy in oxalic acid solution containing different anions. Int J Hydrog Energy 2010;35:12945-51.
36. Heakal FET, Fekry A, Jibril MAE-B. Electrochemical behaviour of the Mg alloy AZ91D in borate solutions. Corrosion Sci 2011;53:1174-85.
37. Svorc L, Sochr J, Tomcik P, Rievaj M, Bustin D. Simultaneous determination of paracetamol and penicillin V by square-wave voltammetry at a bare boron-doped diamond electrode. Electrochim Acta 2012;68:227-34.
38. Bard AJ, Faulkner LR. Electrochemical methods: fundamentals and applications. Vol. 2. Wiley New York; 1980.
39. Shariati-Rad M, Irandoust M, Karimi M. Development of a spectrophotometric method for simultaneous determination of dorzolamide and timolol by partial least squares and H-point standard addition method. ACAIJ 2015;11:458-64.
40. Shadoul WA, Gad Kariem EA, Adam ME, Ibrahim KEE. Simul-taneous determination of dorzolamide hydrochloride and timolol maleate in ophthalmic solutions using HPLC. Elixir Pharm 2011;38:4060-3.
41. Nagori BP, Maru A, Muysuni P, Gupta S. Method development and its validation for simultaneous estimation of timolol maleate and dorzolamide hydrochloride in as API and in ophthalmic solution dosage form by RPHPLC. J Chem Pharm Res 2011;3:866-74.