SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF PROPAFENONE AND ITS TWO METABOLITES IN HUMAN PLASMA BY LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY/TANDEM MASS SPECTROMETRY LC-MS/MS
Objective: A simple, sensitive and rapid performance liquid chromatography/positive ion electrospray tandem mass spectrometry method was to be developed and validated for quantification of propafenone (PPF) and its two major metabolite 5-hydroxy propafenone (5-OHP) and N-depropyl propafenone (NDP) in human plasma.
Methods: Liquid-liquid extraction (LLE) with ethyl acetate was used of extraction of plasma samples. The analytes were separated using an isocratic mixture of 0.1% formic acid/acetonitrile (20:80 v/v) on a reversed-phase column Hypurity Advance C18 50 x2.1 mm, 5Âµ and analysed by mass spectrometry in the multiple reaction monitoring mode using the respective [M+H] Ions. The m/z was 342.20/116.10 for propafenone, m/z 299.80/74.10 for N depropyl propafenone and m/z 358.30/98.10 for 5-hydroxy propfenone along with m/z 409.2/238.0 for Amlodipine as internal standard respectively.
Results: The method had a short chromatographic run time of 1.5 min. The method exhibited a linear dynamic range over 5.11 to 1000.73 ng/ml for propafenone, 0.51 to 100.06 ng/ml for N-depropyl propafenone and 5.11 to 1001.64 ng/ml for 5-hydroxy propafenone respectively, in human plasma.
Conclusion: The validated method has been successfully used to analyze human plasma samples for application in pharmacokinetics, bioavailability and bioequivalence studies.
2. Dollery C. Therapeutic drugs. 2nd ed. Edinburgh (UK): Churchill living stone; 1999.
3. Kates RE, Yee YG, Winkle RA. Metabolite cumulation during chronic propafenone dosing in arrhythmia. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1985;37:610-4.
4. Hege HG, Hollmann M, Kaumeier S, Lietz H. The metabolic fate of 2H-labeled propafenone in man. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 1984;9:41-5.
5. Valenzuela C, Delgado C, Tamargo J. Electrophysiological effects of 5-hydroxy propafenone on guinea pig ventricular muscle fiber. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1987;10:523-9.
6. Zhong D, Chen X. Enantioselective determination of propafenone and its metabolites in human plasma by liquid chromatographyâ€“mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B 1999;721:67-75.
7. Afshar M, Rouini M. A rapid HPLC assay for the simultaneous determination of propafenone and its major metabolites in human serum. Anal Sci 2004;20:1307-11
8. Hofmann U, Pecia M, Heinkele G, Dilger K, Kroemer HK, Ecihelbaum M. Determination of propafenone and its phase I and II metabolites in plasma and urine by high-performance liquid chromatography-electronspray ionization mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B 2000;748:113-23.
9. Kubalec P, Bransteterova E. Determination of propafenone and its main metabolite 5-hydroxypropafenone in human serum with direct injection into a column-switching chromatographic system. J Chromatogr B 1999;726:211-8
10. L Pan, Y Qian, Cheng M, Gu P, He Y, Xu L, et al. Pharmacokinetics of propafenone hydrochloride sustained-release capsules in male beagle dogs. Acta Pharm Sin B 2015;5:74-8.
11. Sujan Kumar DP, Palavan C, Sheshagiri Rao JVLN. A rapid and sensitive LC-MS/MS assay for the determination of propafenone and its active metabolite 5-hydroxy propafenone in human plasma using SPE precipitation technology. Pharm Lett 2015;7:122-8.
12. Sharma D, Mittal R, Gupta A, Singh K, Nair A. Quantitative bioanalysis by LC-MS/MS: a review. J Pharm Biomed Sci 2010;7:1-9.