A STUDY ON EFFECT OF INDOLE AS A SUBSTITUENT ON A KETO-ENOL TAUTOMER: A SYNTHETIC APPROACH ON Î²-DIKETONE
Objective: The existence of keto-enol tautomerism in Î²-diketones can typically study by a choice of analytical technique. The position of the keto-enol equilibrium depends on a number of factors like solvent, temperature, and substituents. Here an attempt was made to examine the effect of indole, a heterocyclic moiety with the moderately high polar surface area to examine its effect on ketonisation of Î²-diketone.
Methods: The Î²-diketone studied and synthesized is a structural analog of magical drug curcumin. The structural influence of indole on ketonisation of Î²-diketone is studied to give a hypothesis on factors contributing towards ketonisation. This work involves the synthesis of 6-(1H-Indol-3-yl)-hex-5ene-2, 4-dione and the study on the single crystal structure of indole-3-carboxaldehyde, major functional component to result in the reaction. The tautomer was studied for its ability to bind with tetrahydrofolate reductase enzyme using Discovery Studio 3.5 version to differentiate the pharmacological significance of conformations.
Results: The single crystal XRD structure of this compound was deposited in Cambridge crystallographic data center bearing CCDC No.1536311. The structural characterization of synthesized ligand was carried out by using IR, Mass, 1H NMR spectroscopic techniques. The docking study reveals that keto isomer found to exhibit more inhibition of the enzyme tetrahydrofolate reductase hence more pharmacologically active.
Conclusion: The experimental evidence proves that indole substitution shifted the keto-enol equilibrium towards keto form of 6-(1H-Indol-3-yl)-hex-5ene-2, 4-dione.
2. Muhammad D, Andi S, Edi M, Umar AJ, Masashi K. Apoptosis induction effect of curcumin and its analogues pentagamavunon-0 and pentagamavunon-1 on cancer cell lines. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:373-6.
3. Sarvesh S, Gaurav KS, Vimal K. Development of spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of artesunate and curcumin in a liposomal formulation. Int J Appl Pharm 2015;7:18-21.
4. Rubendra K, Dinesh Kumar M, Dinesh Kumar J. Solid dispersion: a novel means of solubility enhancement. J Crit Rev 2016;3:1-8.
5. Karpakavalli M, Preethi K, Sanglimuthu A, Kumar EP. Docking, synthesis, characterization and anticancer activity of 4-(4â€™-hydroxy, 3â€™-methoxy) phenyl, but-2-one-3-ene, a curcumin analogue precursor. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8:1-5.
6. Mathew PU, Krishnankutty K. Synthesis, and characterization of Co (II), Ni(II) and Cu(II) complexes of some 6-aryl-5-hexene-2,4-diones. Asian J Chem 2002;14:949-56.
7. John VD, Krishnankutty K. Antitumour studies aluminum complexes of synthetic curcuminoids. Main Group Met Chem 2010;33:157-65.
8. Mathew PU, Venugopalan P, Krishnankutty K. Metal chelates of 5-aryl-1-phenyl-4-pentene-1,3-diones. Asian J Chem 2002;14:1335-40.
9. Elgureo J, Marzin C, Katritzky AR, Linda P. Advances in heterocyclic chemistry: the tautomerism of heterocycles, Newyork: Academic Press; 1976.
10. Burdett JL, Rogers MT. Keto-enol tautomerism in Î²-dicarbonyls studied by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. J Am Chem Soc 1964;86:2105-9.
11. Umesha KB, Lokantha Rai KM, Ajay Kumar K, Sudha BS, Khanum SA. A new approach for the determination of the percentage of the enol form in the Î²-keto carbonyl compounds using the chloramine-T oxidative method. Oxidation Commun 2004;27:831-5.
12. Umesha KB, Lokanatha Rai KM, Ajay Kumar K, Prasad KR, Shashikanth S. A new approach to the determination of a number of oxo groups in carbonyl compounds using the chloramine-T oxidative method. Chem Anal (Warsaw) 2001;46:269-74.
13. Umesha KB, Lokanatha Rai KM, Ajay Kumar K. A novel synthesis of isoxazoles via 1,3-dipoar cycloaddition of nitrile oxides to acetylacetone. Synthetic Commun 2002;32:1841-6.
14. Umesha KB, Lokanatha Rai KM, Ajay Kumar K. A new approach to the synthesis of pyrazoles via 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition of nitrile imines with acetylacetone. Indian J Chem 2002;41B:1450-3.
15. Krishnankutty K, Muhammed BU, Mathew PU. Some unsaturated Î²-diketones and their metal chelates. Trade Sci Inc 2009;4:78-82.
16. Muhammed BU, Anjali K, Mathew PU. Metal complexes of unsaturated poly carbonyl compounds derived from benzoyl acetone and aromatic aldehydes. J Iran Chem Res 2010;3:71-81.
17. Khan MA, El-Khatib R, Rainsford KD, Whitehouse MW. Synthesis and anti-inflammatory properties of some aromatic and heterocyclic aromatic curcuminoids. Bioorg Chem 2012;40:30-8.
18. Yanagisawa D, Shirai N, Amatsubo T, Taguchi H, Hirao K, Urushitani M, et al. Relationship between the tautomeric structures of curcumin derivatives and their Abeta-binding activities in the context of therapies for Alzheimer's disease. Biomaterials 2010;14:4179-85.
19. Yvonne CM. Letâ€™s not forget tautomers. J Comput Aided Mol Des 2009;23:694-74.
20. Kelotra A, Soumya VG, Kelotra S, Gokhale SM, Bidwai AK. Molecular docking of some herbal-based potential anti-psoriasis agents with dihydrofolate reductase. Indian J Drugs Diseases 2012;1:192-9.
21. Manogaran E, Ramanathan M, Mohamed AA. Identification of curcumin targets in neuroinflammatory pathways: molecular docking scores with gsk-3Î², p38 mapk, cox, ice and tace enzymes. Acta Pol Pharm 2012;69:237:45.
22. Krishnakumar KL, Mathew PU. Metal complexes of heterocyclic unsaturated 1, 3-diketones. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4:1154-8.
23. Krishnakumar KL, Mathew PU. Synthesis, characterization of some heterocyclic curcumin analogues and their copper complexes as antitubercular and antimicrobial agents. Int J Recent Sci Res 2013;4:122-7.
24. Krishnakumar KL, Manju R. Synthesis characterization and comparative study of certain metal-1, 3-diketonates. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4:392-5.
25. Nakamoto K. Infrared spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds. 4th ed. New York: Wiley; 1976.
26. Bellamy LJ. The infrared spectra of complex molecules. 1st ed. London: Academic Press; 1980.
27. Payton F, Sandusky P, Alworth WL. NMR study of the solution structure of curcumin. J Nat Prod 2007;70:143-6.
28. Ben VB, Jelle R, Henk G. Electron ionization mass spectroscopy of curcumin analogues: an olefin metathesis reaction in the fragmentation of radical cations. J Mass Spectrom 1998;33:319-27.
29. Raymond DGJ. The crystal and molecular structure of enol form of 1-phenyl-1,3-betanedione (benzoyl acetone) by neutron diffraction. Acta Crystallogr 1976;B32:2133-8.
30. Haja HA, Ravi G, Dhanasekaran R, Ramasamy P. Studies on organic indole-3-aldehyde single crystals. J Cryst Growth 2000;212:227-32.
31. Sahu VK, Khan AKR, Singh RK, Singh PP. Hydrophobic, Polar and hydrogen bonding based drug-receptor interaction of tetrahydroimidazobenzodiazepinones. Am J Immunol 2008;4:33-42.