IMPACT OF PATIENT COUNSELLING ON KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE, AND PRACTICE OF HYPERTENSIVE PATIENTS IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL
Objective: Hypertension is a leading cause of death and disability worldwide and proper assessment of knowledge, attitude, and practice (KAP) factors are helpful in its management. Our aim was to assess the knowledge, attitude, and practice among hypertensive patients and the impact of patient counselling on the same.
Methods: A prospective study was conducted among hypertensive patients from November 2015 to April 2016. Suitably designed and validated KAP questionnaire was used to evaluate the baseline KAP score. Patient information leaflets were provided after counselling. After 3 mo patients were followed up and their KAP scores were reassessed and data were analysed.
Results: Before the intervention, the mean scoreÂ±SD of knowledge, attitude, and practice were 11.76(SDÂ±4.58); 5.14(SDÂ±2.13); 9.26(SDÂ±1.66) which increased to 14.29(SDÂ±2.95); 5.74(SDÂ±1.39); 10.32(SDÂ±1.33) respectively after the intervention.
Conclusion: Our study suggests that pharmacist mediated counselling plays a vital role in improving patients' knowledge, attitude, and practice towards the disease management
2. Roopa KS, Rama Devi G. Impact of intervention programme on knowledge, attitude, practices in the management of hypertension among elderly. Studies Home Community Sci 2014;8:11-6.
3. Pawar S, Kaveri DL, Padma S, Diwan A. Effect of pharmacist mediated patient counselling in hypertensive patients in terms of knowledge, compliance and lifestyle modification. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:277-81.
4. Ramesh A, Somasekhar MA. Influence of structured patient education on therapeutic outcomes in diabetes and hypertensive patients. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010;3:174-8.
5. Biradar SS, Reddy S, Raju SA, Kapatae R. Assessment of pharmacist mediated patient counselling on knowledge, attitude, and practices on hypertension in compliance with antihypertensive drugs in South Indian city. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2012;3:1733-8.
6. Parmar P, Gunvanti B, Rathod, Sangita R, Goyal R, Aggarwal S, et al. Study of knowledge, attitude and practice of general population of gandhinagar towards hypertension. Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci 2014;3:680-5.
7. Biradar SS, Reddy S, Raju SA, Kapatae R. Role of pharmacist towards knowledge, attitude, and practice in compliance with hypertension in north Karnataka in south Indian city a brief overview. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:17-20.
8. Bollu M, Nalluri KK, Prakash AS, Lohith MN, Venkataramarao N. Study of knowledge, attitude, and practice of general population of guntur toward silent killer diseases: hypertension and diabetes. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:74-8.
9. Ramanath KV, Balaji DBSS, Nagakishore CH, Mahesh Kumar S, Bhanuprakash M. A study on impact of clinical pharmacist interventions on medication adherence and quality of life in rural hypertensive patients. J Young Pharm 2012;4:95-100.
10. Sharma S, Aarati K, Bharat P, Roshani S, Sunil S, Kalpana P, et al. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice outcomes: an effect of pharmacist provided counselling in hypertensive patients in a tertiary care teaching hospital in western Nepal. Int J Pharm Sci 2010;2:583-7.
11. Johnson C, Mohan S, Rogers K, Roopa S, Sudhir R, Priti G, et al. Mean dietary salt intake in urban and rural areas in india: a population survey of 1395 persons. J Am Heart Assoc 2017;6:1-8.
12. Ghosh A, Sarkar D, Mukherji B, Pal R. Prevalence, and risk correlates of hypertension among adult rural population in Bihar. Ann Trop Med Public Health 2013;6:71-5.
13. Shankar P, Bhatia S, Khanka BS, Singh D, Tutu S, Lakhani P, et al. Study of knowledge, attitude and practice of general population of Lucknow towards hypertension. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4:1674-9.
14. Naveen B, Mahaboojan M, Padmanabha YR, Narayana G. Impact of clinical pharmacist mediated patient counselling on health related quality of life in hypertensive patients. Indian J Pharmacy Practice 2014;7:34-40.
15. Sabouhi F, Babaee S, Naji H, Zadeh AH. Knowledge, awareness, attitudes, and practice about hypertension in hypertensive patients referring to public health care centers in Khoor and Biabanak. Iranian J Nursing Midwifery Res 2011;16:34â€“40.