EFFECT OF VARMAM THERAPY IN SANTHU VATHAM (OSTEO ARTHRITIS–KNEE JOINT)-A SINGLE CASE STUDY
Santhu vatham is a vatha disease mentioned in the Siddha text book Yugi vaidhya chindhamani. The clinical features can be equated to osteo arthritis of knee joint. Varmam therapy is one of the external therapies mentioned in Siddha literature. A 68 y old male from chennai reported to the varmam, narambiyal matrum enbumurivu OPD of Siddha Central Research Institute (SCRI) on 2.5.2015 with chief complaints of pain and swelling in both knee joints since 5 y. He was given varmam therapy. Varma points are points where the pranan, ie, vital energy of our body is concentrated (residing). The treatment is given for 45 d for once in 2 d for 15 min. The pain was assessed using visual analogue score before and after treatment. The pain was markedly reduced after treatment. The range of movements of the knee joint was also improved.
2. Roberts J, Burch TA. Osteoarthritis prevalence in adults by age, sex, race, and geographic area. Vital Health Stat 1966;11:1-27.
3. Survey Titled, TNS AROGYA 2006-07. The Health Monitor conducted by TNS, an ISO-accredited market research agency in Delhi; 2007.
4. R Thiyagarajan, Anaivaari R Anandhan. Special medicines in Siddha. Department of Indian Medicine and Homoeopathy, Chennai. 1st ed; 2009. p. 114.
5. Traditional and complementary medicine practice guideline on Varmam therapy. 1st ed. Ministry of Health, Malaysia; 2016. p. 17-9.
6. N Shanmugam, Varma Maruthuva Adipadai Kalvi. Thirumoolar Varmology Institute; 2014.
7. Stein C. The control of pain in peripheral tissue by opioids. N Engl J Med 1995;332;1685-90.
8. Miller R. Millerâ€™s Anesthesia. 6th ed. Pennsylvania: Elsevier; 2005. p. 382-6.
9. Brunton L. Goodman and Gilmanâ€™s The pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 11th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2006. p. 547-59.