ALLEVIATION OF FLUORIDE INDUCED ALTERATIONS IN ANTIOXIDANT STATUS AND FECUNDITY OF SPERMATOZOA OF RATS BY BOERHAAVIA DIFFUSA L.
Objective: The present study focused on the effect of oral administration of sodium fluoride on antioxidant status and fecundity of spermatozoa of rats and also to evaluate the ameliorative effect of Boerhaavia diffusa L.
Methods: Wistar male rats (weighing 100-150g) were administered sodium fluoride (at three different doses 100, 200 and 300 ppm/kg BW) daily for 20 and 40 d. At the end of the experimental period, half of the animals were sacrificed and their epididymis was removed. Remaining half rats were administered B. diffusa (250 and 500 mg/kg BW) for 20 d. Level of malondialdehyde (MDA), the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) was estimated. Sperm morphology, count, motility and viability were also determined.
Results: There was a dose-dependent significant decrease in activity of SOD (p<0.01) and CAT (p<0.05), and increase (p<0.01) in the level of MDA in experimental rats as compared to the control group. Sperm count, motility and viability were also decreased significantly (p<0.0001) in rats treated with fluoride. The fluorotic rats exhibited morphological abnormalities in the head (amorphous, hookless, double headed and bent), tail (coiled, hairpin looped, double-tailed) and body (short, large and presence of protoplasmic process) of spermatozoa as compared to control group. These toxic effects were reversed by the administration of leaf extract of Boerhaavia diffusa L.
Conclusion: The results suggest that Boerhaavia diffusa L. extract attenuates fluoride exerted disruptions to spermatozoa
2. Hansen C, Luben TJ, Sacks JD, Olshan A, Jeffay S, Strader L, et al. The effect of ambient air pollution on sperm quality. Environ Health Perspect 2010;118:203-9.
3. Xu R, Shang W, Liu J, Duan L, Ba Y, Zhang H, et al. Influence of fluorine on the expression of the androgen-binding protein and inhibin B mRNA in rat testis sertoli cells. Weisheng Yanjiu 2010;39:615-7.
4. Dvoraokovao-Hortovao K, Sandera M, Jursovao M, Vasinovao J, Peknicovao J. The influence of fluorides on mouse sperm capacitation. Anim Reprod Sci 2008;108:157-70.
5. Sun Z, Niu R, Su K, Wang B, Wang J, Zhang J, et al. Effects of sodium fluoride on hyperactivation and Ca2+signaling pathway in sperm from mice: an in vivo study. Arch Toxicol 2010;84:353-61.
6. Shrader Frechette K. EPAâ€™s 2006 human-subjects rule for pesticide experiments. Account Res 2007;14:211-54.
7. Gaitonde BB, Kulkarni HJ, Nabar SD. Diuretic activity of punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa). Bulletins of the Haffkine Institute (Bombay, India); 1974.
8. Mudgal V. Studies on medicinal properties of Convolvulus pluricaulis and Boerhaavia diffusa. Planta Med 1975;28:62-8.
9. Premkumar P, Priya J, Suriyavathana M. Evaluation of antioxidant potential of andrographis echioides and Boerhaavia diffusa. Int J Curr Res 2010;3:59-62.
10. Narendhirakannan RT, Subramanian S, Kandaswamy M. Biochemical evaluation of antidiabetogenic properties of some commonly used Indian plants on streptozotocin-induced diabetes in experimental rats. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2006;33:1150-7.
11. Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 1979;95:351-8.
12. Das K, Samanta L, Chainy GBN. A modified spectrophotometric assay for superoxide dismutase using nitrite formation by superoxide radicals. Indian J Biochem Biophysics 2000;37:201-4.
13. Aebi HE. Catalase in methods of enzymatic analysis. Bergmeyr HU. ed. Verlag chemie Weinhei 1983;3:273-86.
14. Bairy L, Paul V, Rao Y. Reproductive toxicity of sodium valproate in male rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2010;42:90-4.
15. Flegler SL, Heckman JW, Klomparens KL. Scanning and transmission electron microscopy. WH Freeman and Company, New York; 1993.
16. Eliasson R. Supravital staining of human spermatozoa. Fertil Steril 1977;28:1257.
17. Susheela AK, Kumar A. Ultrastructural studies on the leydig cells of rabbits exposed to chronic fluoride toxicity. Environ Sci 1997;5:79-94.
18. Ghosh D, Das SS, Maiti R, Jana D, Das UB. Testicular toxicity in sodium fluoride treated rats: association with oxidative stress. Reprod Toxicol 2002;16:385-90.
19. Chauhan DS, Singh VP, Tripathi S, Tomar A, Tiwari M, Tomar S. Influence of fluoride exposure on hypothalamic pituitary gonadal axis hormones and semen quality. Asian J Biol Life Sci 2013;3:201-6.
20. Chauhan DS, Tomar A, Tiwari M, Singh VP, Tomar S, Tripathi S. Endogenous and exogenous antioxidants status in seminal plasma of skeletal fluorotic patients. Sch J Appl Med Sci 2013;1:152-7.
21. Agarwal A, Said TM. Oxidative stress, DNA damage and apoptosis in male infertility: a clinical approach. BJU Int 2005;95:503-7.
22. Wang JL, Zhang YM, Zhang HJ, Zhang K, Zhang ZW, Li J. Toxic effects of fluoride on reproductive ability in male rats: sperm motility, oxidative stress, cell cycle, and testicular apoptosis. Fluoride 2009;42:174-8.
23. Shivarajashankara YM, Shivashankara AR, Gopalakrishna Bhat P, Hanumanth Rao S. Effects of fluoride intoxication on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant systems in rats. Fluoride 2001;34:108-13.
24. Mittal M, Flora SJ. Effects of individual and combined exposure to sodium arsenite and sodium fluoride on tissue oxidative stress, arsenic and fluoride levels in male mice. Chem Biol Interact 2006;162:128-39.
25. Aziz N, Saleh RA, Sharma RK, Lewis-Jones I, Esfandiari N, Thomas AJ, et al. Novel association between sperm reactive oxygen species production, sperm morphological defects, and the sperm deformity index. Fertil Steril 2004;81:349-54.
26. Chinoy NJ, Sharma A. Reversal of fluoride-induced alteration in cauda epididymal spermatozoa and fertility impairment in male mice. Environ Sci 2000;7:29-38.
27. Saleh RA, Agarwal A. Oxidative stress and male infertility: from the research bench to clinical practice. J Androl 2002;23:737-52.
28. Kao SH, Chao HT, Chen HW, Hwang TI, Liao TL, Wei YH. Increase of oxidative stress in human sperm with lower motility. Fertil Steril 2008;89:1183-90.
29. Huang C, Niu R, Wang J. Toxic effects of sodium fluoride on reproductive function in male mice. Fluoride 2007;40:162-8.
30. Wan SX, Zhang JH, Wang JD. Effects of high fluoride on sperm quality and testicular histology in male rats. Fluoride 2006;39:17-21.
31. Cui LX, Jiang CX, Wang XL, Chen XM. Experimental study on effect of fluoride on reproductive system of male rats. Chin J Endemiol 2003;22:195-7.
32. Huang C, Yang H, Niu R, Sun Z, Wang J. Effect of sodium fluoride on androgen receptor expression in male mice. Fluoride 2008;41:10-7.
33. Chinoy NJ, Shukla S, Walimbe AS, Bhattacharya S. Fluoride toxicity on rat testis and cauda epididymal tissue components and its reversal. Fluoride 1997;30:41-50.