PSIDIUM GUAJAVA L. EXTRACT INCREASES PLATELET COUNT THROUGH ENHANCEMENT OF STEM CELL FACTOR EXPRESSION IN THROMBOCYTOPENIC MICE MODEL
Objective: The purpose of this study was to determine the mechanism through which guava extract increases platelet count.
Methods: Twenty male Swiss webster mice were divided into 4 group. Group I received 2.8 mg/20 g body weight of quinine and 1 ml of distilled water. Group II received 2.8 mg/20 grBW of quinine and 0.785 mg/20 grBW of guava extract. Group III received 1 ml distilled water and 0.785 mg/20 grBW of guava extract and Group IV only received 1 ml distilled water. After 14 days** treatment, platelet count was measured using Raas-Ecker method. SCF and TPO mRNA expressions in mice liver were assessed using qRT-PCR.
Results: The data showed that quinine administration reduced platelet count significantly (P<0.05). Psidium guajava L. extraction significantly enhanced platelet count in mice that were treated with quinine compared with quinine group (p<0.05). The mechanism was analysed further and our RT PCR data showed that stem cell factor mRNA expression significant increased (p<0.05) in quinine plus guava extract group compared to quinine group.
Conclusion: It indicated guava extract role in increasing megakaryopoiesis which resulted in an increase of platelet count.Â
2. Guyton AC, Hall JE. Textbook of Medical Physiology. 13th ed. Philadelphia; Elsevier; 2016.
3. Eto K, Kunishima S. Linkage between the mechanisms of thrombocytopenia and thrombopoiesis. Blood 2016;127:1234-41.
4. Drayer AL, Boer AK, Los L. Stem cell factor synergistically enhances thrombopoietinâ€induced STAT5 signaling in megakaryocyte progenitors through JAK2 and src kinase. Stem Cells 2005;23:240-51.
5. Shruthi DS, Roshan A, Timilsina SS, Sunita S. A review on the medicinal plant Psidiumguajava Linn. (Myrtaceae). Drug Delivery Ther 2013;3:162-8.
6. Rabbaniyah F. The effect of leaf extract guava (Psidium guajava Linn.) against increased platelets in patients with dengue hemorrhagic fever. Majority 2015;4:91-6.
7. Kummee P, Borisutpeth M, Chanlun S, Kanbutra P, Chanlun A. Efficacy of guava leaf extract as alternative pre-milking teat dipping in reducing teatâ€“end bacterial load of milking dairy cows. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:434-8.
8. Prasetio JN. Potential red guava juice in a patient with dengue hemorrhagic fever. Majority 2015;4:25-9.
9. Atik N, Durry M, Tarawifa S, Darmadji HP. The effect of guava extract administration on megakaryocytes amount in mice femur. Indonesian J Clin Pharm 2017;6:116â€“22.
10. Shin S, Kim T, Youm S, Kim Y, Ahn B. Quercetin promotes the differentiation of hematopoietic stem cells or early progenitor cells into erythroid lineage in mice. J Med Plant 2011;21:76-83.
11. MacNeil AJ, Junkins RD, Wu Z, Lin TJ. Stem cell factor induces AP-1-dependent mast cell IL-6 production via MAPK kinase 3 activity. J Leuk Biol 2014;95:903-15.
12. Kaser A, Brandacher G, Steurer W. Interleukin-6 stimulates thrombopoiesis through thrombopoietin: role in inflammatory thrombocytosis. Blood 2001;98:2720-5.
13. Kaushansky K. The molecular mechanisms that control thrombopoiesis. J Clin Invest 2005;15:3348-54.
14. Ghai CL. Textbook of practical physiology. 2nd ed. New Delhi; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher; 2013.
15. Stoffel R, Wiestner A, Skoda RC. Thrombopoietin in thrombocytopenic mice: evidence against regulation at the mRNA level and for a direct regulatory role of platelets. Blood 1996;87:567-73.
16. Wang CH, Verma S, Hsieh IC. Stem cell factor attenuates vascular smooth muscle apoptosis and increases intimal hyperplasia after vascular injury. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2007;27:540-7.
17. Perdomo J, Yan F, Ahmadi Z, Jiang XM, Stocker R, Chong BH. Quinine-induced thrombocytopenia: drug-dependent Gpib/IX antibodies inhibit megakaryocyte and proplatelet production in vitro. Blood 2011;117:5975-86.
18. Guo T, Wang X, Qu Y. Megakaryopoiesis and platelet production: insight into hematopoietic stem cell proliferation and differentiation. Stem Cell Invest 2015;2:3.
19. Patel S, Hartwig JH, Italiano Jr JE. The biogenesis of platelets from megakaryocyte proplatelets. J Clin Invest 2015;115:3348-54.
20. Soegijanto S, Tumbelaka AR, Anggraini RR, Sary DD. Multicenter clinical trial of guava leaf extract in dengue hemorrhagic fever patients. Medicinus 2010;23:5-10.
21. Hu B, Colleti LM. Stem cell factor and c-kit are involved in hepatic recovery after acetaminophen-induced liver injury in mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2008;295:45-53.