EFFECT OF EURYCOMA LONGIFOLIA ON SEXUAL BEHAVIOR IN SEXUALLY DYSFUNCTIONAL MALE: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW
Objective: This systematic review was conducted to summarize and evaluate the effect of Eurycoma longifolia (EL) on sexual behavior in the sexually dysfunctional male.
Methods: Ovid Medline, Wiley Online Library, Scopus, BioMed Central, Hindawi and Google Scholar databases were searched for relevant studies published from 1995 to 2016 and search was limited to relevant studies published in English. Studies assessing aphrodisiac properties of EL on male sexual behavior in sexually dysfunctional animal models or human were included.
Results: Among the 155 studies identified in the literature search, a total of 6 eligible articles (5 animal studies and one human study) were selected and reviewed. All studies reported positive aphrodisiac activities and supported the use of the plant as an aphrodisiac.
Conclusion: This systematic review highlighted the effect of EL extract as an aphrodisiac agent to improve sexual behavior in the sexually dysfunctional male. Further studies are required to determine the specific mechanisms of action and identification of the bioactive components of EL responsible for its potential efficacy.
2. Lewis RW, Fugl-Meyer KS, Bosch R, Fugl-Meyer AR, Laumann EO, Lizza E, et al. Epidemiology/risk factors of sexual dysfunction. J Sex Med 2004;1:35-9.
3. Patel DK, Kumar R, Prasad SK, Hemalatha S. Pharmacologically screened aphrodisiac plant-A review of the current scientific literature. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2011;1:S131-8.
4. Hatzimouratidis K, Amar E, Eardley I, Giuliano F, Hatzichristou D, Montorsi F, et al. Guidelines on male sexual dysfunction: erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Eur Urol 2010;57:804-14.
5. Lue TF. Erectile dysfunction. N Engl J Med 2000;342:1802-13.
6. Braun M, Wassmer G, Klotz T, Reifenrath B, Mathers M, Engelmann U. Epidemiology of erectile dysfunction: results of the' Cologne Male Survey'. Int J Impotence Res 2000;12:305-11.
7. Feldman HA, Goldstein I, Hatzichristou DG, Krane RJ, McKinlay JB. Impotence and its medical and psychosocial correlates: results of the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. J Urol 1994;151:54-61.
8. Kotta S, Ansari SH, Ali J. Exploring scientifically proven herbal aphrodisiacs. Pharmacogn Rev 2013;7:1-10.
9. McMahon CG, Abdo C, Incrocci L, Perelman M, Rowland D, Waldinger M, et al. Disorders of orgasm and ejaculation in men. J Sex Med 2004;1:58-65.
10. Laumann EO, Nicolosi A, Glasser DB, Paik A, Gingell C, Moreira E, et al. Sexual problems among women and men aged 40â€“80 y: prevalence and correlates identified in the Global Study of Sexual Attitudes and Behaviors. Int J Impot Res 2005;17:39-57.
11. Corona G, Petrone L, Mannucci E, Jannini EA, Mansani R, Magini A, et al. Psycho-biological correlates of rapid ejaculation in patients attending an andrologic unit for sexual dysfunctions. Eur Urol 2004;46:615-22.
12. Chia SJ. Management of premature ejaculation-a comparison of treatment outcome in patients with and without erectile dysfunction. Int J Androl 2002;25:301-5.
13. Mulhall JP, Hsiao W. editors. Men's Sexual Health and Fertility: A Clinician's Guide. New York: Springer; 2014.
14. Low WY, Wong YL, Tan HM. Malaysian cultural differences in knowledge, attitudes and practices related to erectile dysfunction: focus group discussions. Int J Impot Res 2002;14:440-5.
15. Laumann EO, A Paik, RC Rosen. Sexual dysfunction in the United States: prevalence and predictors. JAMA 1999;281:537-44.
16. Boolell M, Gepi-Attee S, Gingell JC, Allen MJ. Sildenafil, a novel effective oral therapy for male erectile dysfunction. Br J Urol 1996;78:257-61.
17. Patnaik SK, Haritha P, Rajeswara RP. Erectile dysfunction and its pharmacology: an overview. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:17-23.
18. Tan HM, Low WY, Ng CJ, Chen KK, Susita M, Ishii N, et al. Prevalence and correlates of erectile dysfunction (ED) and treatment seeking for ED in Asian men: the Asian Men's Attitudes to Life Events and Sexuality (MALES) study. J Sex Med 2007;4:1582-92.
19. Rhoden EL, Morgentaler A. Risks of testosterone-replacement therapy and recommendations for monitoring. N Engl J Med 2004;350:482-92.
20. Gooren LJ, Behre HM, Saad F, Frank A, Schwerdt S. Diagnosing and treating testosterone deficiency in different parts of the world. Results from global market research. Aging Male 2007;10:173-81.
21. Adimoelja A. Phytochemicals and the breakthrough of traditional herbs in the management of sexual dysfunctions. Int J Androl 2000;23:82-4.
22. Yakubu MT, Akanji MA, Oladiji AT. Male sexual dysfunction and methods used in assessing medicinal plants with aphrodisiac potentials. Pharmacogn Rev 2007;1:49-56.
23. Carro-Juarez M, Lobaton I, Benitez O, Espiritu A. Pro-ejaculatory effect of the aqueous crude extract of cihuapatli (Montanoa tomentosa) in spinal male rats. J Enthnopharmacol 2006;106:111-6.
24. Ismail SB, Wan Mohammad WMZ, George A, Nik Hussain NH, Kamal ZMM, Liske E. Randomized clinical trial on the use of PHYSTA freeze-dried water extract of Eurycoma longifolia for the improvement of the quality of life and sexual well-being in men. J Evidence-Based Complementary Altern Med 2012;1-0. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/429268.
25. Tambi M, Imran M, Henkel R. Standardised waterâ€soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with lateâ€onset hypogonadism? Andrologia 2012;44:226-30.
26. George A, Henkel R. Phytoandrogenic properties of Eurycoma longifolia as a natural alternative to testosterone replacement therapy. Andrologia 2014;46:708-21.
27. Sreedevi P, Vijayalakshmi K, Venkateswari R. Evaluation of Punica granatum L. leaf extract. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:14-8.
28. Bhat R, Karim A. Tongkat ali (Eurycoma longifolia Jack): a review on its ethnobotany and pharmacological importance. Fitoterapia 2010;81:669-79.
29. Malaysian Standards. Phytopharmaceutical aspects of freeze dried water extract from tongkat ali roots-specification. Department Standards Malaysia 2011;MS:2409.
30. Sambandan TG, Rha CK, Kadir AA, Aminudim N, Saad JM. Inventors; Government of Malaysia, Massachusetts Insitute of Technology, assignee. The bioactive fraction of Eurycoma longifolia. US7132117B2; 2006.
31. Ang HH, Cheang HS, Yusof APM. Effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack (Tongkat Ali) on the initiation of sexual performance of inexperienced castrated male rats. Exp Anim 2000;49:35-8.
32. Ang HH, Chan KL, Gan EK, Yuen KH. Enhancement of sexual motivation in sexually naive male mice by Eurycoma longifolia. Int J Pharmacogn 1997;35:144-6.
33. Zanoli P, Zavatti M, Montanari C, Baraldi M. Influence of Eurycoma longifolia on the copulatory activity of sexually sluggish and impotent male rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2009;126:308-13.
34. Ang H, Ngai T. Aphrodisiac evaluation in nonâ€copulator male rats after chronic administration of Eurycoma longifolia Jack. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2001;15:265-8.
35. Ang HH, Sim MK. Eurycoma longifolia increases sexual motivation in sexually naive male rats. Arch Pharm Res 1998;21:779-81.
36. Pfaus JG, Frank A. Beach award: homologies of animal and human sexual behaviors. Horm Behav 1996;30:187-200.
37. Yakubu MT, Akanji MA, Oladiji AT. Aphrodisiac potentials of the aqueous extract of Fadogia agrestis (Schweinf. Ex Hiern) stem in male albino rats. Asian J Androl 2005;7:399-404.
38. Singh S, Nair V, Gupta YK. Evaluation of the aphrodisiac activity of Tribulus terrestris Linn. in sexually sluggish male albino rats. J Pharmacol Pharmacother 2012;3:43-7.
39. Gauthaman K, Adaikan PG, Prasad RNV. Aphrodisiac properties of Tribulus Terrestris extract (Protodioscin) in normal and castrated rats. Life Sci 2002;71:1385-96.
40. Yakubu M, Afolayan A. Effect of aqueous extract of Bulbine natalensis (Baker) stem on the sexual behaviour of male rats. Int J Androl 2009;32:629-36.
41. Shekar S, Vazir M, Kempanna B, Miryala SK, Subedi A. Effect of yohimbine on clomipramine-induced sexual dysfunction in male rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:92-6.
42. Putnam SK, Du J, Sato S, Hull EM. Testosterone restoration of copulatory behavior correlates with medial preoptic dopamine release in castrated male rats. Horm Behav 2001;39:216-24.
43. Morales A, Buvat J, Gooren LJ, Guay AT, Kaufman JM, Tan HM, et al. Endocrine aspects of sexual dysfunction in men. J Sex Med 2004;1:69-81.
44. Talbott SM, Talbott JA, George A, Pugh M. Effect of tongkat ali on stress hormones and psychological mood state in moderately stressed subjects. J Int Soc Sport Nutr 2013;10:28.
45. Ali J, Saad J. Biochemical effect of Eurycoma longifolia Jack on the sexual behaviour, fertility, sex hormone and glycolysis [Dissertation]. Department of Biochemistry: University of Malaya; 1993.
46. Aversa A, Fabbri A. New oral agents for erectile dysfunction: what is changing in our practice. Asian J Androl 2001;3:175-9.