FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF FLOATING IN SITU GEL OF RANITIDINE USING NATURAL POLYMERS
Objective: To formulate and evaluate floating in situ gel of Ranitidine using natural polymers like sodium alginate and pectin and calcium carbonate as cross-linking agent.
Methods: The in situ gel was prepared by mixing sodium alginate (SA), calcium carbonate, sodium citrate and ranitidine. The formulated in situ gel was evaluated for physicochemical parameters, In vitro buoyancy study and In vitro release study.
Results: The In vitro drug release profile demonstrated the positive effect of concentration of both sodium alginate (SA) and Calcium Carbonate on comparing various formulations. It was also found that the ratio of SA and CaCO3 also affects the release pattern. The drug release pattern from the formulations was found to follow Fickian diffusion of the drug.
Conclusion: With the suitable concentration of SA and CaCO3, the sustained release of the drug can be achieved by in situ gel along with good floating properties. Thus, this approach provides a potential development of sustained release floating in situ system of the liquid preparations.
2. Vyas J, Ghedia T, Gajjar V, Christian V, Upadhyay U. A review on novel in situ polymeric drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Res Development 2011;3:53â€“9.
3. Rathod H, Patel V, Modasiya M. In situ gel as a novel approach of gastroretentive drug delivery. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2010;1:440-7.
4. Modasiya MK, Prajapati BG, Patel VM, Patel JK. Sodium alginate based in situ gelling system of famotidine: preparation and In-vivo characterizations. E-J Sci Technol 2010;5:27-42.
5. Prasad VB, Rao GSNK, Rani BR, Kumar BR, Sudhaka B, Devi PU, et al. In vitro and in-vivo evaluation tests for floating drug delivery systems: a review. Int J Pharm 2012;2:645-55.
6. Debnath S, Babu MN, Kusuma G, Saraswathi K, Sramika NK, Reddy AK. Formulation and evaluation of floatable in situ gel as carrier for stomach-specific drug delivery of metoclopramide HCl. Int J Pharm Frontier Res 2011;1:53-64.
7. Panwar P, Chourasiya D, Jain G, Sheorey RV. Formulation and evaluation of oral floatable in-situ gel of diltiazem HCL. Int J Novel Drug Delivery Technol 2012;2:264-70.
8. Validation of analytical procedures, text and methodology Q2 (R1). ICH harmonized tripartite guidelines; 2005
9. Miyazaki S, Kubo W, Attwood D. Oral sustained delivery of theophylline using in-situ gelation of sodium alginate. J Controlled Rel 2000;67:275â€“80
10. Kant A, Reddy S, Shankraiah MM, Venkatesh JS, Nagesh C. In Situ Gelling System-A overview. Pharmacologyonline 2011;2:28-44.
11. Wamorkar V, Varma MM, Manjunath SY. Formulation and evaluation of stomach specific in-situ gel of metoclopramide using natural, bio-degradable, polymers. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2011;2:193-201.
12. Bhimani DR, Patel JK, Patel VP, Detroja CM. Development and evaluation of floating in situ gelling system of clarithromycin. Int J Pharm Res Development 2011;3:32â€“40.
13. Patel JK, Chavda JR, Modasiya MK. Floating in situ gel based on alginate as carrier for stomach-specific drug delivery of famotidine. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotechnol 2010;3:1092-104
14. U S. Pharmacopeial Convention. United States Pharmacopeia 30 and National Formulary 25. Rockville, MD: USP; 2007.