AMELIORATIVE ROLE OF BEE HONEY AND ROYAL JELLY AGAINST CISPLATIN INDUCED ALTERATION IN HEMATOLOGICAL PARAMETERS IN MALE WISTER ALBINO RAT
Objective: This study aims to investigate the ameliorative role of dietary bee honey and royal jelly against cisplatin-induced alterations in hematological parameters in male wistar albino rat.
Methods: Male wistar albino rats of same age and weight were randomly divided into four groups; G, I: control group which was given 0.9% saline, G: II: cisplatin (7 mg/kg/d) was injected intraperitoneally for 15 d, G, III bee honey with royal jelly (500 mg/kg/d of honey and 100 mg/kg/d of royal jelly) fed orally daily for 15 d, G, IV: cisplatin (7 mg/kg/d) was injected intraperitoneally and honey (500 mg/kg/d) and royal Jelly (100 mg/kg/d) fed orally daily for 15 d. The hematological parameters like total number of white blood cells (WBCs), red blood cells (RBCs), platelets, % of hemoglobin (Hb), and mean values of packed cell volume (PCV), mean corpuscular volume (MCV) and mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC) were measured by using automated hematology system.
Results: Cisplatin treated rats revealed a significant decrease in total number of white blood cells (WBCs), red blood cells (R. B. Cs), platelets, percentage of hemoglobin (Hb), and mean values of packed cell volume (PCV), corpuscular volume (MCV) and corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC) as compared to control group. Royal jelly and honey treated group of rats revealed a significant increase in all blood parameters compared to control group. Dietary bee honey with royal jelly along with cisplatin-treated rats revealed significant increas as compared to animals treated with cisplatin (G, II) and the computed significant valus for the above parameters are 10.00, 2.30, 8,54, 12.00, 35.00, 47.40 and 32,30 respectively.
Conclusion: Bee honey and royal jelly could be used as dietary preventive natural products against cisplatin-induced hematological alterations during the treatment of cancer.
2. Pradeep K, Mohan C, Gobianand K, Karthikeyan S. Silymarin modulates the oxidant-antioxidant imbalance during diethyl nitrosamine-induced oxidative stress in rats. Eur J Pharmacol 2007;560:110â€“6.
3. Ohno S, Strebell FR, Stephens LC, Siddik ZH, Baba H, Makino M, et al. Hematological toxicity of carboplatin and cisplatin combined with whole body hyperthermia in rats. Br J Cancer 1993;68:469-74.
4. Shirzad M, Kordyazdi R, Shahinfard N, Nikokar M. Does royal jelly affect tumor cells. J Herbmed Pharmacol 2013;2:45-8.
5. Atrooz OM, Al-Sabayleh MA, Al-Abbadi SY. Studies on physical and chemical analysis of various honey samples and their antioxidant activities. J Bio Sci 2008;8:1338-42.
6. Alemu Y, Atomsa A, Sahlemariam Z. Hematology. Lecture notes for medical laboratory students. Jimma University, Ethiopia: Ethiopia Public Health Training Initiative; 2006.
7. Manzone TA, Dam HQ, Soltis D, Sagar VV. Blood volume analysis: A new technique and new clinical interest reinvigorate a classic study. J Nucl Med Technol 2007;35:55-63.
8. Yildirim S, Kisa F, Karadeniz A, Yildirim A, Karakoc A, Can I, et al. Effects of pomegranate seed extract on liver paraoxonase and bcl-xL activities in rats treated with cisplatin. J Med Plant Res 2012;6:2317â€“23.
9. Ashry K, Elkady AA. Royal jelly modulates the hepatotoxic effect of rats treated with cisplatin. ESNSA 2014;47:172-80.
10. Abd Ali AR, Ismail SH. The protective effect of honey against amikacin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Iraqi J Pharm Sci 2012;21:85-93.
11. Dacie JU, Lewis SM. Practical haematology. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingston. 5th ed. Longman Publishers; 1975.
12. Hassan S, Chibber I, Naseem. Ameliorative effect of riboflavin on the cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and hepatotoxicity under photo-illumination. Food Chem Toxicol 2010;48:2052â€“8.
13. Markovic SD, Zizic JB, Djacic DS, Obradovic AD, Curcic MG, Cvetkovic DM, et al. Alteration of oxidative stress parameters in red blood cells of rats after chronic in vivo treatment with cisplatin and selenium arch. Biol Sci Belgrade 2011;63:991â€“9.
14. Nematbakhsh M, Ashrafi F, Safari T, Talebi Nasri H, Mortazavi M, Khazaei M, et al. Molecular chaperones and proteostasis regulation during redox imbalance. Redox Biol 2014;2:323â€“32.
15. Oruc E, Kara A, Can I, Karadeniz A, Simsek N. Caspase-3 and CD68 Immunoreactivity in lymphoid tissues and haematology of rats exposed to cisplatin and L-carnitine. Kafkas Universitesi Veteriner Fakultesi Dergisi 2012;18:871-8.
16. Nasr AY. Protective effect of aged garlic extract against the oxidative stress induced by cisplatin on blood cells parameters and hepatic antioxidant enzymes in rats. Toxicol Reports 2014;6:682â€“91.
17. Ahmeda WM, Khalaf AA, Moselhyc WA, Safwat GM. Royal jelly attenuates azathioprine-induced toxicity in rats. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2014;37:431-7.
18. Maheswari R, Manohari S. Syzygium cumini (L.) seeds extract ameliorates cisplatin-induced hepatotoxicity in male Wistar rats. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;6:444-50.
19. Zammble DB, Lippared SJ. Cisplatin and DNA repair in cancer chemotherapy. Trends Biochem Sci 1995;20:435-9.
20. Nowrousian MR, Schmidt CG. Effects of cisplatin on different haemopoietic progenitor cells in mice. Br J Cancer 1982;46:397â€“402.
21. Malarczyk E, Kandefer-Szerszen M, Jarosz-WilkoÅ‚azka A. The influence of very low doses of cisplatin on tumor cell proliferation in vitro and on some hematological and enzymatic parameters of healthy rats. Nonlinearity Biol Toxicol Med 2003;1:123-37.
22. Hoagland HC. Hematologic complications of cancer chemotherapy. Seminoncol l982;9:95-102.
23. Mahadev MN. Protective effects of cystone, a polyherbal ayurvedic preparation, on cisplatin-induced renal toxicity in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 1998;62:1-6.
24. Bhavaraju VM, Reed NS, Habeshaw T. Acute toxicity of concomitant treatment of chemoradiation with single-agent cisplatin in patients with carcinoma of the cervix. J Physiol Sci 2004;17:90-7.
25. Khynriam D, Prasad SB. Hematotoxicity and blood glutathione levels after cisplatin treatment of tumour-bearing mice. Cell Biol Toxicol 2001;17:357-70.
26. Geyikog F, Suat C, Olak HT, Murat B, Koc K, Hosseinigouzdagani M, et al. Oleuropein ameliorates cisplatin-induced hematological damages via restraining oxidative stress and DNA injury. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfusion 2016;33:348â€“54.
27. Longchar A, Prasad SB. Ascorbic acid (vitamin c) ameliorates cisplatin-induced hematotoxicity in tumour-bearing mice. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;5:1870-91.
28. Sirage HM. Biochemical and hematological studies for the protective effect of Oyster Mushroom (Pleurotusostreatus) against glycerolinduced acute renal failure in rats. J Biol Sci 2009;9:746â€“52.
29. Olas B, Wachowicz B, Majsterek I, Blasiak J. Resveratrol may reduce oxidative stress induced by platinum compounds in human plasma, blood platelets and lymphocytes. Anticancer Drugs 2005;16:659â€“65.
30. Zazgornik J. Azathioprine-induced macrocytosis and red cell aplasia in renal transplant patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1997;12:2689-91.
31. Baliga R, Zhang Z, Baliga M, Ueda N, Shah SV. In vitro and in vivo evidence suggesting a role for iron in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Kidney Int 1998;53:394â€“401.
32. Cazzola M. Mechanisms of anaemia in patients with malignancy: implications for the clinical use of recombinant human erythropoietin. Med Oncol 2000;17:11â€“6.
33. Getaz EP, Beckly S, Fitzpatrick J, Dozier A. Cisplatin-induced haemolysis. N Engl J Med 1980;302:334-5.
34. Levi A, Aroney RS, Dalley DN. Hemolytic anemia after cisplatin treatment. Br Med J 1981;282:2003-4.
35. Van Nguyen B, Jaffe N. Cisplatin induced anaemia. N Engl J Med 1981;303:110-1.
36. Maloisel F, Kurtz JE, Andres E, Gorodetsky C, Dufour P, Oberling F. Platin salts-induced hemolytic anemia: cisplatin-and the first case of carboplatin-induced hemolysis. Anticancer Drugs 1995;6:324-6.
37. Gao LP, Li Z, Guo ZY, Zhao YM. The effects of vitamin C on DDP-induced anemia in rats. Toxicol Mech Methods 2013;23:383â€“8.
38. Ghosh S, Bandyopadhyay S, Bhattacharya DK, Mandal C. Altered erythrocyte membrane characteristics during anemia in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Ann Hematol 2005; 84:76â€“84.
39. Niforou K, Cheimonidou C, Trougakos IP. Molecular chaperones and proteostasis regulation during redox imbalance. Redox Biol 2014;2:323â€“32.
40. Onat H, Inanc SE, Dalay N, Karaloglu D, Erturk N, Yasasever V. Effect of cisplatin on erythropoietin and iron changes. Eur J Cancer 1993;29:777â€“81.
41. Bosing B, Tunsmeyer J, Mischke R, Beyerbach M, Kastner SB. Clinical usability and practicability of Alfaxalone for short-term anesthesia in the cat after premedication with Buprenorphine. Tierarztl Prax Ausg K Kleintiere Heimtiere 2012;40:17-25.
42. Jenkins VK, Perry RR, Goodrich WE. Effects of cisdiamminedichloro platinum (II) on hematopoietic stem cells in mice. Exp Hematol 1981;9:281-7.
43. Nowrousian MR, Schmidt CG. Effects of cisplatin on different haemopoietic progenitor cells in mice. Br J Cancer 1982; 46:397â€“402.
44. Wood PA, William JM. Cisplatin-associated anemia: an erythropoietin deficiency syndrome. Clin Invest 1995; 95: 1650-9.
45. Abd El-Ghany MA, Ramadan AM, Ghozy SF. Nutraceutical effects of curcuma, ginger, celery, Yeast and honey on side effects of Gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. World Appl Sci 2012;16:646-55.
46. Halliwell B, Cross CE. Oxygen-derived species: their relation to human disease and environmental stress. EHP 1994;102:5-12.
47. Cherubini A, Vigna GB, Zuliani G. Role of antioxidants atherosclerosis: an epidemiological and clinical update. Curr Pharm Des 2005;11:2017â€“32.
48. Robards K, Prenzler PD, Tucker G, Swatsitang P, Glover W. Phenolic compounds and their role in oxidative processes in fruits. Food Chem 1999;66:401â€“36.
49. Silici S, Ekmekcioglu O, Kanbur M, Deniz K. The protective effect of royal jelly against cisplatin-induced renal oxidative stress in rats. World J Urol 2010;29:127-32.
50. Nakajima Y, Tsuruma K, Shimazawa M, Mishima S, Hara H. Comparison of bee products based on assays of antioxidant capacities. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2009;8:4-9.
51. Vela L, De Lorenzo C, Perez RA. Antioxidant capacity of spanish honey and its correlation with some physicochemical parameters and polyphenolic content. J Sci Food Agric 2007;87:1069â€“75.
52. Bogdanov S, Jurendic T, Sieber R, Gallmann P. Honey for nutrition and health: a review. J Am College Nutr 2008;27:677â€“89.
53. Krpan M, Markovic K, Saric G, Skoko B, Hruskar M, Vahcic N. Antioxidant activities and total Phenolics of acacia honey. Czech J Food Sci 2009;27:5245-7.
54. Mahaneem M, Sirajudeen KN, Swamy M, NikSoriani Y, Sulaiman SA. Studies on the antioxidant properties of tualang honey of Malaysia. Afr J Trad 2009;2:59â€“63.
55. Kassim M, Mansor M, Al-Abd N, Kamaruddin MY. Gelam honey has a protective effect against Lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced organ failure. Int J Mol Sci 2012;13:6370â€“81.
56. Azab KS, Bashandy M, Salem M, Ahmed O, Tawfik Z, Helal H. Royal jelly modulates oxidative stress and tissue injury in gamma-irradiated male Wister albino rats. N Am J Med Sci 2011;3:268-76.
57. Achuba FI, Nwokogba CC. Effect of honey supplementation on heamatological parameters of Wistar albino rats fed hydrocarbon contaminated diets. Biochemistry 2015;27:44â€“9.
58. Tandon SK, Singh S. Protection of lead-induced toxicity by honey in rats. Indu Toxicol Res 1994;32:149-53.